Doom 4 Announced

I liked Painkiller a lot for that, it did capture quite a lot of the original quake's spirit.
it has to walk a fine line being death-themed with catacombs, cthulhu settings etc. but not being emo or gothic vampire bullshit.

quake 1 is funny as the authors did not know whether they wanted to make a medieval game, a fire and brimstone game or a high tech game but it still had a unique atmosphere.

Wasn't Doom 3 a re-boot too? Anyway, I'm very excited for this but I hope we don't have to wait another 2 years for it.

doom 3 had that stupid "where should I go now?" problem when everyone is dead and you're endlessly circling the map looking for that one door. or one boring hard jump sometimes. I occasionnally no-clipped my way to the exit :LOL:

doom 3 had that stupid "where should I go now?" problem when everyone is dead and you're endlessly circling the map looking for that one door. or one boring hard jump sometimes. I occasionnally no-clipped my way to the exit :LOL:

Are you a 2010 fps kinda guy? :LOL:

leveldesignclassic.jpg

Non-linearity doesn't excuse confusing map design. I don't think it was intentional in Doom3 anyway because of how dark and samey the environments were.

Last edited by a moderator:

doom had the same problem, e3m7 was the worst, i ran around for hours trying to figure it out.

doom had the same problem, e3m7 was the worst, i ran around for hours trying to figure it out.

Heck yeah I remember holding down tab while running about so I could figure out where the hell I was :)

Blaz I think painkiller was more in the lineage of Doom than Quake. Quake had far fewer enemies, but art direction I can see your reasoning. Does anyone remember that machinima that tried to explain quake? It actually did a pretty decent job.

Sounds like BS. Rage seemed to be selling OK, I've heard it was number 1 on UK PC and console lists for its release week.

Besides, Doom4 has been in full scale development for quite a while now and the Rage art team has probably joined them several months ago. And I don't think Bethesda has enough power at id to tell them to postpone a project.

No, it was boot in the face of Doom fans.

No, it wasn't. btw, it's DOOM. ;)

Anyway, about the rumour, this is a two-part story. The first is that Bethesda has halted further development on the next DOOM, the second is that this decision was driven by a lack of confidence of id's management staff.

Until the rumour is confirmed, I don't believe it. Like Laa-Yosh, I don't think Bethesda would step in and take such a drastic move (though as owners they could). And what exactly would those hundred developers do while Bethesda and id's management staff talk it out? Work on Rage DLC?

Having said that, the second-part of the rumour is believeable. DOOM 3 wasn't exactly well managed, Rage also took a long time, so it's possible the next DOOM is smack in the middle of development hell right now and the staff can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet.

I just don't think Doom 4 can fail. It certainly won't be a terrible game, enough to hamper sales enough for it to be unprofitable. Its iD and its Doom (or DOOM, if you like). It will sell well regardless of how average D4 may be. Bethesda know this well enough.

If there's any truth at all to this rumor, I'd say its iD wanting to delay D4 to the next gen consoles and/or getting a Rage 2 out first, which will be less expensive for them to make.

I think it is possible considering the way reviews have been for ages.
Doom 3 - 87
Rage 79-83 depending on platform

Basically every game gets a worse reception.

And looking at user reviews wow. It is somewhat hilarious that all these people review the game that don't even play it. I think that the employees of id are probably sad that their work is so poorly received and would like to continue, but the high ups could retire and the others could move on. The work they actually do is pretty stellar so it isn't as if the artists could not be hired somewhere else.

If iD games stopped trying to take themselves so seriously and they did a technologically superb Painkiller a-like with all the features people love like drop in/out co-op, online leaderboards and some sort of objective based multiplayer (anything where good tactics would help a bit to negate a lack of twitch skills) it would be win win win all the way to the bank. They know good fast paced core shooting mechanics and their obviously talented artists could go nuts designing differently themed levels.

I agree but I find it hard to believe user reviews scores driven by PC launch problems would drive this decision. Like us, they should also be able to view them for what they are and not influence the outcome of another multi-year, multi-million dollar project.

id has great developers, they need great managers (Tim and Kevin's work on managing DOOM 3 showed they aren't). They need someone that can whip that company into shipping a AAA game in 3 years.

Halting DOOM development... it seems counter-productive, unless they decide to focus the entire company on Rage DLC/2.

And what exactly would those hundred developers do while Bethesda and id's management staff talk it out? Work on Rage DLC?

That's actually the most important element. Wasting just one or two months without productive work costs a small fortune at this studio size, like about a million dollars or more.

Back