Doom [PC]

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
Just ran a quick deathmatch in Doom Beta on PC

• Opening sequences before menu are not vsync'd, causing massive FPS and spinning up GPU fan a lot
  • Only aspect ratios are 16:9 & 16:10 :???: WTF now id have become only a console company
  • Massive tearing whilst running around
  • The TAA is nice but possibly a bit too blurry

• Opening sequences before menu are not vsync'd, causing massive FPS and spinning up GPU fan a lot
  • Only aspect ratios are 16:9 & 16:10 :???: WTF now id have become only a console company

Just played a round of the beta myself on PC.

No tearing thanks to gsync but everything else is pretty much terrible.

Weapon firing and impact sounds are weak
Player movement is a joke. Only one speed and it feels like you're on a hover board. There's no sense that you're actually running.

Graphics are extremely disappointing for a big name 2016 title. Particle and fluid effects are crap. Geometry detail is low. Character models and textures nothing to write home about. Level design in the beta is uninspired. Might just be multiplayer but doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.

Overall a POS.

The multiplayer feels like a checkbox requirement for today's gamer's expectations. Like Doom3's multiplayer was. I couldn't care less about some deathmatchy stuff. I suppose some business dude dreams of the game having legs through tournaments or some such.

I wish they'd done a short demo of the SP instead.

Besides, back in the Doom dial up days when I did multiplayer it was coop mode. For some reason that's skipped their minds again.

Last edited:

Damn.. this is everything but Doom...
Screw you zenimax!

Are they still using the engine rage used ?
Not according to claims. It's been said to be something cooked up entirely post-Carmack by their new chief tech guy. Dunno how accurate that is, Carmack worked for years on their new-next-thing after Rage, seems a big ole waste to just throw all that out, so they probably didn't. :p (Especially since doing so would probably have set them back content-wise (again!), due to the way rendering tech and art assets tend to go hand-in-hand...)

A list of the menu settings that will be available in the final build:
We got a lot of feedback from the PC community with regards to capped framerates, monitor support, multi-monitor support and other PC features that weren’t emphasized in the Beta for various development reasons. So to clarify: At launch the PC framerate will not be capped,” Duffy wrote. “Further, the PC version of Doom will expose a comprehensive set of advanced game and rendering options that will allow players to dial the experience up or down based on their individual desires or hardware capabilities.”

Along with the uncapped frame rate, the PC version of Doom will support 21:9 monitors, adjustable FOV, and “a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance.” Current “expected” advanced settings include:

• Manually Lock Framerate (un-locked by default)
  • Lights Quality
  • Chromatic Aberration Toggle
  • Shading Quality
  • Post Process Quality
  • Particles Quality
  • Game F/X Quality
  • Decal Quality
  • Directional Occlusion
  • Reflections Quality
  • Depth of Field Toggle
  • Decal / Texture Filtering
  • Motion Blur Quality / Toggle
  • Sharpening Amount
  • Lens Flare Toggle
  • Lens Dirt Toggle
  • Texture Atlas Size
  • Show Performance Metrics
  • Resolution Scaling
  • UI Opacity
  • Film Grain
  • Rendering Mode
  • FOV Slider
  • Simple Reticle
  • Show First-person Hands Toggle
  • Use Compute Shaders
  • Vsync (support or triple buffering)

Source

"Texture atlas size" tells me there's a lot of carmak's code in there then...

Finally some fast PC singleplayer/arena gameplay (GTX 1080)

Doom running on GTX 1080 with Vulkan API

Now I am interested. The gamepad gameplay videos were a bit boring.

He switched the weapons with the keyboard. No ugly/annoying weapon cycle. I also like the small HUD.

I think I'll be waiting for that Vulkan release before playing it.

Finally some fast PC singleplayer/arena gameplay (GTX 1080)

Doom running on GTX 1080 with Vulkan API

Now I am interested. The gamepad gameplay videos were a bit boring.

He switched the weapons with the keyboard. No ugly/annoying weapon cycle. I also like the small HUD.
That weapon swap ;)

the most weapon swapping I've ever seen in a SP game that's for sure. MP I get it, but SP, wow.. heh love it.

That weapon swap ;)

the most weapon swapping I've ever seen in a SP game that's for sure. MP I get it, but SP, wow.. heh love it.

That's what I used to do in Quake II / III all the time. Looks tempting from that video and if I buy it, it will be for SP and not MP :)

It looks awesome, but I'm waiting until I've got my 1080/1070 before picking it up! The sun is setting on my now 4 year old 670.

Back