What are some good, free photo sorting/cataloging software?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I've been searching through 20+ years of digital photos looking for some old pet pictures, isn't there some software that can autosort images by content? I don't recall looking in to it and before I jumped down the Google rabbit hole of people trying to sell me software I thought it wise to ask here for advice first.

Thanks in advance!

Google photos

If you have pixel 1, it's totally free, unlimited.

For photos, videos. Including RAW.

I can search by content

- person
- text
- animals
- plants

Google photos

If you have pixel 1, it's totally free, unlimited.

For photos, videos. Including RAW.

I can search by content

- person
- text
- animals
- plants
I have a pixel, but I'm talking about organizing about a 130GB worth of photos on my PC's hard drive. Had Adobe installed so I started Bridge indexing it, but it's been going for 7 hours now with no end in sight.

I have a pixel, but I'm talking about organizing about a 130GB worth of photos on my PC's hard drive. Had Adobe installed so I started Bridge indexing it, but it's been going for 7 hours now with no end in sight.

Yeah, once uploaded hundreds of gigs of photos / videos with pixel and it took weeks. It didn't help that photos often seeks not doing anything despite it is still doing things (so don't close photos), and pixel often overheats.

For local library, windows 11 photos can do auto grouping and search. But much less reliable than Google photos IME

Photos app don't really index content, and I don't know any desktop photo manager which does this. Google Photos is the best option if you want your photos to be indexed on more than just dates.

Photos app don't really index content, and I don't know any desktop photo manager which does this. Google Photos is the best option if you want your photos to be indexed on more than just dates.
Thanks, I was just figuring that out but hearing it from someone else helps. There doesn't seem to be desktop software that will sort based on content, at least not yet. :(

I think I want some software that just isn't available for the desktop yet. :(

Thank you for the help everyone, appreciated. :)

Maybe try with a subset of your gallery first and see whether it fits your needs
DEFINITELY! A very small sample to learn/test the software on. I should have done that in the first place, but I figured with all the imaging advances that there would be something that could do it easily available. I do see a market for such software.

I'm embarrassed to post this, but admitting ignorance is one of the prices of knowledge so here goes...

I got Docker set up, did the first tutorial and half the second. I can't figure out how to clone the photoprism github repository in to Dockers so I can run the container. (I think I said that right, I had a BLAST last night playing with this stuff! Haven't gotten so lost in geeking out in a while, my family even asked me what was up since I "had that look in my eye". :D ) How do I get to a command line interface in docker to enter the command to clone the github repository? How do I get a command prompt in Docker?

I'm really stuck on that. I was doing great and sort of understand what's going on but I hit a total brick wall on that one. I figure it's so obvious no one bothers to explain it, but I is clueless and any help would be greatly appreciated.

You invoke the command from windows terminal or from linux terminal. Not from docker itself.

Also doesn't seem need to clone the git manually

I wonder why so many open source project like these didn't include a one-click installer wizard

Even a simple bat file would helps tremendously.

Thank you again for all your help. I got git bash installed and working, made it so my command prompt can act as a terminal, and successfully used both to clone the photoprism repository off Github! :D

One problem, I have no clue where i cloned it to or how to access it with Docker. Could I trouble you for more help? At your convenience of course. :)

Thank you again for all your help. I got git bash installed and working, made it so my command prompt can act as a terminal, and successfully used both to clone the photoprism repository off Github! :D

One problem, I have no clue where i cloned it to or how to access it with Docker. Could I trouble you for more help? At your convenience of course. :)
Almost midnight now, so maybe tmr I can take a look at it. But from. What I read, It. Seems the docker yml should do everything.

So the files would be inside docker. To see. Those. Files, would need to go inside docker instance.

Anyway, I will look at it tmr

Back