Europe Rejects Software Patents

Shocked

hmm, politicians making a wise decision?

signhell.jpg

ahh. that makes sense..

software patents were already rejected by the european parliament some time ago. that's what you get with less corrupted politicians.

He probably means that in the US politicians are much closer, ahem...., with the software producing multinationals which in my opinion IS the case. In the EU there is a much wider acceptance for the open source efforts.

You guys don't want this thread to visit the RPSC sub-forum. Keep the discussion on the topic of software patents not politics.

Reactions: Geo
Well, this is pretty much a purely political thread anyways.

Still, this is great for European programmers, not having to worry about stupid patent lawsuits. I bet you'll find that in a few years many of the best programs will only be available in Europe. When that happens, you'll find that software patents will cease to exist in the USA shortly thereafter. Well, either that or American software companies actively rip off all the European ones.

geo said:
I know this will cause joy in some quarters here. . .
I'm glad they did it right. But the problem with this is that this hasn't been the first time, and it won't be the last time. The issue is brought up again and again, and I'm sure the next effort is already in the planning stages right now.
Unless something fundamental changes with the EU administration (like, say, it is dissolved ...) software patents will eventually be legalized. It's only a matter of time.

Back