Doom [PC]

Well with some hope that if the game is ported to OpenGL 4.5 for AMD gpu's it will run better. ( run on 4.5 for Nvidia and 4.3 for AMD )

If the engine still does CUDA texture transcoding, there's your explanation for CPU load disparity. Megatexture processing has historically really pounded the CPU cores.

ie the AMD GPU isn't offloading it.
I didn't think there was any megatexture tech in id tech 6. It's certainly not apparent in DOOM. And texture quality is amazingly good (ie. not megatexture :) )

I didn't think there was any megatexture tech in id tech 6. It's certainly not apparent in DOOM. And texture quality is amazingly good (ie. not megatexture :) )

Not entirely sure but the files are suspicious and share some names with RAGE.

Attachments

• doom.png
    doom.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 24
Dooom was supposed to use megatexture, longlong ago (and targetted 30fps too IIRC). It could still be using megatexture of course even if not every polygon is necessarily sporting unique imagery. I believe even Rage re-used a lot of texture data, both indoors and outdoors.

Dooom was supposed to use megatexture, longlong ago (and targetted 30fps too IIRC). It could still be using megatexture of course even if not every polygon is necessarily sporting unique imagery. I believe even Rage re-used a lot of texture data, both indoors and outdoors.

Well, it's still using virtual texturing. I don't know exactly what's changed, but it looks like pop in isn't an issue anymore.

There's a huge difference with texture quality between Rage and Doom as well. True high resolution PC textures.

Wolfenstein TNO was an improvement over Rage as well. That still has pop-in problems though.

I tried the old "vt_usecudatranscode" variable and that doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
Well, it's still using virtual texturing. I don't know exactly what's changed, but it looks like pop in isn't an issue anymore.
Rage had to work around x360 DVD streaming and ps3 memory. It probably helps that all Doom platforms have a hard drive and have significantly more memory the virtual texture page size.

They also could be benefiting from dropping the megatexture for a smaller, higher res texture set.

It's a wonder that ATI/AMD are able to stay as competitive for as long as they have given how Nvidia conspiring with third party developers have managed to steer them into fumbling their driver releases.

I'm pretty sure their business deals with Sony, MS and Nintendo have been rather lucrative for them to say the least.

Beautiful game! I love all the dynamic lighting/shading..

20160515204305_1.jpg

Fire is a light source that casts shadows
20160515205905_1.jpg

Volume light shafts that cast dynamic shadows (doesn't appear to be the fake 2D SS solution)
20160514192215_1.jpg

Dynamic SSR that reflects particles
20160515141820_1.jpg

Beautiful mood lighting and nice textured wall
20160514192305_1.jpg

Excellent representation of Martian landscape
20160513002440_1.jpg

Yeah if you have a console or a GTX 970 (or faster) you sing the praises of the engine. If you have less, it's another story.

I played it in 4K with 2 GTX 970 yesterday. The latest NVIDIA driver unfortunately disabled SLI for Doom and I have to manually enable it in the per-application settings. It more or less works somewhere under medium to high setting, but neither really achieves all time 60FPS.
I'm not expecting a single 1080 to be able to do all time 60fps @ 4K, and I'm not crazy (nor rich) enough to build a new 1080 SLI rig XD
Gameplay wise I like it fast pace approach. Too bad there's no co-op campaign.

Back