Engaget: 360 v2 'Zephyr' - HDMI, 65nm?, 120gb HDD (picture)

Now that we see the rumor of HDMI-equipped XBOX 360, will those 150,000 people feel screwed to have bought the add-on?

that's a good question.

If the HDMI rumor is true, I'd bet some of the HD DVD owners may have preferred to have HDMI but really it's only useful (effectively) for 1080p TVs which as we know is still at a fairly low adoption rate.

wouldn't doubt though that of those who purchased an HD DVD player (this early) many may also have adopted a 1080p TV.

Personally I have a 1080i crt and bought the HD DVD player for 360 and so it would not bother me in the least.

Also, until we know more, it may be premature to imagine MS releasing an HDMI compatible box without a way to add it retroactively. May not be possible but until we know more (maybe tonight!? :smile:) it's not a big issue IMO but I'm sure you're right in that some will be disappointed.

Now that we see the rumor of HDMI-equipped XBOX 360, will those 150,000 people feel screwed to have bought the add-on?

They can keep the drive and replace the console just as anyone else...

good point.

for those who are not aware, the HD DVD player connects to 360 via USB and the output is determined totally by the 360.

Anyone who bought the Player probably already had a 360 for gaming. Still if you have an 1080p tv, it would be nice to have the movie playback over HDMI although I can't imagine it looking one iota better than full 1080i over component. :D

Plus it does do 1080p for movies over VGA.

The drive isn't devalued whatsoever by an HDMI equipped 360. Actually, if they get a new 360, they have the ability to get high definition audio over HDMI which isn't possible by any means today.

Tap In said:
wouldn't doubt though that of those who purchased an HD DVD player (this early) many may also have adopted a 1080p TV.
Why do you think it only matters on 1080p?
Of course. But the point is a stand-alone HD DVD player with HDMI is not very expensive.

I wonder, does anyone feel an HDMI equipped 360 with an external drive is a preferable solution to a single, built-in drive?

Some initial benefits:
1. Less wear and tear on the 'game drive' during movie watching.
2. User can still play games if 'movie drive' needs to be repaired.
3. User can move from movie disc to game disc without leaving the couch. :)

Negatives
1. Aesthetically 'worse'
2. Not as elegant (similar to above?)
3. high capacity discs not used for games

Thoughts?

Of course. But the point is a stand-alone HD DVD player with HDMI is not very expensive.

The cheapest one is $499 and has been since the formats launch. If the user wanted a stand alone player why wouldn't they have bought one to begin with?

Why do you think it only matters on 1080p?

because for movie playback the only thing missing from component output is 1080p. It is available (as noted) over VGA.

Otherwise HDMI is not a superior input AFAIC. I have HDMI and component on both my HDTV and my HD DVR and have done several comparisons with no discernible difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cheapest one is $499 and has been since the formats launch. If the user wanted a stand alone player why wouldn't they have bought one to begin with?
That older model is now $444 at Amazon and the newer one (HD-A2) is even cheaper, $409. The 360 add-on is $219 (but currently sold out at Amazon). For those who want to watch HD DVD but not really interested in games, 360 is not a cheaper solution.
because for movie playback the only thing missing from component output is 1080p. It is available (as noted) over VGA.

Otherwise HDMI is not a superior input AFAIC.
As expletive noted above, HDMI transmits HD audio too.

that's true.

but to me and MOST people that are still using and will continue to use Optical output for a few more years, not a big issue or difference for that matter. For those with 1080p tv's that (again) may be a more important feature.

also MS announced recently that they are releasing a software update to the HD playback (soon) that will simulate HD audio over optical.

That older model is now $444 at Amazon and the newer one (HD-A2) is even cheaper, $409. The 360 add-on is $219 (but currently sold out at Amazon). For those who want to watch HD DVD but not really interested in games, 360 is not a cheaper solution.

nor is PS3 if you just want high definition movie playback but are not married to the Blu Ray format. ;)

But the drive still is, provided that they have a PC. Clearly the 360 HD-DVD drive is not a perfect solution for everyone, but it is pretty damn good overall. And considering that there are now 10+ million xbox360's out there (ok, maybe less in the hands of consumers at this point), I'd say that addon has a pretty solid potential buyer platform.

I would rather this redesigned Xbox come out sooner. Screw it microsoft, dont wait for the die shrink!

What I really need is the redesigned Xbox black-colored .65 nm cool and quiet HDMI, core pack, to be $99 so I can buy it and hook it to my HDD.

And then, I'll need the 120 GB HDD too, microsoft has screwed me out of so much $..

Junk I have bought besides my core pac:

HDD-$100
Wireless controller-$50
VGA cable-$40
Mem card-$40
Remote-$30
$260
And I still have no mic (well, my old black Xbox 1 Live mic, but no white one or nifty wireless one) or HDDVD or wi-fi.. and I will almost certainly be needing/wanting to buy the bigger HDD when it arrives..

Not that you needed all that.

Neways, I got my premium for $200 so no complaints from me.

Exactly. The HD DVD drive is a way to add the ability to play back this format with the console you already own for less money than it would cost to buy a standalone. A future SKU with an HDMI port doesn't really affect this in any meaningful way, IMO.

It may hurt 360 sales, though, unless MS reveal that they have a way to add the ability to existing consoles.

Some number also purchased the add-on to use it with a PC. Obviously these people are completely unaffected.

You mean buy a second console just to get HDMI?

So that's what, $300 or $400 plus $200 plus another $400 or whatever the HDMI console is going to cost?

Oh and HDMI will become important to all HDTV owners if ICT or DOT is ever activated. That means 480p for component max.

You mean buy a second console just to get HDMI?

So that's what, $300 or $400 plus $200 plus another $400 or whatever the HDMI console is going to cost?

trade in or sell if it's THAT important to someone (what 5% of users?)

Oh and HDMI will become important to all HDTV owners if ICT or DOT is ever activated. That means 480p for component max.
not gonna happen in this console generation's (effective) lifetime

But it never was (as you also get a game machine thrown in). I dont see how this relates to your point about early adopters of the HD-DVD drive feeling cheated by the introduction of an HDMI 360.

trade in or sell if it's THAT important to someone (what 5% of users?)

not gonna happen in this console generation's (effective) lifetime

What happens to the trade-in or resale value when they introduce a quieter, more reliable box with HDMI, bigger HDD?

Sony defines its console generations as at least 10 years. Is MS going to cut off support for the X360 in 4 or 5 years as they did the Xbox?

Also, are people going to try to stop using the add-on drive after 4-5 years?

What happens to the trade-in or resale value when they introduce a quieter, more reliable box with HDMI, bigger HDD?

good question but we don't have any verified info on a new system let alone one that will not also allow a path for current owners. Again... maybe we'll find out this week at CES.

Is MS going to cut off support for the X360 in 4 or 5 years as they did the Xbox?

Also, are people going to try to stop using the add-on drive after 4-5 years?
I would imagine most of us will be ready to upgrade again 5 years from now yes (HiDef gaming started over a year ago for some of us)... nobody knows what the future holds technologically.

And sorry but for ME, I have to laugh at the 10 year idea... I, like many here, appreciate and like NEW technology and 10 years is a lifetime in that regard. ;)

The people buying X360 5 years from now as their first machine with HD gaming are probably not going to care much about these things.

Well most of us on forums like this one will buy a new console every 5 years or so.

But as we've seen from PS2 sales, there is a market for last gen.

Especially if $400 becomes the minimum benchmark price for consoles at launch in the future.

Back