Exclusive GTA IV content for PS3 too

Well, even you were misled by Moore's comments, so it wasn't as plain and simple as you guys are trying to make out. Just admit that it was intended to deceive people (remember the confusion?) and kudos to them for executing it well...because we're still talking about it now!

No, I was miseld by gamespot's bad paraphrasing of the speech. His exact words were "GTA will be available on Day 1 for 360" how is that intended to decieve? Tricky wording at best, intended to decieve, no.

I mean, just ask Scooby (or the many PlayStation fans that were crying that day...or the many 360 fans that were jumping for joy) why he initially believed that the game was a timed exclusive for the 360. Lack of comprehension of the English language, or more likely, fell victim to the cleverly concocted delivery of Moore's announcement? In hindsight, it's easy to say: "I knew it all along".

At the time we were reading a realtime blog report of the conference, gamespot reported it as exclusive, I did not fall victim to anything other than shoddy reporting.

I interpreted that as "most videos used in-game assets", but not all. Is that how you understood that comment?

"Virtually everything" is a pretty clear statement. And when multiple video's were farmed out to CG studios with zero "ingame" assets this is obviously bullshit.

Sony should work on getting exclusive content on the Blu-Ray disc, use the capacity advantage.

Also maybe higher res textures.

They might have to pay Rockstar and Take Two but it would be worth it.

The downloadable thing is okay but the disc should be the main focus.

Also, any word on the multiplayer features?

Both companies should be putting up servers to host big multiplayer games.

No, I was miseld by gamespot's bad paraphrasing of the speech. His exact words were "GTA will be available on Day 1 for 360" how is that intended to decieve? Tricky wording at best, intended to decieve, no.

Well personally I didnt know what to make out of this. Add the highlight and confusion gets bigger as to what he was trying to say.

It was typical PR announcment. Make something small sound like something huge. I dont know if it was intended to decieve or if it was vaque on purpose. Most likely it was a smart use of words in order not to end up like the Sony guy shouting "RRIIIIIIIDGE RAAAACEEEEEER" which was nothing worth of mention :LOL:

He was supposed to give us a big surprise. Well, we were eager to get surprised. Holding on "our seats" he reveals slowly the tatoo and.....Whats that? ITS GTA! This is supposed to be a big surprise! So it should be something big!

The words "GTA will be available on Day 1 for 360" could mean lots of things.

What does it mean? Available on Day 1 for 360 only?? Available on 360 only for ever? Available for 360 only for some time? No longer a PS3 time exclusive thus released simultaneously on both consoles? The last is the least interesting from such an announcement. Nothing special. Tnen exclusive content is announced and tthings get messier

PS3 fans arent the only ones suffering from wishful thinking. 360 fans can sometimes seem worse. So after seeing that presentation and hoping it ment something big like probably GTA being a 360 exclusive, they started spreading the supposed news. Media didnt know what to make out of it either. Thats why you were confused by Gamespot, and thats why these very forums were inflated with assumptions revolving the questions above.

Even today some people cant get over the fact that the announcment was no big news (apart from some online exclusive content) thus they still like living under the impression the announcment was about a PS3 exclusive going to 360.

Well personally I didnt know what to make out of this. Add the highlight and confusion gets bigger as to what he was trying to say.

It was typical PR announcment. Make something small sound like something huge. I dont know if it was intended to decieve or if it was vaque on purpose. Most likely it was a smart use of words in order not to end up like the Sony guy shouting "RRIIIIIIIDGE RAAAACEEEEEER" which was nothing worth of mention :LOL:

He was supposed to give us a big surprise. Well, we were eager to get surprised. Holding on "our seats" he reveals slowly the tatoo and.....Whats that? ITS GTA! This is supposed to be a big surprise! So it should be something big!

The words "GTA will be available on Day 1 for 360" could mean lots of things.

What does it mean? Available on Day 1 for 360 only?? Available on 360 only for ever? Available for 360 only for some time? No longer a PS3 time exclusive thus released simultaneously on both consoles? The last is the least interesting from such an announcement. Nothing special. Tnen exclusive content is announced and tthings get messier

PS3 fans arent the only ones suffering from wishful thinking. 360 fans can sometimes seem worse. So after seeing that presentation and hoping it ment something big like probably GTA being a 360 exclusive, they started spreading the supposed news. Media didnt know what to make out of it either. Thats why you were confused by Gamespot, and thats why these very forums were inflated with assumptions revolving the questions above.

Even today some people cant get over the fact that the announcment was no big news (apart from some online exclusive content) thus they still like living under the impression the announcment was about a PS3 exclusive going to 360.

Well if you look at the history of GTA on the Xbox then his statement makes perfect sense. "Day 1" versus "Day 365+". It was a statement that told us that the time exlusive on the playstation was no more.

Development of this game must have started right after San Andreas shipped.. and Sony backed out of a exclusive deal last year.

PS3 lead confirmed? :LOL:

According to who??

You??

Don't claim such statements without the meat (link) to back it up my friend.. :rolleyes:

No, according to most people here on beyond 3d.

Nobody is going to tell you the exact polycount because it was a CGI video, that the developers, for obvious reasons will not talk about.

Just find a HD version of the clip and take a look how incredibly detailed things are. Polycounts are through the roof compared to gears of war.

Read up here:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26959&highlight=killzone+poly

Make something small sound like something huge.

The announcement of GTA not being a Sony exclusive IS huge news. HUGE. As a 360 owner that was a great relief, nobody wants to wait 6months to play the hottest game around, and it was always a major reason people purchased PS2. For example, if this had not been announced, GTA4 would be the single biggest motivation for me to buy a PS3 in 2007, I know I'm not alone here.

As for the quote, it's obvious what he meant for anyone with any experience listening to PR speak. He didn't say exclusive, he didn't say "only" on 360, he simply said available on day 1. That's a fairly clear statement.

He even goes on to repeat that it will launch alongside the PS3 version about 20minutes later into the presentation. So how can you honestly argue he was trying to decieve? It's ridiculous really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote, it's obvious what he meant for anyone with any experience listening to PR speak. He didn't say exclusive, he didn't say "only" on 360, he simply said available on day 1. That's a fairly clear statement.
'Clear statements' are actually very subjective, it seems. Harrison clearly stated about certain demo clips that they were visualizations from studios, but many a person misheard what was said rather than hearing the exact PR speak. Either PR speak needs to be transparent and unambiguous, or everyone should stop expecting it to be so, but either way it'd be nice if there was some consistency in how PR is dealt with.

(we all know where this thread is going now! :runaway:)

3. Sony chose not to pimp their exclusive content or even discuss the game

I cease to see how MS having exclusive content and "overblowing" it distracts the fact that Sony could have announced their exclusive content -- or even announced the game! -- at E3 2006.

It isn't MS's job to do Sony PR.

If Sony wanted to over-overblow the MS PR they should have announced their own exclusive content. You cannot blame MS for Sony giving them a free pass. Nothing changes the fact MS's console is getting 2 missions from the best selling series in the last 5 years. I could care less (GTA... meh) but I am surprised at how misdirected the angst is on this issue.

Is it possible that discussion between Take Two/Rockstar and Sony were not in a shape that allowed Sony to discuss this at E3 2006 ?
Of course it is good for MS but it doesn't seem like Sony deliberately chose not to discuss it.

Maybe something interesting, from an 1up blog (the same blog where was said that MGS4 is coming to Xbox 360)

And yes, we all know the PS3 is really a powerhouse and that there are games coming next year that wouldn't be possible on the 360. I guarantee you this, when GTA comes out on both consoles next fall, the PS3 version is going to look significantly better. You'll see.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7661195&publicUserId=4561231

I don't know if he just made that up, thinking it will be that way, or if he really heard that from an inside source though.

I can´t believe I got an anonymous bad-rep for this post:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=912095&postcount=48

What was wrong?
Some people take offense to anyone defending Sony on that E3 '05 topic. You were neg rep'd on your opinions, rather than on discussion style, which isn't in the spirit of Repping IMO, but then it's a free system for people to apply how they will.

I think raising the discussion of what Sony meant back then is always going to invoke some reactions. It was discussed to death, at least twice. Part of the problem is after the initial introduction of the movies, there were subsequent quotes from loads of different Sony sources. There was an inconsistent message from PR, which was certainly misleading if not downright false (and we don't know if the false statements are outright lies or confused spokespersons. If the CEO of Sony can give a wrong piece of info about PS3 as he isn't well informed, why not any other Sony spokesperson?). That's the nature of PR though. It's to present info in a way that makes you look stronger than perhaps you are. That's what this MS announcement was, both on the GTA content and next-gen Football announcements. They were saying they had exclusive content, and worded themselves well enough that many people were mislead into thinking they had something Sony didn't. Whingeing about how wrong MS or Sony or anyone else is on these sorts of comments is, quite frankly, a waste of time. They always will, and it's better for the masses to take everything said with the caveat that it's all PR, rather than take it as Gospel truths. Keep an eye out for the loop-holes. Subsequent discussion of comments should do that. eg. The football news was quickly identified as not being a serious coup for MS, as the exclusive football wasn't a clever buying tactic, but a matter of circumstance and the announcement came in for some clarification. The announcement of GTA exclusive content wasn't in itself exclusive, and didn't preclude other exclusive content coming to PS3.

Basically, people shouldn't get het up when the things they think they heard turn out not to be true. Much of what we hear is intended more as deliberate miscommunication than careful, explicit communication! :D

The announcement of GTA not being a Sony exclusive IS huge news. HUGE. As a 360 owner that was a great relief, nobody wants to wait 6months to play the hottest game around, and it was always a major reason people purchased PS2. For example, if this had not been announced, GTA4 would be the single biggest motivation for me to buy a PS3 in 2007, I know I'm not alone here.

As for the quote, it's obvious what he meant for anyone with any experience listening to PR speak. He didn't say exclusive, he didn't say "only" on 360, he simply said available on day 1. That's a fairly clear statement.

He even goes on to repeat that it will launch alongside the PS3 version about 20minutes later into the presentation. So how can you honestly argue he was trying to decieve? It's ridiculous really.

Thanks for proving one of my points right

Basically, people shouldn't get het up when the things they think they heard turn out not to be true. Much of what we hear is intended more as deliberate miscommunication than careful, explicit communication! :D
Hehe probably. But some mistakes could easily be avoided. I don't know what those Sony CEO's smoke but they should start doing their homework.
Especially Stringer. His 'And then we have got the European launch in April, which is very important to us' comments caused some heartattacks in Europe.
Not only the CEO's, even the official playstationsites are not 100% up to date.
According to this site
http://www.ps3.eu/nl-BE/techspecs/go.ps3
the 20 GB model still has no HDMI out. :???:

Is it?

I can't see a significant difference to the models shown in the killzone trailer and those in GoW except maybe a sh** of AA..

KZ trailer models were subdivided to ,5-1 million polygons at rendering time, resulting in smooth surfaces and shading.
Gears uses models with about 10,000 polygons, and relies on a few, relatively low-res 2K normal maps for the shading detail. Close-ups show pixelation.

Another important difference is that the content in Gears has been polished for many months, whereas the artists had tight deadlines on the KZ trailer. So, artistically the Gears models are more impressive, but they're technically inferior to a considerable degree.

Some people take offense to anyone defending Sony on that E3 '05 topic. You were neg rep'd on your opinions, rather than on discussion style, which isn't in the spirit of Repping IMO, but then it's a free system for people to apply how they will.

You are probably right, if the anonymous repper had pointed me toward those discussions I´ve at least had a clue. I wish more people would adapt your discussion style, you are a true role model. Seriously!

I believe I´ve actually never bad reped anyone around here, I either write a reply or a PM in the case I am of a different opinion. In some cases I´ve reported posts and left it to the moderators to deal with it, who I btw think do a very good job of keeping this discussion board worth visiting. I guess it´s not an easy job at times. :smile:

I believe I´ve actually never bad reped anyone around here, I either write a reply or a PM in the case I am of a different opinion. In some cases I´ve reported posts and left it to the moderators to deal with it, who I btw think do a very good job of keeping this discussion board worth visiting. I guess it´s not an easy job at times. :smile:

Well, you (like me) arent a "Senior Member" yet, so we cannot actually bad rep anyone :p

Anyways i gave you a +rep to make up for it :p

Well, you (like me) arent a "Senior Member" yet, so we cannot actually bad rep anyone :p

Anyways i gave you a +rep to make up for it :p

See, I´ve never even explored the possibilities of giving bad reps. :D

Thanks anyway. I feel bad at times for not giving more +reps than I occasionally do, because there are certainly a lot of people here who deserve it, I will try to improve. ;)

Back