E3 in a nutshell (Give your thoughts!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo has to stay around becuase they always do someting new even if it's something small like adding an anolog stick or a shoulder button just look were that led to and connectivity with portables sony and microsoft(even though they don't have one) is going to do that. They had a nice looking system and I think the controller will be something revolutionary I don't look at Nintendo as my main source of gaming anymore but they do have series that I like to play

Microsoft has the advantage when it comes to gui's and online functionablity, I like the live features but they charge for internet play which I don't like, even if it is a once a year fee. there console looks good, I would have liked it better if if didn't have the concave shape, I liked the s controller so the new one is fine. As far as specs go I think the they came up with a good system that is going to be comparible to sony and may bring them a profit, considering some of the expectaions of the ps3

Sony has a great system I wanted a 4.6Ghz cell but I'm sure the one they use will be just as good, they have a lot of input functions even though I probally won't use them they are nice, the option to connect 2 tv's to the system is nice I hope developers take advantage of this for multiplayer, if it can be used that way. The design of the ps3 reminds me of the ps2 which isn't bad I just wanted someting different, I don't know why they changed the controller that much, I would rather have a dualshock with the analog stick and the d-pad switched and some analog triggers.

SOny

Very Slow Conference.
The Duck tech demo was the cool. :)
Too many Pre.Rendered work, but i guess Sony didnt have anything else to show.
That Insomniac game looked awesome, wich is great because it was actually running in realtime, in gameplay, unlike that Killzone 2 joke.
The Cell seems powerfull.
A bit underwhelmed by the specs, i tought we would have a Dreamcast to Xbox diference between the Ps3 and Xbox360.......the way i see it, its less than Ps2 to Xbox, closer to Gamecube to Xbox.
The console is ugly, and the controller is very ugly too, and the 1080p *standard* doesnt make sense.
Hdmi output and Blu Ray are very cool.
I was kinda underwhelmed with the Conference, it was *Cold*

MicroSoft

I need games, lots of games.
Thats what happened, this conference was all about games right now in production, why show tech demos? Just show me the goods! Ms delivered.
Xbox Live sounds hawter than Ever.
No time wasted in Specs, MS knows the press and we Hardcore already know it.
Some stellar titles like Gears Of War, Oblivion, COD2, Kameo, Pgr3, DOa4.
Square Enix was surprising.
Seems to me that developers arent making an effort to take advantage of the hardware, since its so easy to do it, they are just porting their old Engines and adding some Bling Bling.
Madden at launch? Are you kidding me? This will sell like hot cakes in the US.
PDZ a no show? What the Hell MS? Who's carrying the burden of *Launch System seller?*, madden will only make for it in the US!
A Warm feeling show, never felt bored.

Nintendo

Too much focus on the DS, they almost forgot Gamecube.
Gamecube was almost a no show, is this how Nintendo wants to fix things?
The Wi Fi thing sounds awesome, if, a bit unpratical.
Game Boy Micro? I mean its cool but.....its like the 3rd version of the GBA, talk about milking the cow.
The Revolution has the mos un.imaginative and uninspired design of next gen systems, a Console that looks like a Dvd Drive isnt cool.
Why was the Revolution shown? We didnt see Specs, games, tech demos, controllers, we didnt got to see crap.
512 mb of Flash memory? Cool.
Zelda looked nice, but nothing out of this World, and the whole *Matrix* thing was a bit awkward.......the portal seemed like a cybernetic portal.....i still expect grandiose things from this one.
Overall, the weakest Conference of the 3, by a fair margine, wich says alot because i was actually looking forward to it, and i believed that Nintendo would have the best Conference. I was wrong, it was weak.

Liked the Ps3 conference, loved the MS conference, and got dissapointed by the Ninty conference.

pegisys said:
Nintendo has to stay around becuase they always do someting new.

And as usual when someone comes up with that comment, i must ask, when was the last time Nintendo did something radically new that changed the way we play games?
Like Eyetoy.

People are still stuck on the idea that Nintendo equals originality, when they've proved time and time again over the last few years that they're stuck, not being able to produce much that can be called "new" or "original". While everyone else is making a serious effort to change the videogame market. And Revolution is just the cherry on the cake, confirming that insead of going forward, they rather charge us (again) for their old 20 year old games.
Revoluton sounds to me like those cheap gaming systems with 100 NES games included all for 20 quid.

Who wants to play old games? We have backward compatibility for that. The novelty of playing NES/SNES/N64 games again will wear off very very soon, like the novelty of playing PS1 games on PS2 wore off as soon as proper new games came out for the system.

They are not innovators, not anymore. The whole gaming market has been stale for quite a while, all because everyone keeps reashing the old stuff, with better graphics. And now Nintendo aren't even doing that anymore! They rather just directly make us play the old games! Meh...

And as usual when someone comes up with that comment, i must ask, when was the last time Nintendo did something radically new that changed the way we play games?
Like Eyetoy.

Umm...Nintendo DS.

Do not try to flake Nintendo on originality. They always focus on gaming and bringing something new and unique to the table.

Mario Party, Paper Mario, Donky Kong Jungle Beat etc.

Speng.

Sony:
Professional showing; classy
Huge impact
PS3 design takes MS's "HD" era to a new level
Sexy console look
Big developer support
The Phil Harrison and Epic demos impressed
But after getting our hopes up, Killzone BETTER look like that in realtime
Mission accomplished

Microsoft:
Nice machine, Live is fleshed out
Lose the fake attitude, dorks - they're trying too hard to be cool
Better not turn Live into a shopping mall (or microtransaction me to death)
Backward compatibility for SOME titles?
The big Square/Enix game is an old PS2 game?

Nintendo:
Milking GB some more, I see
Feel like they were unprepared - or changed plans suddenly
Rev ability to play old games might be fun... for a while. See: Milking the Past
Um, GC is dying, and nothing to show on new system? Hello?

All in all, most exciting E3 in a while.

***edited to include thoughts I didn't have time for before***

Geeforcer said:
I have trouble seeing 13-16 olds getting excited about Donkey Kong Country or Mario 64 in the middle of 2006.

I dunno, I was 19 when when Mario 64 came out and it was HOT. When Mario 64 came out everyone was excited about it. I had a Japanese N64 import and when my friends got their PS I invited them over WITHOUT TELLING them I had gotten a N64 (they had no clue what it was). They had the fighting game (forgot the name) that was so-so but very popular for the PS launch. When they saw Mario they wet their pants and could not believe the difference in quality.

The key was Mario was revolutionary so to speak... it was such a huge jump people did not care if it was a fat plumber.

As many doubts as I have about Nintendo, I never doubt Myamotos ability to surprise. He has been doing it too long at such a high level for me to doubt.

Acert93 said:
Geeforcer said:
I have trouble seeing 13-16 olds getting excited about Donkey Kong Country or Mario 64 in the middle of 2006.

I dunno, I was 19 when when Mario 64 came out and it was HOT. When Mario 64 came out everyone was excited about it. I had a Japanese N64 import and when my friends got their PS I invited them over WITHOUT TELLING them I had gotten a N64 (they had no clue what it was). They had the fighting game (forgot the name) that was so-so but very popular for the PS launch. When they saw Mario they wet their pants and could not believe the difference in quality.

The key was Mario was revolutionary so to speak... it was such a huge jump people did not care if it was a fat plumber.

As many doubts as I have about Nintendo, I never doubt Myamotos ability to surprise. He has been doing it too long at such a high level for me to doubt.

LOL Acert, my point is that what was exciting to you and I 7 years ago is not going to be exciting to teenagers Q3 2006. Given the choice of playing next generation games like Gears Of War and the like, how many of them will be interested in SNES and N64 Mario games, without all the sentimental baggage that most of older generation gamers carry?

Geeforcer said:
LOL Acert, my point is that what was exciting to you and I 7 years ago is not going to be exciting to teenagers Q3 2006. Given the choice of playing next generation games like Gears Of War and the like, how many of them will be interested in SNES and N64 Mario games, without all the sentimental baggage that most of older generation gamers carry?

:cry:

You are probably right. I would LIKE to think that a revolutionary game like Mario 64 would appeal to all gamers and nongamers--young or old. But it would take something just as revolutionary. I guess Mario 64 was the first good 3D world + it was like being in a cartoon. In that regards it did not matter if it was Mario or anything else.

But back then Nintendo was more than happy to fight the tech war. And cute wont do it for all gamers--so I see your point. Unless Nin does something really revolutionary (vr?) most teens will be more than happy with the violence/sex of games like GTA.

Unless they do a mature Link that has some revolutionary aspects...

Acert93 said:
Geeforcer said:

:cry:

You are probably right. I would LIKE to think that a revolutionary game like Mario 64 would appeal to all gamers and nongamers--young or old. But it would take something just as revolutionary. I guess Mario 64 was the first good 3D world + it was like being in a cartoon. In that regards it did not matter if it was Mario or anything else.

But back then Nintendo was more than happy to fight the tech war. And cute wont do it for all gamers--so I see your point. Unless Nin does something really revolutionary (vr?) most teens will be more than happy with the violence/sex of games like GTA.

Unless they do a mature Link that has some revolutionary aspects...

I don't think it is as much about sex and violence as it is about technological obsolescence and lack of familiarity. The world has moved on; the ones who since were born will scoff at remnants of the ancient era now long gone. The most reaction of people here celebrating the legacy library announcement went along the lines "Great, I finally get the chance to play those old SNES games I missed". I don't think anyone born in 1990s could care less for SNES classics. In fact can't imagine these kids choosing to play Super Mario X over modern games, such as Nintendo's own Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and the like. That's why I think this feature was primary targeted at 20+ year old Nintendo fans will dusty cartages in the closet, rather then people new to gaming in general and Nintendo in particular.

Hmmm... Sony got me, I just can't resist anymore.

Lot's of very impressive demos even outside the prerendered ones like Fight Night, FF7 demo, Deanoc:s game and many others, their press show was much better than the competition entertaining and lot's of stuff. Unreal footage was also really impressive considering the time they put that together, Sony knows how to throw a show, and after watching all the Press shows and high res movies Sony clearly owned MS, whose show was really boring and full of unimpressive footage, some Live features were cool though, but not nearly enough to turn the tide.

I got tired of Allard babling about One billion market and marketplace stuff. I was really left with the impression that PS3 is truly a beast and quite easy to program, whereas MS gave me picture that they are rushing in even though they are not ready, desperately trying to be too cool for school. I'm going to buy X360 hovever only because it's coming first and my hdtv is screaming for action...

Revolution was basically no show, so not much to comment on. Micro Gameboy was cute and cool, but handhelds are not my thing, I wanted to hear more about Revolution so I was disapointed a bit, Still I liked their show better than the MS one.

Now I don't want to sound ignorant, but I think that there is no stopping Sony from dominating Next-Gen also.

I haven't gotten to see the Nintendo one yet. Don't even know if I will since I'm not a fan of their consoles and the fact that they didn't show much of the Revolution doesn't make me want to watch it either.

The MS conference was boring and the same kind of yapping about the HD-era being such a gigantic leap and lots of Xbox live hyping, which I frankly don't care so much about. Most of the games didn't impress me much either except for GoW. Granted Ghost Recon 3 and PGR3 look good but not astounding. And no cool tech demos either.

Sony's PC was definitely the best one. The Eyetoy demo was just so cool, as were most of the games shown, pre-rendered or not.

Honestly, and I don't think many will agree, it looks to me like we'll be pleading with MS and Sony to join for the PS4. I think they're going to be so evenly matched, long-term, that there will be little point in having both platforms sequeled. When all the dust dies down, X360 games shape and an run on final hardware, PS3 games come out of the clouds and onto final hardware, devs go multiplatform, blah, blah, blah, Sony and MS will be struggling to differenctiate themselves.

Actually, that might trigger a third party game buying spree. :?

The Rev, on the other hand, needs a DS turnaround or "Nintendo" will soon be a synonym for "bargain basement" and no company will put effort into making new games for it. I think N can pull it off, but I rather wonder why they put themselves in the place where they have to.

Kolgar said:
PS3 design takes MS's "HD" era to a new level
That also happens to be one of the most ruthless strategic move I never expected to witness. MS's entire PR campaign for X360 rests on the 'HD' motto, and is literally the verbal mascot.

Then the closest rival trumpets 1080p.

I think that very, very soon - if not immediately - MS will need to drop that marketing slogon. The entire PR pillar, crippled by the competitor with a single announcement.

On hindsight, MS should have been less showy with their PR prior to the big announcements.

well from reading around at anands it says up to 1080p . Not all games will be required to run this . The x360 can also run 1080p

what i found amusing was that MS still continues to learn from their past E3 experiences.

What worked very well in the past years were "lets show games, payable games", with the killer E32001 halo beach level demo and E32004 halo2 demo. all ingame, all playable.

but what went wrong this year is that games like PDZ were simply not ready enough to be shown in their playable forms. in one hand you had the usual Sony mouth watering CGI roll and in another some laughable crappy PDZ footage.

...Which leads me to believe that is was quickly pulled from the MS conference after seeing what sonyt had to offer.

twisted you do know the show hasn't started yet , i believe wensday the 18th is the start of the show .

So e3 is far from over. We don't know what ms will have playable . Perhaps everything they showed will be playable . Which will win over alot of people

jvd said:
twisted you do know the show hasn't started yet , i believe wensday the 18th is the start of the show .

So e3 is far from over. We don't know what ms will have playable . Perhaps everything they showed will be playable . Which will win over alot of people

true.

(patiently waits for a Splinter Cell 4 announcement...) :p

What surprised me most about the launches was the how capable the cell looks. The techdemos looked good(The water in the cup was very cool) and the fact that they got the UT2007 demo up and running so fast and looking so stunning was beyond my expectations.

The cell seems to have a bright future. I hope new multimedia pc's with 4 cells or even more will be available shortly after PS3 launch. BTW, I wonder what OS will be used for a desktop computer based on cell? And if this turns out to be very sucsessful what are the consequences for Windows OS?

Both companies seems to target a much larger audience than they have before and therefore most buyers will probably never have owned a console before. MS have a clear advantage because of the early launch and therefore they will already have a big network already at the PS3 launch(The same advantage PS2 had last round). The price of the console seems to tip is MS favour too. PS3 seems much more capable and more interesting(at least for me) but I still think MS will come out as the winner because of the massive XBOX live network(which looked great by the way) and it will look more attractive for the average buyer.

Nintendo seems to have resigned completely. I hardly think basing their sucsess on old games will turn out very well. The new console will probably not be competing in the same class as the PS3 and X360 anyway. Why they even bothered to show the console without having any useful information is beyond me.

tt22 said:
Why they even bothered to show the console without having any useful information is beyond me.
They had to ... Some informations had already leaked.

My comments about the PR :
Sony was very efficient and #1 to me, Microsoft was close behind.
The problem is i have more and more difficulties seeing the differences between the two of them (i think we can thank Microsoft for that).

The way they see entertainment is more and more close, and things they do (marketing, games, etc.), and the fact the "steal" each others ideas (more FPS on PS3, camera on Xbox360, and so on) definitly make me think i will purchase only one of these systems ... The software provided on these machines will be really close in quality (with tiny differences maybe in genres like RPG or FPS).

If i was to chose now, i would say it will be PS3, but probably one or two years after launch.

About Nintendo : i am more and more thinking they have something special in their hat about revolution, but awaiting the good moment to show it up. Maybe i am wrong, but i think games like RE5 for example won't simply be playable "as if" on rev, and that's why it's going on PS3.

Look what they've done on DS : at first looking at the specs (comparing it to PSP), lots of people said "WTF !!???", "they buried themselves", etc. But look : Nintendodogs. When i first heard of this game, i thought it was one these purely japanese must have (a bit stupid ala tomagutchi), but after looking the demo at their PR, it transforms itself for me as a must have for my son and me. If you add to it MK:DD online, pokemon and Zelda, i ask you : what do you want more ?

These aren't graphics monsters and poly pushers but aren't they purely satisfying as they are ?

After these, PSP is not even sexy for me. In fact, i never intended to own a portable system (i bought GBs and DS for my son). Nintendo convinced me at this E3 and i will certainly buy a DS to be able to play with my son.

I don't know if you agree with me, but i think Nintendo is succeeding in bringing something different on the portable market (the numbers of sales tends to confirm that too).

Like many, i wait to know more about what the "revolution" will be, but i am confident ...

PS : i don't even talked about GB micro, but if it reads MP3, here i am ... !

Sony

CGI Station 3 unveiling...opps I mean PS3 unveiling :rolleyes:

Lots of pre-rendered and non-interactive footage (at least Heavenly Sword is realistic representation). I would love to be proved wrong and the PS3 games achieve such high quality graphics.

Bunk controller design. The thumbsticks are basicly in the same place as the dual shock which sucks.

Didn't see a big commitment to a hard drive, just lip service one will be available.

Surprised by the memory architechture. It comes across as odd to me that both GDDR-3 and XDR will be used. The CPU gets the ultra-high bandwidth ram, while the GPU gets a seperate pool GDDR-3 and doesn't have eDRAM.

Weak online strategy.

CELL is an awesome CPU.

Dual HDMI is cool. (dual screen support)

Blu-Ray drive included is a great deal.

Microsoft

Perfect Dark unveiling was a total debacle.

Weaker specs than the PS3 a bit disapointing.

Many games look to be only a minor improvement over current-gen games.

I've would have liked to seen a Microsoft flight simulator game, similar to Nintendo's Pilot Wings series. That or I wish EA would bring back the Janes simulation series and link them all together with online play.

The new controller should be great. They evolved the design perfectly. Love they kept two shoulder triggers. They're perfect for first person shooters. Lack of rubber coating on thrumbsticks is troubling. Was hoping for more intense and improved rumble effects.

I dig the hard disk drive upgrade slot on the console.

The console itself is a big improvement over the first X-Box.

All the new and improved LIVE stuff is awesome (gamer cards and web cam stuff).

I'm eager to try Kameo, Gears of War, and most of all Ghost Recon 3.

I love the idea of microstransactions. I hope it promotes developers creating high quality levels for games long after release. For example, I wouldn't want to Ghost Recon 4 released for at least 2 years after number 3 is. Hopefully in the meantime UBI can make money off of selling high quality maps to online users.

Increased Japanese developer support.

I'm a sucker for Top Spin 2 because the first one was a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back