European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally some pal numbers.

http://issuu.com/intentmedia/docs/mcv_issue550 page 33

ps3 ------- PAL 9.7 --- USA 7.9 --- japan 3.2 --- total = 20.8
xbox360 - PAL 10.0 --- USA 15.5 --- japan 1.1 --- total = 26.6
wii -------- PAL 17.7 --- USA 20.6 --- japan 8.1 --- total = 46.4

Hmm, considering the Jun end ship totals are at 23.8m PS3 and 31.4m 360, theyre saying 4.8 360's in the channel vs only 3m PS3's. Might be undercounting 360 a bit. Or I guess it could be that 360 is selling more in the rest of the world outside USA/EU/Japan I suppose.

What's even more interesting is looking at the year on year change...

Using the same order as above with PAL, USA. Ignoring Japan for this as the numbers for X360 are so small that any change is going to be greatly inflated.

PS3: -17%, -30%
X360: +20%, +20%
Wii: -15%, -13%

Looking at that. X360 should easily hit and exceed MS projections for flat growth for 2009.

However, for PS3 to hit Sony's projections of 13 million for 2009 which would be an increase of 30%. I don't think any combination of price cut + product launch is going to help them achieve that in this economic climate.

Regards,
SB

However, for PS3 to hit Sony's projections of 13 million for 2009 which would be an increase of 30%. I don't think any combination of price cut + product launch is going to help them achieve that in this economic climate.

Regards,
SB

To be fair, an extremely disproportionate amount of sales happen in the last few months of the year. A price cut in addition to consumer spending being massive over Xmas gives it the potential - but we'll have to see.

I think 13m PS3's is unlikely. They'll likely just change the forecast which theyve done before.

If 299 gives them impetus to actually hit it..kudos to them because that would be some big shipments.

To be fair, an extremely disproportionate amount of sales happen in the last few months of the year. A price cut in addition to consumer spending being massive over Xmas gives it the potential - but we'll have to see.

At this rate they would have to sell over 10 million units for the holiday season.

I don't see that happening in this economic climate. They'll be lucky if they can sell over 5 million units this holiday season.

And to be clear, I'm not expecting X360 or Wii to do much better.

Regards,
SB

There has only been one quarter. :)

And considering sales have been trending down, you expect the 2nd FQ to be better than the first? :)

Granted if the PS3 Slim is released around 299 USD or lower, then 2nd FQ might get to 1.5 or 2 million units. So then adjust it down to PS3 having to sell 8-9 million in the Holiday season which I still think is impossible in this economic climate.

Regards,
SB

This has to be some kind of first...

What what What?

Bill
Yeah?
Sony Called...
What?
They want us to increase the price so they look less like idiots.

But After reading the Article. .the moral of the story is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Our independent retail source said this is being done to counteract the poor pound-to-Euro currency exchange rate.

Yeah.. we figured that out quite some time ago. the UK is getting robbed of cheap DVDs/Games/BluRay by us Euros.
The Price drop of the Elite is now guaranteed as well.

A thought just occured. Do MS want the psychology benefit of a price cut before Christmas without wanting to lose money? If so, putting the price up now to take it down in 3 months could work, although that seems pretty odd. Otherwise they'd just have a static price and no better perceived value than now.

The original MCV article also says this...

"However, a closer inspection of the documentation sent to retailers seems to suggest that the Xbox 360 Arcade listing is a placeholder for an as-of-yet unspecified SKU"

May be a little more to this than a price hike. A price hike to the Arcade model and a dumping of the 5 games seems wholly unrealistic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back