Doom [PC]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Malo, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

AMD was just trying to give you the authentic "Rage" experience.

No shame in wanting to feel like a bad-ass or explore unhindered. :p

2. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Not really, at least from the numbers in the benchmark. For instance, compare the scores from Hawaii and Fiji -- both at 1050MHz GPU clock with similar primitive throughput. I think the game code is mostly ALU/Memory bound in some still unknown proportion. Poor OGL run-time should factor in, as well, for AMD.

3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

hm... bandwidth shouldn't be an issue for Furry.

feeding ALU?

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It seems to hesitate on my GTX 970 a bit, depending on what I'm looking at in the game. Pushing 2560x1440.

Certainly can tell it's an idTech5 evolution. I think it looks pretty good. I like the particle effects. Went outdoors and that was exciting too.

If you turn off the fancy AA, man is there some mega extreme specular aliasing at times. ;) Razor sharp pixels shining at you from puddles.

#44 swaaye, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  5. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Sorry if you already done this.
    Have you tried lowering the Shadow setting, especially if you set it to Nightmare?
    Seems that option can hurt a lot and has a high requirement even on VRAM.
    Cheers

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Advice is always good, especially if untested...!

No, I haven't tried fiddling around with settings yet, I just whacked them all (except one of them) up to max to see what it would be like, and if my card can handle it. It can, mostly! :p Good to know, but it can be better of course. I'll try lowering shadows "tomorrow" (IE, after I've had some sleep. ;)) Hopefully vulcan support can speed things up a bit...

Anyone know a timetable for vulcan support in DOOM? The latest AMD driver claims to have it, so should be OK on that front methinks.

7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Turn off all the bullshit like chromatic aberration.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

No timetable for Vulkan support. They just said "soon after release".

Bought it today. Absolutely gorgeous and runs 60fps without skipping a beat on my 970 at 2560x1080 on Ultra setting. It's a blast so far.

Grall, pjbliverpool and VFX_Veteran like this.
  9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I don't understand all the irrational hate CA gets. It's a cool effect, so I'm bloody well keeping it on! :p

BTW, Doom supports quite a litany of realtime effects, does anyone have an idea how many instructions/pixel (on average, I guess) Doom runs to render a full frame?

Doom 3 was on the order of what, 5-9 or something like that? Heh. What a difference a decade+ makes. ;)

10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Had to post this. Conversation I just had with a friend at work after I changed my Facebook cover.

doom funny.JPG

11. tabs

Veteran

@Grall Select the 'gritty' option to significantly brighten the dark areas of the game up.

Grall likes this.
  12. lanek

Veteran

3 months of beta with excelent result on AMD gpu's . dunno what to think aboout Alu or memory bound, its not as shadow could impact it so much ( it do no difference on memory, and it is mostly on compute side, where AMD gpu's are more efficient ).. Honestly i have no idea what have happend between the last beta build ( April ) and now.

( decrease shadow seems provide the performance of AMD gpu#s back )

I think a driver could fix it. as this setting was not available before.

#52 lanek, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    CSI PC likes this.
  13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I played some more, I'm now on the 2nd map/mission (?). Found upgrade for shotgun on first mission (picked explosive shot), but when I resumed play today, explosive shot was unavailable for whatever reason, despite I could see it in the menus.

Turns out, the game had automatically switched me over to triple shot or whatsitscalled on load, despite the feature not even being present. Minor bug there I would say. Easily remedied, once I understood what had happened (which was after I found the 2nd shotgun upgrade, and the built-in hint told me how to switch between them... :p)

Regarding the god-fucking-awful darkness: I ended up having to bump the gamma majorly, which I don't know if I'm supposed to do (because it might screw up contrast/dynamic range, crush my blacks and make my brights washed out), but it was the only thing that really helped, as even some bits of the in-game menus were difficult, if not close to impossible to make out when I had set gamma according to the instructions when first starting up the game, such as greyed-out buttons and option panes and such.

Never have I encountered a game that was so picky about gamma before. *shrug*

14. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Difference in CPU load is crazy.

16. Dave Glue

Regular

Brutal. Albeit it does give some more more hope to Vulkan to deliver a significant boost if it's spending that much time in the driver.

17. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I assume this vid was made using AMD's latest unsigned driver with explicit "DOOM support"?

If so, makes you wonder what the game was like with an older driver... Or maybe there were merely rendering bugs or such, and performance is basically unchanged. *shrug*

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

If the engine still does CUDA texture transcoding, there's your explanation for CPU load disparity. Megatexture processing has historically really pounded the CPU cores.

ie the AMD GPU isn't offloading it.

#58 swaaye, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Probably same thing that happened to Rage. AMD had good performance up until the next to last drop before launch. Nvidia helped iD make some adjustments. AMD weren't allowed the final build until the game was released. Horror and hilarity ensued.

Regards,
    SB

Ike Turner likes this.
  20. hughJ

Regular

It's a wonder that ATI/AMD are able to stay as competitive for as long as they have given how Nvidia conspiring with third party developers have managed to steer them into fumbling their driver releases.

homerdog, Grall and Ike Turner like this.