Doom [PC]

Why not?? It would be like Horde mode of Gears on steroids!

I think it can work. The arena fights can be easily played with two. In fact, I think that MP mode shows how it is possible: glory kills are in (no slo mo for others, still cool effect for player) pick ups have a timer and appear again, all players run around at insane speed, even demons are in.

It can work, and it would be fantastic imo: playing together against hordes of demons in hell with metal sound, communicating and doing tactics together on high speed...me wants!

PS: and of course...tag team glory kills!

Yea they'd need to design for it to some extent from the start. Or at least not make a game so obviously crafted with one dude's journey as the artificial focus.

If the story mode is to difficult, they could have made a separate coop mode: just arena fights versus waves of demons, drop in/out online coop.

But even the story could be done in coop...wasn't it Halo 1 where all players were the Masterchief and everyone experienced the same story...still worked in the sense that it was a ton of fun.

If the story mode is to difficult, they could have made a separate coop mode: just arena fights versus waves of demons, drop in/out online coop.

But even the story could be done in coop...wasn't it Halo 1 where all players were the Masterchief and everyone experienced the same story...still worked in the sense that it was a ton of fun.
Absolutely agree on this. Treat the single player as the sacrosanct story mode. Any other modes can be layered on larking about (which, lets face it, is always more entertaining than the stories in games).*

*Notable exceptions noted oc.

DOOM storymode coop would be no more difficult than any other game with a storymode in it. There doesn't have to be a drop in/out system, me for example am not interested to play with random strangers, and I wouldn't do it. I'd play with my mate, whom I've been playing DOOM with since 1993. (Some breaks inbetween sessions, obviously... :p)

- the player has to be on the move all the time, at the insane (something like 45 km/h) speed of Doom Guy

Ripe for T-bagging animations

- the glory kill mechanics seem to basically pause the entire game for everyone else, in order to keep the player from getting killed by monsters or such
Then disable?

- each arena is filled with a LOT of pickups (armor, health, ammo, boosters etc) and how and when to pick them up is an important tactical element of the fights
It's co-op, and it's DOOM. It doesn't have to be tactical?

- they can't really support each other because they're just all around the place, all the time, and can't stop to wait for the other; in fact, they would probably have absolutely no clue at all about where the other guy is

halo-system? Teleporting & limited range + tracker

- also, most of the levels are full of tiny cramped spaces, or tight walkways and such, so when they would actually meet up it'd probably be annoying
Only if it's friendly fire. :p

- they'd still mess up each others' tactics by picking up important stuff or glory killing enemies that the other guy would have needed to survive

eeeeeh

- and of course all the boss battles would suddenly become totally inbalanced

That's the point of co-op? :p

I would like to hear their lead designer talk about why they made the game as it is. This Doom was put together relatively quickly. Probably a forced keep it simple approach because they had just flushed all that prior investment.

Last edited:
I would like to hear their lead designer talk about why they made the game as it is. This Doom was put together relatively quickly. Probably a forced keep it simple approach because they had just flushed all that prior investment.
It'd be interesting, but surely it's a reaction to the po-faced Doom4 v1.

"Right chaps, this really isn't working. What was Doom like again?"

"Well, the guy at the bottom of the screen looked really angry..."

And thus greatness was born...

For the future, I wouldn't mind it if they reused more of the Doom 3 designs (as "new/more" enemies) and with revamped animation/AI (ala the Hell Knight). The D3 pinky wasn't a bad design, just wasn't pinky. Maybe call it cyber pinky or something else. Zombie soldiers, of course. Maybe have a Cyberdemon 2.0 that's more akin to the original 90s design. Wraith was neat with the teleporting.

On another note, can't help but feel the Baron of Hell should have had a more goat-like head (snout, in particular). The cyber mancubus seemed a bit too comical also. The cyber stuff should have been more embedded instead of just power armour for demons.

Would like to see the Archvile return. Maybe it could buff demons instead to differentiate from the summoner now or something. *shrug*

Has there been any news on the Vulkan update? I've been really enjoying this game but I haven't had a lot of time to play it, so I've only just returned from Hell (for the first time?). Although it runs and looks great I'd like to hope it would be even better with Vulkan, even on my crusty 7970.

Soon™

But yeah, I already finished. Wouldn't mind running through again if it gave a boost for AMD, but then I won't expect much given mantle...

Unless his 7970 is in a PC with a gimpy CPU. Might do something exciting then.

Well this is irritating. Game crashed and now it has stuck me in developer mode. Meh. I only had one challenge to do and it was an easy one on Crucible.

Guess I'll replay the whole thing (secrets etc) if Vulkan comes out. Various community fixes didn't seem to work (verify game cache, folder/copy/paste etc)

Last edited:
Well that sucks. I've almost finished it and will do another playthrough on Vulkan maybe on harder difficulty and for secrets etc.

Well, was watching TB's stream of Doom and noticed that in Windowed mode he was getting 100+ FPS. Then after a cutscene it was temporarily stuck at 60 FPS. Thinking to fix it he went into Fullscreen Exclusive mode...20 FPS. Yeah! And you can't even blame it on UWP. :D

I'd almost be tempted to pick this up if it had a traditional save system, even with the abomination that is the multiplayer and the stupid (for a Doom game) Ryse style melee executions. Which is odd that many people hated it and called it a QTE in Ryse, but in Doom it's praised as being a great feature. I mean it's the same. Enemy glows = Execution time. The feature made sense in a game that was primarily about melee combat, but just seems completely disconnected with a game that's primarily a shooter. All in my opinion, of course. :)

Regards,
SB

Well that sucks. I've almost finished it and will do another playthrough on Vulkan maybe on harder difficulty and for secrets etc.
Oof. I started a new save file yesterday, and today it's bitching about the dev mode again. Already tried verifying the cache twice, and it didn't do anything. Gonna re-download all 44GB and delete the save game folder. :rolleyes:

I wonder if this has to do with the patch that added crash reports i.e. it flags everything to be dev mode in order to grab the data but they accidentally perma-dev switch (or it didn't work properly). bleh.

Back