E3 Sony Conference Thread

Why would they?

They said right at the start that almost everything they were showing would be playable in their arcade after the conference had ended.

You don't need Dylan Jobe up there doing his Sixaxis dance, when half an hour later you can play it yourself :LOL:

Same thing I said about MS. You have the gaming world's undivided attention for the length of the event. You should take advantage of it. And live demo > trailer. The Assassin's Creed, COD4 and GeOW PC demos at the MS press conference were awesome.

Yeah, COD4 was playable at the Sony event as well... Lots of Ratchet & Clank, RE5 was there, Drake, Lair, Heavenly Sword, UT3, Dirt, Sega Rally, Time Crisis 4 (with cute sensors for LCD TVs), Warhawk, SingStar, Eye of Judgement, Burnout were all playable... There were a few more, but I couldn't remember what else. Oh, God of War on the PSP and SOCOM on the PSP were also playable...

I liked this conference. Lots to see, and a lot of reassurance. I would guess that is what their presentation was designed to do. Reassure the gamers that games are comming while at the same time making sure the Devs understood that there was a future in the console. The hype they can generate from this is a good thing in my opinion.

I also love the fact that they brought things to the PS store for people to look at and play with. Great move in my opinion. There were a few things I think they could have done better, but overall I liked their show.

I had the same, on GameSpot's feed. Audio sounded like a continuous part of the game (which would sound incredible in a surround system) whereas the footage was a montage of different bits.

According to the GS editors, that's exactly what it was. :smile:

Apparently two of the 4 screens were showing the game actually being played by the developer, while the other 2 were showing other random snippets. I suppose the feed we got was a mix.

I think it's a interesting look at B3D to look at the views each conference thread got.

Sony ~9k MS~4k Ninty~1k

I'd say that's about right to the level of interest each generates at B3D. PS3 definitly seems top dog for B3D interest, about 2-1 over 360. While Ninty is least popular by far due to the low level of tech involved in the Wii.

I guess I was one of those who expected a new trailer from FFXIII/vs XIII? :cry:

They'll probably show something on TGS...

I was thinking they'd show something about a new PS3 controller w/ FF, I guess not :LOL:

It was a great show, though even after killzone and the other goodies, I cant help but feel empty inside :oops:

While Ninty is least popular by far due to the low level of tech involved in the Wii.
Not only that but the stuff Ninty showed doesn't exactly tickle the fancy of most "serious" gamers.. Actually now that I think of it I think that is the biggest problem really.

Weight watchers goes Wii.. I mean..c'mon Nintendo.

I'm sure you'll sell a bunch of those to some housewives or something but this is E3 for crying out. Or what's left of it anyway. You CAN do better than this!

If Nintendo had pushed more GAMES rather than so much casual nonsense (be it profitable as hell or not I don't care) I think the thread would have seen more action. As it stands now there just isn't much to discuss.

I would have loved to see for example an extra storage for Wiiware. If Neo-Geo indeed IS coming to the virtual console channel then they'll need SOMETHING eventually. Many of the N-G games were tens of megabytes in size.

Speaking of N-G how about firmer information of when these games will start appearing. But no. Instead we got weight watchers!

Peace.

I think it's a interesting look at B3D to look at the views each conference thread got.

Sony ~9k MS~4k Ninty~1k

I'd say that's about right to the level of interest each generates at B3D. PS3 definitly seems top dog for B3D interest, about 2-1 over 360. While Ninty is least popular by far due to the low level of tech involved in the Wii.

The fact that Europe was sleeping when the MS conference started might have something to do with it too...

I guess I was one of those who expected a new trailer from FFXIII/vs XIII? :cry:
FF13 is a FY08 game and it will take more time to bring it to the NA market too. As Tretton said in the conference they showed their effort to expand the install base so the portfolio was about FPS and other games rapidly consumed in the NA market. They showed the obligatory "vision" part by visiting Home, but it's a pity they couldn't show some more bleeding edge things such as some PS Eye demo. Probably they thought it's best to focus on Home in the conference. The pillars shown were the solid game portforlio, stronger support for current platforms including PSP, and future expansion such as Home. Some might not like the absence of shocking factors but E3 became more business oriented this year anyway, it was a fairly balanced event with quality games IMO.

Ok... after the initial game overload and some more time to check things out, LBP remains the top show for me. The entire package is just so creative and strangely attractive. I think my family will get sucked into this not only for gaming.

The other trailers/walkthroughs are all very good but I can't rank them properly because they are all so unique in their own ways.

KillZone 2 is intriguing to me not because the developers could close in on the render target. I like the convincing "war theater" mood, and love the weather idea (I criticized Resistance for not capitalizing on weather as gameplay elements a few months ago). I also like how the NPC characters seem to draw and immerse me in the story/battle. But it's too early to see its full potential at this point.

Drake's Fortune is another great one. In my mind, I rate this on par with KZ because the character expression and movement exudes promises/potentials in a more organic and engaging experience. The graphics looks nice too (but I'm less anal in this area than many here :) ).

Heavenly Sword continues to amaze me with its fluidal combo/animation and *explosive emotions*. I absolutely love the last trailer link I posted in the HS thread.

The other great trailers (e.g., MGS4, CoD4) and game concepts (e.g., Echochrome) are all extremely high quality work. I will have to find time to revisit them when more info is available. I really like how nextgen is shaping up -- aside from the price point.

I think if I'm not fooling around in LBP, I will linger in Heavenly Sword, Lair and Drake's Fortune levels a lot. They are very pretty. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the developers for putting their hearts and souls into these games. I look forward to the purchases (and I'm sure you too ;-) ).

I didn't 'get' Echochrome. It looked like you just turnt eh camera until the holes are occluded, where you can walk behind them. I couldn't see where the puzzle aspect was. And where I love minimalist graphics styles on the whole, I think Echochrome was too minimalist. I appreciate the line art style is necessary to keep the illusion, but the whole experience to me just seemed amazingly bland.

Not much surprised me from E3, but more info and video excited me for the games I'm already getting.

Lair looks better than ever. Ratchet, Drake's and HS look great. LBP tool demo was cool, I hope they pull it off. I'm still unsure about UT3, I hope it has a good campaign with online co-op otherwise I will sill stick to Warhawk for MP. I'm interesting in inFamous, the trailer looked cool.

Halo 3 did not impress me, but I'm sure it will be fun assuming they have online co-op. CoD4 looked like BF2 mixed with GRAW, might be fun. I didn't see the Mass Effect or Fable 2 videos, but I'm sure both will be great (I loved Fable and KOTOR).

I don't care about singing, dancing, etc. games so Singstar, Rockband and GH3 are very very low interest games to me.

It's going to be an expensive fall/winter - maybe I will have to move some games to tier 2, save until I finish tier 1.

On the hardware front I expect MS to make HDMI standard in all new models and kill either the core or Elite along with a price drop in Sept.

I'm still hoping Sony releases a new low end SKU around the same time for $399 to match up with the 80GB that will replace the 60GB.

I didn't 'get' Echochrome. It looked like you just turnt eh camera until the holes are occluded, where you can walk behind them. I couldn't see where the puzzle aspect was. And where I love minimalist graphics styles on the whole, I think Echochrome was too minimalist. I appreciate the line art style is necessary to keep the illusion, but the whole experience to me just seemed amazingly bland.

I find Echochrome very impressive.
I'd say, the idea to solve 3d puzzles by using its 2d representation is very creative, unconventional approach.

As the name suggests, clearly inspired by Escher's "impossible constructions", optical illusions in general.

Best surprise of the show for me, I hope they can nail the gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you twist the 3D maze until the target hole is covered, or to provide a safe landing point for the jump pad, or for the joints to weld together (Escher style). It's quite subtle. Phil claimed that what we saw were simple examples.

I see this as an evolution of traditional 2D mazes. I'd hate to see the entire screen filled with the puzzle (I don't think I can make it out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Echochrome was once a freeware game picked up by SCEJ like Fl0w, you can download and play the original version from the author's web site

http://tserve01.aid.design.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~fujiki/ole_coordinate_system/index.html

I think it looks great, but they could really make it look more appealing by making the main character something colorful/sparkling. Take a page out of Fl0w's book. I understand that a certain aesthetic is necessary for the game design to work, but if I see it correctly, the main character shouldn't require it.

Back