Doom [PC]

Yeah if you have a console or a GTX 970 (or faster) you sing the praises of the engine. If you have less, it's another story.

You really don't need a 970 to enjoy the game on PC. A 380 / 780 will give you a pretty solid 60fps at all Ultra settings. And you can achieve the same with a lot less performance if you drop the settings from Ultra (which all reviews have been using so far) to the console medium/high mix. The Face Off will give us more info but Id's expect you can get a PS4 identical or better experience on a 760/950 or 370.

Totally agree about not needing a high end GPU, I'm running it on my 7970 on my 1200x1920 monitor and it feels a constant 60 fps. There is also very little tearing, only spotted it a few times, I've only noticed it stutter once or twice so far, currently on my way up the Argent Tower. My settings are still set to the default, I did notice some sort of AA is 8x and many of the sliders are set to high, I think it looks fantastic.

Totally agree about not needing a high end GPU, I'm running it on my 7970 on my 1200x1920 monitor and it feels a constant 60 fps. There is also very little tearing, only spotted it a few times, I've only noticed it stutter once or twice so far, currently on my way up the Argent Tower. My settings are still set to the default, I did notice some sort of AA is 8x and many of the sliders are set to high, I think it looks fantastic.
I thought everybody with AMD was unhappy about the game's performance. The above sounds like my GTX 970 at 1440p.

I tried it on my notebook, which is a i7 4810QM with GTX 860M and that wasn't so great. Even on low detail at 1360x768 it has a hard time getting 60 fps and this game doesn't play well if you can't get it to stay at 60 fps.

On my HTPC, I have a GTX 970 running 1360x768 with Ultra settings. That's rock solid 60 fps. I initially tried 2720x1536, my usual DSR setup, but it couldn't handle that adequately. I'd rather run Ultra at 768p.

I think the game is more demanding than it should be for the boxy, sparse and simplistic environments but what do I know. The particle effects are the most impressive part I think.

Last edited:
Checked out the newest catalyst driver (or whatever they call it these days).

With previous driver (the DOOM optimized release) and shadows on high rather than ultra, in the big room just before you find the chainsaw (there's crates going by periodically on a conveyor here), the FPS hits 60+ on my R9 390X, but if one swishes the mouse around a bit it can drop to as low as 52. On ultra, it will go down to 40-something.

New driver - well over 60. Then I discovered there were some advanced settings that weren't at max; I whacked those up to full and lo - still 62 fps. Game stays at 60+ most of the time but tears a lot with vsynch set to adaptive. Well, at least it's fluid! :)

Not too fond with the fuzzy way the game handles ledge grabbing. Most of the time you grab a ledge, sometimes you don't - for seemingly no reason. Once, in one of the larger rooms in Resource Ops map I missed a grab and fell a hella distance (like 10-15 meters straight down), fortunately landed on solid ground and took no damage whatsoever. ¿Qué? lol...

THEN, after A Lot of jumping and swearing and squinting at the annoying automap with its shiny highlight that hides if you've explored a region or not if viewed from certain angles and distances, I fell down another hole while chasing an inaccessible area (with some ammo stashed strategically so you could see you can get there somehow) where there was no ground below and died. Then I respawned hella far away across the whole fucking map, because I had already used up all the autosave points. Fecksake, I hate HATE that stupid console autosave shit! That's why I play on a PC goddammit!

Quicksave or bust!! Not sure I feel like playing this game anymore, tbh.

I'm having such fun with this game that having to replay small portions of it rather than loading a quicksave actually feels like a bonus. :D

Doing my best not to overplay it atm. Want to stretch out the goodness. I wish the DLC was for single player.

Co-op with drop in/out a la Alienation would be the best thing in the world!

This is a great idea, I would totally play that. I didn't try the current competitive multiplayer mode, but I don't like pvp
Scale difficulty accordingly and maybe add some kill ranks and a ladder !

I'm having such fun with this game that having to replay small portions of it rather than loading a quicksave actually feels like a bonus. :D
The thing is - there's like 9 secrets or something on the Resource Ops level. When I'd finished the level (well, up to, but not including the button you hit to actually end it), I had found ONE of them. And that's only because I had the automap. Without that, I doubt I'd have found even that much...

So to get the bonus objective and the suit upgrade, I set out to find at least 3 secrets. Easier said than done! :p When I'd painted in all of the grey on the automap except the raised platform with the ammo stacked on top of it next to the two cargo elevators you can halt mid-transport by hitting a button on a nearby console, and the little nook with the Doomguy bobblehead miniature right at the exit, I'd found a whopping TWO secrets... Where the shit all the rest of them are is beyond me!

Anyhow, as I was attempting to reach said raised platform with the ammo, I fell down into oblivion, erasing all my progress towards the extra objective. And that included filling in a shit ton of grey on the automap after I reached the end of the level. Very frustrating (for me)! Frankly, DOOM's save system does not impress a lot for a PC game. Autosaves all overwrite one another (so no backtracking without starting all over), and all you get is a whopping three save slots. Seriously? 2TB harddrive array and all I get are 3 save slots? We're not dealing with fucking playstation 1 era memory cards here anymore...

So there's apparently a Classic Doom level in every mission. Damn, yet even more stuff to find on the next play through. This game is so much fun. Just finished Argent Tower so off to hell I go....

Be warned tho, enemies are new DOOM era, not old DOOM. Shotgun guys are replaced with plasma-toting troopers, so a fair bit more dangerous!

Yeah I had found one in the Foundry level, but noticed reading the info in-game on the classic doom area that it states there's one on every level. I'm not reading up anything online for secrets etc. (at least this playthrough) as I'm trying to find everything myself, which isn't too bad once you have the upgrades for your armor.

edit> false alarm. To be sure though don't play this on a family + friends account on the same PC. Got a corrupted save warning and told that my save was deleted. Turns out it wasn't.

edit2> it did however reset most of my gfx options and unheck all the boxes in the gameplay menu. Odd.

Last edited:
DOOM's autosave system would P me off much less if it triggered upon discovering a secret as well as progressing across the map.

But a PC game needs to have quicksaves. It's just insulting that it does not. All previous DOOM games had quicksaves. Besides, I'm older now. I might not have the time (or, *ahem*, persistence) to play on until the next autosave point. I should therefore lose all progress I made from last point up until where I am now? Bullisht!

Yeah I had to do a challenge twice because it didn't save for some damn reason.

I still had fun fucking up those demons tho, so I dunno. Is it a bad thing or a good thing.

Actually, I don't think that coop would work in this game, at all - in fact I'd say id might even have tested out the idea and abandoned it intentionally.

The entire game flow is built on a few foundations:
- the player has to be on the move all the time, at the insane (something like 45 km/h) speed of Doom Guy
- the glory kill mechanics seem to basically pause the entire game for everyone else, in order to keep the player from getting killed by monsters or such
- each arena is filled with a LOT of pickups (armor, health, ammo, boosters etc) and how and when to pick them up is an important tactical element of the fights

Thus, two players would make little sense for the following:
- they can't really support each other because they're just all around the place, all the time, and can't stop to wait for the other; in fact, they would probably have absolutely no clue at all about where the other guy is
- also, most of the levels are full of tiny cramped spaces, or tight walkways and such, so when they would actually meet up it'd probably be annoying
- they'd still mess up each others' tactics by picking up important stuff or glory killing enemies that the other guy would have needed to survive
- and of course all the boss battles would suddenly become totally inbalanced

Then again, maybe it would work... But I still think that coop play is more fitting for games like Halo, with a more moderate pacing and different approach to shooting.

Back