Doom [PC]

Though it sounds thoroughly immersive, watching the original Alien movie gets my heart racing enough; I certainly don't have the balls to actually do it myself. :runaway:

Tried the demo, incredibly impressed by the engine and loved what I've played. It's constantly hitting 120-180 fps on my single 970 at 1080p with everything maxed and it looks and plays beautifully. I'm definitely getting this, any news on the Vulkan patch? I might have to wait it out.

If you're getting 120+ FPS, then what do you need the vulcan patch for? :D

Just for testing out the API i guess, it's just that i want it to be truly relevant in comparison to Dx12 (just for competitions sake) and Doom might be a great way to demonstrate that. And I've waited long enough for Doom that i'm able to wait a week or two more if there's a patch just around the corner. I don't think it'll make a difference perf wise, game is already amazingly optimized :)

Just for testing out the API i guess
Okay! Fair enough. However, why deny yourself the fun for some unknown amount of weeks when your system already runs the game beautifully? We don't even have a firm...ish date of when the patch is supposed to hit! You realize that you could be kicking demon butts and taking names right now?! :D

Okay! Fair enough. However, why deny yourself the fun for some unknown amount of weeks when your system already runs the game beautifully? We don't even have a firm...ish date of when the patch is supposed to hit! You realize that you could be kicking demon butts and taking names right now?! :D

Save money. Steam summer sale or winter sale should see it get discounted. Likely only 33% or so this year, though. Very small chance of 50% discount for Winter sale. At 50% discount I might consider it. 75% or 66% discount is my target to buy on it. Just because of how they massively F-d up on the multiplayer and for the unforgivable save system they have in place.

Regards,
SB

4x DSR! lol
I have a 970 in my HTPC and run 1360x768 Ultra instead of 2720x1536 DSR because it's just not able to maintain the latter at 60 fps with Ultra. The temporal AA is pretty good in this game anyway. The palette and environments seem to be a good fit for it.

I have a 970 in my HTPC and run 1360x768 Ultra instead of 2720x1536 DSR because it's just not able to maintain the latter at 60 fps with Ultra. The temporal AA is pretty good in this game anyway. The palette and environments seem to be a good fit for it.
Weird, poor CPU or something? On my 3rd-gen i5 OC and my 970 I can sustain 60fps at 2560x1080 on Ultra.

It has a i5 2500K at 4.2 GHz and a Z77 mobo. Yeah 2720x1536 just a bit too much.

The DSR factors below 4x are not exactly great so I just run native for the game. But in general I have to say I love how 4X DSR eliminated my desire to own a 1080p TV. 1360x768 plasma will probably be here till it dies of flaky Samsung capacitors or something (the screen flashes sometimes heh).

Last edited:
Ah yeah, that is a few more pixels :) Fair enough. Doom actually maxes out my VRAM on Ultra.

Too bad they can't support just supersampling in one dimension e.g. 1360*1536.

Would need developer support on that to fix FOVs etc...

Ha! It was the best thing to wait, first day in Steam Sales and 40% off! :yes: Downloading...

Amazing game, might be my favorite FPS the last few years. Only problem is i get a few hangs during loading screen for some reason and i have to restart my whole system.

Amazing game, might be my favorite FPS the last few years. Only problem is i get a few hangs during loading screen for some reason and i have to restart my whole system.
There's a known issue on Nvidia cards for the opening videos but it should only break once. It hasn't done that again for me since the first load.

Back