F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

Omg.......

:oops: :oops: :oops:

928392_20060921_screen002.jpg

928392_20060921_screen003.jpg

i cant understand the praise this looks pretty average
granted the cars are pretty hi poly
but the trees are flat and everything looks much to clean also the lightings not that great

i cant understand the praise this looks pretty average
granted the cars are pretty hi poly
but the trees are flat and everything looks much to clean also the lightings not that great

The praise is because no other racer looks like this yet? You can't have everything in the 1st release of the series! Also, when you play it I think the sense of speed may eliminate many of your complaints (the lighting you shouldn't dismiss so quickly, look at the other pictures).

Naw soldier the lighting is one of the best things in the game. Check out this gif

http://smallvillestories.free.fr/images/Afrika/f12.gif
The atmospheric lighting effects are great, but the lighting of the cars and, in particular, the scenery, can be pretty hit and miss. This game doesn't strike me as way beyond other racers. It has some nice touches, and moments of greatness, but on the whole, from what I've seen, it's about par for the course.

The atmospheric lighting effects are great, but the lighting of the cars and, in particular, the scenery, can be pretty hit and miss. This game doesn't strike me as way beyond other racers. It has some nice touches, and moments of greatness, but on the whole, from what I've seen, it's about par for the course.

So you are saying it's about RR7 and Need for Speed:Whateverthetitlenamethisyear edition level graphically?

So you are saying it's about RR7 and Need for Speed:Whateverthetitlenamethisyear edition level graphically?
They're very different art directions. What I'm saying is looking at the scenery for example, it's bland. There are instances of great lighting on the cars, and bland lighting too. I'm not seeing anything technically or particularly artistically superior to other titles. What does stand out, which i mentioned, are the special FX. The rain on the camera looks good, and the volumetric lighting looks good. The backgrounds are the same as most racing titles, simple geometry with photos/repeated textures slapped on them. The cars are high poly-count and some nice shading, like your typical racer. There's nothing here that I'm seeing (other than those FX) that makes me go 'wowza! That's new and clever.'

They're very different art directions. What I'm saying is looking at the scenery for example, it's bland. There are instances of great lighting on the cars, and bland lighting too. I'm not seeing anything technically or particularly artistically superior to other titles. What does stand out, which i mentioned, are the special FX. The rain on the camera looks good, and the volumetric lighting looks good. The backgrounds are the same as most racing titles, simple geometry with photos/repeated textures slapped on them. The cars are high poly-count and some nice shading, like your typical racer. There's nothing here that I'm seeing (other than those FX) that makes me go 'wowza! That's new and clever.'

you are one man that is hard to pleased.

The praise is because no other racer looks like this yet? You can't have everything in the 1st release of the series! Also, when you play it I think the sense of speed may eliminate many of your complaints (the lighting you shouldn't dismiss so quickly, look at the other pictures).

i think motion blur is doing a whole lot to make a lot of the hype though. you cant scrutinize what you cant see, and in many of those screenshots you cant make out anything except for a car or two. granted while playing you wont care about the surroundings, but for hype alone, if they removed the motion blur and the crowd looked like cardboard cut-outs while doing a two-stage up/down cheering motion and the track lacked definition you can bet comments would change pretty quick.

you are one man that is hard to pleased.
Yes and no ;). It looks good for sure, there's no denying that. I'm just with zed in not understand the high praise. It's good, but not OMG good, nor a game to hold up as a FANB0Y icon, 'PS3 can do F1, nyah nyah.' The only game I recall looking really good in the cars is GT5 in the latest pics, with some excellent lighting and shading. The scenery in that game needs improving though to really reach the heady OMG status :D

I partially agree with Shifty.. if only the team behind the PGR series could produce a game where cars have decent lighting and don't look as plastic reproductions of real cars inserted into some highly realistic enviroment.. but this is OT :) It's also true that in the latest GT4/5 screen shots lighting on cars is mind blowing, but scenery lags behind.. woops..another OT :p

Back