F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

I partially agree with Shifty.. if only the team behind the PGR series could produce a game where cars have decent lighting and don't look as plastic reproductions of real cars inserted into some highly realistic enviroment.. but this is OT :) It's also true that in the latest GT4/5 screen shots lighting on cars is mind blowing, but scenery lags behind.. woops..another OT :p

I mean yeah the game isn't 2 years ahead of its time graphically. But seriously god is it pretty. In my eyes PGR3 is still the best looking released game in history. And all it needed for me to be better was less jaggies and a slightly better framerate.

This game has that. And with dynamic weather included it makes me say "WOW".

if only the team behind the PGR series could produce a game where cars have decent lighting and don't look as plastic reproductions of real cars inserted into some highly realistic enviroment.. but this is OT :) It's also true that in the latest GT4/5 screen shots lighting on cars is mind blowing, but scenery lags behind.. woops..another OT :p
Yep! If the PGR environments met the GT car rendering, we'd have as good as it gets this gen!

I remember it was in '97 (Psygnosis F1 '98 psx) that I swore off F1 games until the day that they could be played at an acceptable resolution so you could actually see the track properly. At that time I thought the successor to the Playstation would be able to output the neccesary resolutions, but I had to wait longer.

The wait is over. I'm excited for this.

Soooooo......you are saying that the game doesn't look like that?
I've just switched to unkimited Broadband, and can download HD trailers to my hearts content. I looked at this movie from gametrailers. Ignoring the incompetant driver smacking into all the other cars without any damage at all...what about this vid looks (photo)realistic? Or any better than other racers? I notice no point where the game doesn't look like a computer game.

I've just switched to unkimited Broadband, and can download HD trailers to my hearts content. I looked at this movie from gametrailers. Ignoring the incompetant driver smacking into all the other cars without any damage at all...what about this vid looks (photo)realistic? Or any better than other racers? I notice no point where the game doesn't look like a computer game.

I'm in no way saying this game looks like true real life. I'm saying it's one of the best looking racing games in history. The lighting and F1 models in particular are outstanding.

There's no crash physics/effects?

Yes. The devs knew that one of the things that held F1 games back from being open to a bigger audience was that it can be a hard game sometimes. So they decided to add an arcade mode that didn't blow your car up and is easier to drive with the aids on.

You can take them off at will.

Yes. The devs knew that one of the things that held F1 games back from being open to a bigger audience was that it can be a hard game sometimes. So they decided to add an arcade mode that didn't blow your car up and is easier to drive with the aids on.

That's the right choice. Real-life F1 would see most gamers die repeatedly off the grid and barely race!

But do they have damage models or not? I guess I could understand if they didn't, although I find it kinda lame this gen (PS3 and 360).

What do you mean damage models?

Is the damage to the cars reflected on how they look? If you crash is the car destroyed? Like I said I can understand if they don't have that in a F1 game, but still it would be nice to see you car getting wrecked if you hit a wall at 200 mph.

Is the damage to the cars reflected on how they look? If you crash is the car destroyed? Like I said I can understand if they don't have that in a F1 game, but still it would be nice to see you car getting wrecked if you hit a wall at 200 mph.

Oh okay I see what you mean. Yeah I know in the demo when I wrecked one of my tires flew off. I hope the real game has even more damage that can be done to your car though.

the PSN demo has an option to add car damage.
I didnt see it before, but I switched it on at one point.
It's what you would expect from the PS3 and physics ;)

Japanese version of game is out. Neogaf already has some impressions and pictures. BTW, no multiplayer, same as motorstorm :-/

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/335016136_1dddf3f49f_b.jpg

DCharlie:

just had a quick go - have to go eat and stuff :

+ looks great
+ handles very well indeed (not tried wheel yet)
+ great sense of speed
+ lot of menus in english
+ has the 'correct japanese F1 music' (according to Mrs C)
+ has not been affected by the GTHD shock - still looks great.
+ excellent view from in camera.
+ nut popping replays
+ excellent sound *(warning - i just upgraded my sound, som everything suddenly sounds good)
+ watching suspension in replay is pretty nice
+ awesome lighting and reflections
+ options to make it noob friendly (steering assistance, anti lock brakes, spin recovery etc...) or not (obviously)
+ Replay TV - simulates race, you watch - so you can watch the engine do its thing... and it's :O)
+ weather is impressive looking

- commentary in Japanese (what little there is)
- some text in english (tips trivial etc - not tried anything other than straight mode)
- psp wing mirror options gone?
- 1 player only - no split screen, no link up, no online... no thing
- looooooooooad timeeeees

? no 1080i support
? no force feed back support
? race track background somewhat bland (err

Remember this is off one quick race - i need to play some more but so far the signs are pretty good sofar

-----

your race options are :

Race
Time attack
Single weekend
World championship - practice qualitying etc... all very light and fluffy - for me thats fine, for sim fans, i think it's going to piss them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back