Xbox 360 slim hardware thread

Interesting as always to see what the ended up doing. Sometimes they actually have good reasons.

Evidently Microsoft decided against putting a different NAND on the motherboard for the 4gb model. In fact they added a daughterboard instead...

Thanks, interesting.

Has it been revealded what type of flash they used? SLC, MLC or TLC?

I guess the daughter board means they don't have to try to balance two distinct SKUs. They just have the outside casing and the daughter-board as differentiators between the two. That should reduce the number of logistical headaches they get.

Guess I'll put this here since not worth it's own thread, new controller with new dpad shown by major nelson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpV-XQ6OUo

I'm usually not one to mindlessly MS bash like so many on the internet, but in this case that's pretty lame. Only sold with the play n' charge for 64.95? I already have that.

So basically so far it's just an attempt at grabbing $ from those who desire a better d-pad. Rather than "fixing" (not that I really have much issues with the d-pad currently" the problem.

Unless they're planning to eventually make this the default controller.

Pretty nifty design though.

The gray buttons seem confusing though, not as easy to discern by color in game pop ups since theyre different than all the current models, plus shades of gray will be harder to tell apart.

Guess I'll put this here since not worth it's own thread, new controller with new dpad shown by major nelson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpV-XQ6OUo

I'm usually not one to mindlessly MS bash like so many on the internet, but in this case that's pretty lame. Only sold with the play n' charge for 64.95? I already have that.

So basically so far it's just an attempt at grabbing $ from those who desire a better d-pad. Rather than "fixing" (not that I really have much issues with the d-pad currently" the problem.

Unless they're planning to eventually make this the default controller.

Pretty nifty design though.

The gray buttons seem confusing though, not as easy to discern by color in game pop ups since theyre different than all the current models, plus shades of gray will be harder to tell apart.

I'm going to add this as another in my personal list of WTF is going on at MSFT::EDD?

I wonder if the innovations actually improve the controller.

The 'rotate' mechanism is kind of neat, but I don't really see the need. It's not like the 360's current 'disc' D-pad is ever any good -- the problem with fighting games and D-pad reliant games isn't that people have to deal with a disc. The Saturn controller has a disc and it's one of the best D-pads ever. So either they actually fixed it, in which case the rotate thing seems unnecessary, or they didn't, in which case it'll be useless.

I agree -- ~$65 is waay too much.

I won't be getting one at that price. I have an arcade stick that I use for fighting games which is the only time I really use the D-Pad that requires precision.

I'm going to add this as another in my personal list of WTF is going on at MSFT::EDD?

What's up with the money grab lately.

I guess with the soon to be release of Capcom vs Marvel 3 and the new Mortal Kombat, does MS feel the need to change/charge for a new D-Pad.

OTOH, the D-Pad was the only weakness for a me on an other wise great controller.

I'll buy one when there is a stand alone version for a normal price which I'm hoping is the case by the time MvC2 comes out. Speaking of charging, where can I buy just the chargeable battery pack? I don't need the stupid cable just the battery packs.

Looks like there is some confusion over whether this is a special edition or replacement. Major Nelson first said on his video that it's replacing the existing controller that comes packaged with the Play & Charge Kit, but then he tweeted the following:

@MajorNelson said:
FYI the grey ABXY buttons are just for this one new controller. It's not the de facto standard from now on.

The silver color & gray butons tells me it's not a permanent thing and that they'll eventually kill it.

Tommy McClain

I wonder if the innovations actually improve the controller.

The 'rotate' mechanism is kind of neat, but I don't really see the need. It's not like the 360's current 'disc' D-pad is ever any good -- the problem with fighting games and D-pad reliant games isn't that people have to deal with a disc. The Saturn controller has a disc and it's one of the best D-pads ever. So either they actually fixed it, in which case the rotate thing seems unnecessary, or they didn't, in which case it'll be useless.

I think people say the plastic casing interferes with the current pad. That's why one of the DIY fixes is to shave the plastic around the d-pad with a knive. So the raising up may well fix it.

The current d-pads problems are way overrated though. I'm certain 99.9% of people have no idea it's supposedly broken. I probably still wouldn't if I didn't read message boards. Also it works fine for the typical use, as a weapon select cross.

Anyways I hope MS is planning on making this the default controller soon. I'm kind of skeptical though because of the different color scheme. I also remember a MS survey from a loooong time ago asking if people would pay for a premium controller with enhanced d-pad.

Looks like there is some confusion over whether this is a special edition or replacement. Major Nelson first said on his video that it's replacing the existing controller that comes packaged with the Play & Charge Kit, but then he tweeted the following:

The silver color & gray butons tells me it's not a permanent thing and that they'll eventually kill it.

Tommy McClain

That tweet doesn't speak to whether this controller is temporary, permanent, or eventual default at all. The color scheme doesn't really apply to that question.

I would hope that they at the least dont discontinue it, even if the pricing sucks those who want a good d-pad should have the option.

Though I remember neogaf picked up on some cheap (like $10 I think) rock band controller that had a good d-pad for 360...it was more like a classic snes controller though not a full controller.

That tweet doesn't speak to whether this controller is temporary, permanent, or eventual default at all. The color scheme doesn't really apply to that question.

I would hope that they at the least dont discontinue it, even if the pricing sucks those who want a good d-pad should have the option.

Though I remember neogaf picked up on some cheap (like $10 I think) rock band controller that had a good d-pad for 360...it was more like a classic snes controller though not a full controller.

The tweet message itself doesn't tell that to me it's temporary, just a nagging feeling from all the stuff combined. Yes, it's a pure guess. But I feel that if it were meant to be permanent they would have made it black instead of silver colored, they would have made the face buttons the regular colors & they wouldn't make you buy it with a Play & Charge kit. I guess we'll find out before too long.

As for the rock band controller, you're talking the official portable Rock Band Drum Kit made by Mad Catz...

xbox-360-mods-dpad.jpg

Buy the whole kit on eBay brand new for about $12...

http://item.ebay.com/200514559399

Tommy McClain

I don't know -- why go through a redesign for a temporary release. Also, from the Major Nelson vid, it appears that MS has patented it as well.

It smells to me like an initial exclusive with the play and charge kit to grab as much money as possible before the inevitable "people like it so much that it is now our de facto controller".

I'd be willing to bet the enhanced controller will be available as a standalone, they are just cashing in on the silly season.

The current d-pads problems are way overrated though. I'm certain 99.9% of people have no idea it's supposedly broken. I probably still wouldn't if I didn't read message boards. Also it works fine for the typical use, as a weapon select cross.

I've had two controllers, both had D-pads that would hit the wrong input on diagonals and would sometimes not detect the press at all on regular cross inputs. They're garbage, I don't think the problem is overstated at all. I'd dispute that people don't notice, though (especially the made up 99.9% figure). There's no way you wouldn't notice if you play a game that depends on a D-pad (you might blame it on the game's poor controls, I know I did when I first got my 360 and tried playing SotN on it); it's much more likely that not that many people care.

Edit: and for what it's worth, if this does fix the problem, I'll probably buy it. Even at the stupid price. Wish the buttons weren't gray.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy on another message board, and he plays a lot of game room almost exclusively, says the dpads on recent 360 controllers are fine anyway. He claims only the old ones were bad.

But it's still overrated. I play a good amount of SF2 on 360 controller and it's fine. In fact, I purchased one of those mad catz SF pads, and basically found myself ending up liking the stock 360 controller better.

I think it's not great but not unusable.

Yah, I'm with you. Considering that "Push X! Which one is X? The blue one!" is an extremely common conversation at my house.

Yours too, huh? Exclamations are even in the same place. Do you also get the, "Now what do I do?, [me: deadpan]it tells you right there on the screen, oh, [me: (in my head) don't sigh, don't sigh, don't sigh]....audible sigh, glare...silence"

What I truly don't understand is how in the world you do not put these in the Reach console bundle. Yes the play and charge has always been this price and has had the "limited item" controllers before but still. I still can't believe the Halo 3 Legendary Edition didn't have an HD DVD combo disc in it! Halo can move hardware it doesn't have to always be about moving consoles especially when the peripherals have much better margin! You get the new controller in the hands of the fans that are willing to buy a Halo bundle and guarantee word-of-mouth spreads (assuming the company believes in the product [the product being the controller]).

Yours too, huh? Exclamations are even in the same place. Do you also get the, "Now what do I do?, [me: deadpan]it tells you right there on the screen, oh, [me: (in my head) don't sigh, don't sigh, don't sigh]....audible sigh, glare...silence"
That's a major cross-platform hurdle. On the few occassions we tried XB/360 gaming, we couldn't get used to the buttons and lamented the change from DS2's layout.

You get the new controller in the hands of the fans that are willing to buy a Halo bundle and guarantee word-of-mouth spreads (assuming the company believes in the product [the product being the controller]).
Do MS believe in this controller? The only thing it changes is the DPad, which isn't required for Reach, so why would anyone want yet-another-controller? Plus by accounts the existing DPad is okay anyhow. If it were to be bundled, it should be bundled with a fighter like SF vs Tekken.

Back