2015-onwards Folding @ Home thread!

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Had an extended summer break for GPU folding, first due to the hotter weather, then due to driver wonkiness in this new windows 10 era. Performing an upgrade from win8 to 10 caused lingering video card issues, one of which was F@H bugging out, sometimes within only minutes of starting GPU folding. So I was limited to around 28k-30k PPD on my main rig, and around 16-22k PPD on my older PC, a Nehalem i7-920 OC'd to 3.3GHz, with an obsolete Radeon 6000-series GPU. It ran Crysis well in its day, but that's it. It can't fold anymore, that's just the way it is; each WU take forever (1+ day) to complete and while it goes the GPU blower fan howls like a banshee, exhausting a jet-engine-like stream of superheated air. Big ole waste of electricity having it running.

Clean install of win10 on the main rig, and then the latest AMD beta Cats fixed my issues though, so now I've had my R290X going mostly around the clock for a couple days. It gets WARM in here, even with the kitchen exhaust fan going full tilt and the radiator thermostats completely shunted off.

Depending on the WU, my PPD now varies around 190k to 330k. Most often it seems to hover in the 240-280k span though. Ridiculous difference. I could pretty much shut off the nehalem rig, as its contribution is in the error-bars territory... :p

Can't fold on the GPU while 3D stuff is running though (IE... Games.) Depending on the game, I might not even notice - much! - that folding is running in the background; separate compute command queues and whatnot in AMD NGC architecture really does its job here, but eventually it wonks out. When I tried gaming and folding the other day the GPU client simply silently stopped working after a couple hours (no errors in the log or nuttin), but in the past I've had driver resets happen on me, screen corruption or outright bluescreens out of the blue with no warning. Once the PC shut itself off completely.

Anyone still bothering with this stuff? I'm at position 3350ish out of 1.8M+ participants and still climbing...! :)

Back