E3 Sony Conference Thread

Overall I'm even more excited today to be a PS3 owner.Most of the info was at least god,but I would have liked to have heard more about their future media download plans. :?:

Nice. User creatable levels for echochrome confirmed, and apparently this humble little beginning may even lead to a BluRay release.
:oops: Level data must by tiny. Graphics assets are non-existent. You could fit the game on a floppy disc, and they want to release it on a 25GB storage medium?!!

:oops: Level data must by tiny. Graphics assets are non-existent. You could fit the game on a floppy disc, and they want to release it on a 25GB storage medium?!!

My guess is that it would be released as some kind of collection of sorts. For all those people who don't have PSN access for whatever reason. They could get Echochrome, Super Stardust, Blastfactor, FlOw, Lemmings, Gripshift, etc all on one disc.

Well, I think it's not that hard to imagine a graphically souped up version of this principle either.

Actually I think that is hard! You can't use lighting and shadows because that identifies boundaries and volume. This thing only works with the ambiguity of the representation, where the same line can represent different spaces. You could probably add a three-intensity isometric lighting - light on top, medium on one side, dark on the other, fixed illumination direction. That's not going to be demanding. Texturing the blocks will be as hard as complex lighting, because again that destroys the ambiguity of the representation. And there's only so many block textures you can have!

Yes... my thoughts exactly. I hope they don't fudge with the clean lines because they are meant to be part of the gameplay. Imagine a complex Echochrome puzzle that fills the entire screen. Perhaps they will add a "help" mode to assist the user by coloring/highlighting beams.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some more details on the PSP's redesign here (at least, I didn't know all of them):

http://www.gamespot.com/features/61...clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;4

So apparently one of the things they did I didn't realise was to increase the RAM to 64MB (from 32), which among others can be used for caching UMD data to increase load-times. Also it apparently uses about half the power of the old model, and you can apparently use an old PSP battery to double your playtime, although it will stick out. There will apparently even be an official 'old style' battery with an additional bit of cover added over the sticking out bit. This should give you 10 hours of playtime versus the normal 5.

There is also a screenshot of the PSP hooked up to a TV showing some of the settings. Doesn't look like an essential purchase for me right now, unless the old PSP cannot and the new PSP can play back mp4s at 640x480, as that would be nice to have. But unless they are really limited by memory here, I expect a firmware update should do the trick for the old model.

It's interesting because with the UMD videos always having been encoded at 480p in the first place, it seems this is something they took into account as a possibility already a long time ago.

There is also a screenshot of the PSP hooked up to a TV showing some of the settings.

They seem to be showing a component video cable as the connection of choice for tv hookup there. Anyone know if hdmi out is available on the new psp? I'll probably sell my current PSP and get the new one anyways, but hdmi out would be the icing on the cake.

So apparently one of the things they did I didn't realise was to increase the RAM to 64MB (from 32), which among others can be used for caching UMD data to increase load-times.
I hope you're wrong! :LOL:

They seem to be showing a component video cable as the connection of choice for tv hookup there. Anyone know if hdmi out is available on the new psp? I'll probably sell my current PSP and get the new one anyways, but hdmi out would be the icing on the cake.

Nope, no HDMI acoording to GameWatch. Only:

AV cable、S VIDEO cable、D Terminal AV cable、Component AV cable

I'm glad my TV supports D Terminal. Because a component cable for the PSP is probably going to weigh more than the new PSP itself!

Interesting Phil Harrison interview: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200707/N07.0719.1908.25222.htm?Page=1

GI: ... The Home integration stuff that you showed with the mobile phone, is that something that’s going to be limited to only Sony Ericsson phones or is this something you’re planning on rolling out – I mean, will I be able to use an iPhone to shoot pictures?

Harrison: It’s a Java application, so I don’t know if iPhone allows Java applications to be run or not. Any Java-enabled phone will be able to run the client.

GI: At GDC, you introduced the Home setup with your Hall of Fame and trophies, yet most of the developers I’ve spoken with don’t know anything about it and haven’t gotten the software, or don’t have the know how to implement them into their games. It seemed to escape everything at this press conference, and even the first-party developers that I’ve spoken with say, most likely they aren’t going to be able to get them into their games this year. What’s going on with that?

Harrison: We’ve built Home on top of the core libraries of the PlayStation Network platform. The trophy functionality is going into PlayStation Network libraries in the next revision, which will be in August.

GI: Are we going to see Echochrome this year?

Harrison: Yes. We weren’t able to talk about all the cool stuff we’re doing with Echo Chrome, but we’ll come back at the Tokyo Game Show with a deeper dive on that. But I’ll give you a little snippet – there’s a user-created component for that, as well.

... and more :cool:

Great interview indeed. I like Phil (most of the time anyway ;) ).

Back