Doom 4 Announced

Berek

Regular
Here it is folks, the successor to Doom 3... can we count? Yep, its 4! :).

http://www.idsoftware.com/

I enjoyed Doom 3 quite a bit, as it offered a lighting system on a class of its own, but as with many games had its draw backs as well. Such as that you could not hold a darn flashlight with a gun (Thank you modders)!

What are your thoughts on Doom 4's potential as a successor? I especially like the potential of the idTech5: http://www.joystiq.com/tag/idtech5

While this is traditionally a PC game series, we have seen revisions come out on consoles before, especially with the release of Doom 3. What are the implications for release on the PC this time around, especially with a guy thinking like this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1784975,00.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing how irrelevent id Software has become in the last 5-7 years. They desperately need to hire some real design talent and limit Carmack's influence within the company on anything that pertains to design.

I don't really think the problem is Carmack's influence as much as his lack of interest. It seems he's been more focused on his non gaming projects.

Yeah, I totally agree with John Reynolds. If Doom 4 turns out to be Doom III 2, it will be just as bad a game as Doom 3 was. (I used Roman numerals just to make a point).

Well whatever I liked Doom3. So sue me :p

I am looking forward more to rage though. I liked Doom 3 mainly for the lighting at the time. I remember how nifty gl_shadows 1 seemed in quake2 ages ago so it doesn't surprise me that I liked it. Still I have to admit it wasn't something new and exciting. I actually got the expansion as it was 2.99 or something and I just played through it at high speed after letting it sit for 3-4 months on my shelf. Very boring by that time.

In general though new games are less exciting than they used to be to me. I will agree the monster closets thing was sad though.

And I agree with AlphaWold to some extent, but I also like some of J.C.'s ideas such as don't make the user interface so darn complicated. I hate having my whole keyboard mapped to bullcrap. Other developers have done that better though. Simple commands that are more contextually sensitive so you can do many different actions, with fewer bound keys.

Doom4 is undoubtedly going to be linear and uncomplicated. Hopefully they'll have some new ideas to liven things up, but it won't be a radical departure from the formula. I'm curious to see this new engine in action. I liked the look of Doom3, despite the hard shadows. The shadows, however unrealistic, gave it a lot of visual depth that games with more static shadowing don't seem to have.

I personally enjoyed Doom 3 for what it was. I am as well looking forward to Doom 4. Although I would agree that Id needs to break away from the typical corridor shooter for the series. Taking the Doom franchise into new avenues and areas to expand gameplay is a must at this point as the series no longer has the pedigree it did in years past.

The problem I find with a lot of ID games is they feel like "an engine looking for a game" ie solution looking for a problem. While the technology may be impressive, the game attached to it always seems to be a tech demo for the engine. With something like D3 being so heavy on the shadows, the kind of game we got was almost inevitable. Other licensees of the engines always seem to make better games. I guess that's been the way it is for ID games for a long time now.

If they make it more like the original (higer movement speed, no reloading, no stupid "realism" with the flashlight etc.) then I'd almost kill to play it. If not, I'm passing regardless of gfx-candy.

If they make it more like the original (higer movement speed, no reloading, no stupid "realism" with the flashlight etc.) then I'd almost kill to play it. If not, I'm passing regardless of gfx-candy.

I want my eye candy as well, but I agree. I want either a more open world, or a more serious sam kinda vibe.

What turned me off about DOOM 3 was the weak puny weapons sounds and handling/animations aswell as how the enemies reacted to the hits. It felt like shoting with a soft-air gun, piu piu piu plip plip plip. That was all otherwise it was entertaining and scary.

What turned me off about DOOM 3 was the weak puny weapons sounds and handling/animations aswell as how the enemies reacted to the hits. It felt like shoting with a soft-air gun, piu piu piu plip plip plip. That was all otherwise it was entertaining and scary.

This is true about wimpy guns. Doom4 should have a gun that shoots flowers and rainbows.

This is true about wimpy guns. Doom4 should have a gun that shoots flowers and rainbows.

Glad to see I am not the only one!

More "PAW PAW" and less "PIU PIU". About that hippie gun, would it come with a 'free trip'? :LOL:

With something like D3 being so heavy on the shadows, the kind of game we got was almost inevitable.

Well, having walked around in Id's office I'm not sure it's the technology that inspired the game. Minus the monsters it's a similar experience. Very dark and the only light
comes from the screens. I could see Carmack bumping into some other dude in the corridor scaring the shit out of him and viola a game concept is born. ;)

Funny enough, their licensees are the same. Windows shut and lights off. I don't think I ever saw this with any other developers than those using the D3 engine.

As for Doom 4, cool! I'll play it.

Back