Next X360 HDD to be >60GB?

After fragmenting their install base withe the Core they would be absolute idiots to ditch the Core -- especially when its value, low price point, is right around the corner. It could happen, but it would be a sign of utter incompetence and multi-personality disorder and lack of follow through on their vision/business plan. I completely understand MS's moves in regards to creating the Core, even though I thought a HDD should have been standard for online in the least (as I think with DLC it can repay for itself easily), but for them to dump it now would solidify the negatives of no HDD standard and allow them to reap none of the rewards of a cheaper console down the road.

Just the kind of move we expect from the big wigs these days!

Nah, Bill Gates was praising/defending the Core very recently, and he is the head honcho. Methinks it's not going anywhere.

Read again, the source is not from Gizmodo. Plus, "proven fake"? That's a pretty bold claim. Yes, it's a RUMOR, but from a source that has yet to be discounted. If you don't like Gizmodo, here's a few other sites that picked up the same rumor...

http://www.xboxic.com/news/2565
http://www.gadgetell.com/2007/03/xbox-360-upgrades/

Tommy McClain

The elctronics store chain Saturn's stores websites list the X360 Premium as 399 EUR in some places and as 299 EUR in other places. Seems like some regional deal going on :oops:

EDIT: Corrected my info

Remember MS has declared IPTV and HD Movie business service,and the 20GB or 60GB HDD will have NO effect on recently 2.5 model(Because such an one disk could provide 60GB even more capcity). The 20GB HDD in current SKU is the true pity for MS if they want put such online transaction more broadly.

I think Microsoft Xbox360 second edition is inevitable,because they took the head to jump in the next-gen wars,some technology/cost hinder could be removed now. If MS put a $399 SKU with HDMI and 120GB HDD as serveral media told in this first half year,it woulds rocks.

I won't be suprised if Microsoft goes beyond just mearly increasing hard drive capacity.

Hard disks are shipping with flash memory to give various benefits. Samsung and Seagate are shipping these in the 2.5 inch form factor either 128 or 256 megabytes of flash.

This would be something really slick to include in the premium imho.

Umm, they already have network storage. It's called, you can re-download your purchases or videos whenever you want.

Seriously, that's essentially network storage. And it sucks.

Sorry, let me expand/rephrase: if MS let you have LOCAL bi-directional streaming/storage from the 360 i.e. move data downloaded from LIVE onto a local-net filestore (where a WHS server would be ideal for high-value stuff with its redundant data storage) for streaming playback or 'copy back' onto the 360 if required - that would rock (but a standard Windoze PC would suffice to stop people getting pee'd off that they need a WHS server).

In this instance the local HD is just a 'cache', of you day-to-day data, game saves etc - therefore it doesn't need to be that big. I still reckon this is the way MS are thinking

Options like use you PC over your home network as a remote storage location.

yes please :D

just as I now stream my movies and music and photos from my PC.

because the system is responsible for all the hard load/save stuff, and the browsing of saved content, not the application

yep, I love this flexibility.... now put it to use MS. :D

How about a one time use disk formating tool, plug in any compatible drive and format it for the 360, then swap out the old one. Sell it for $40.

Sorry, let me expand/rephrase: if MS let you have LOCAL bi-directional streaming/storage from the 360 i.e. move data downloaded from LIVE onto a local-net filestore (where a WHS server would be ideal for high-value stuff with its redundant data storage) for streaming playback or 'copy back' onto the 360 if required - that would rock (but a standard Windoze PC would suffice to stop people getting pee'd off that they need a WHS server).

This has always been my hope from Day 1, but I have seen nothing to indicate that MS will be so kind as to provide this type of functionality, even though its the obvious evolution of the 360/Windows relationship.

Why would they when they can fleece us for $100 20gb HDD's instead? :rolleyes:

God knows what ridiculous price they'll come up with for this 120gb drive.

Why would they when they can fleece us for $100 20gb HDD's instead? :rolleyes:

God knows what ridiculous price they'll come up with for this 120gb drive.

Very true, but to me, the fact that they haven't been offering incremental upgrades - 40Gb, 60Gb, or 80Gb models over the past ~18 months is an indication that they have something else planned.

If it's their business model to fleece us on HD's (did I just say 'if'?!) why haven't they offered larger drives before, especially seeing as they have received such a mauling on a comparison to the 60Gb PS3?

Something just doesn't sit right and, maybe I'm counting 2 and 2 and getting 5, it seems that the WHS is coming at just the right time...

Back