Doom 4 Announced

After doom3 it shouldnt be to hard to make something better. As long as they drop the plastic fantastic look, cant stand another game on a dirty space station looking like everything was just freshly painted and shiny mariens looking like they just took a bath and used some nice skin lotion.

A comment I once saw that still applies today:

Internet Aphorism said:
"STOP PRESS: 'id Cures AIDS, Cancer'
#1 comment: stupid fuckers, just trying to delay doom3 more
#2 hahaha what morons, they should've spent their time curing herpes
#3 friggin hippies, i ain't buying anything they're making thanks to <some game 10 years ago>
#4 WTF? DO I SMELL DUMBED DOWN FOR CONSOLES?!?

Anyway, as a DOOM nut and knowing I can't ever be truly objective about a DOOM game, I really hope Vys, BZB, Cartoon Corpse, et al. are disappointed with DOOM 4. Why?

I'm buying the D4 Collector's Edition. id can pretty much count on my 60-70 euros. It's a done deal. Since I loved D3 I don't want id to deviate too much from that. Yes, I liked the monster closets and the respawners and the story and the level design, and the need to switch to the torch, etc. Obviously, if set on Earth, D4 will have to be a bit different but if it turns out like GTA with demons I'm going to be very disappointed.

So, I hope my distinguished fellows are disappointed with D4 because that will probably mean I'll love it. :cool: I've beat D3 six times now (how's that for replay-factor?) and I still have fun. Bring on the zombies and the imps and just give me a shotgun and chainsaw. :devilish:

P.S. I originally posted about this news in the console forum because of Shacknews' heavy emphasis on the multiplatform angle and how the game is running at 60Hz on all of them with a quote from id. Unfortunately, that quote seems it's from a previous interview they did with id regarding id Tech5/Rage. Bit miffed at Teh Shack.

Problem is, I played the original Doom and Doom 2 when they came out, so I know that Doom 3 wasn't a true sequel. Where were the big open areas, the dozens of enemies, the giant level bosses? All that was left was the linear corridor crawl, the monster closets, and an engine designed for shadows and darkness.

In that respect Painkiller was much closer to an update of Doom's signature style than D3 was.

Richard: Wow, you sound like you are in denial! :D

I agree with you, BZB. Painkiller was much more fun than Doom 3. It had more imaginative maps and the end map is stylistically beautiful.

Problem is, I played the original Doom and Doom 2 when they came out, so I know that Doom 3 wasn't a true sequel. Where were the big open areas, the dozens of enemies, the giant level bosses? All that was left was the linear corridor crawl, the monster closets, and an engine designed for shadows and darkness.

In that respect Painkiller was much closer to an update of Doom's signature style than D3 was.

There were certainly big end bosses in Doom 3. The Cyberdemon was even better than the one in the original Doom (which is really saying something!)

I do feel the game was too long, but the hell levels were awesome. I did enjoy it overall. It just could have been 10-20% shorter.

I do feel the game was too long, but the hell levels were awesome. I did enjoy it overall. It just could have been 10-20% shorter.

hm... I actually thought the pacing on the Xbox version was quite good. They got rid of a few levels and I thought it was a much tighter experience from beginning to end. Some of the changes were good too...

The reveal of the chainsaw party-hat guy was much different as well. Instead of just going through a well-lit hallway, the player is introduced to a dark hallway with ghostly images of said chainsaw guy as the player traverses the black hallway...

If they want to be ultra scary with Doom 4, they need spooky sequences like such instead of relying only upon black and pop-up demons. I am all for scripted sequences in that sense, be it random encounters, or ghosts...

hm... I actually thought the pacing on the Xbox version was quite good. They got rid of a few levels and I thought it was a much tighter experience from beginning to end. Some of the changes were good too...

Never played the xbox version. My impression of the PC version was that it if it were a book, it needed a better editor. Sounds like they addressed that for xbox.

Never played the xbox version. My impression of the PC version was that it if it were a book, it needed a better editor. Sounds like they addressed that for xbox.

Of course, on the other hand, the xbox had some fugly graphics to deal with and more loading between levels. :p

Areas were shortened (probably more to do with the limited RAM), and levels cut out. It's like trimming the fat I guess. The game was a lot shorter as a result, less walking/running. :p The co-op levels were not bad for gameplay - widened corridors and rooms, more enemies. The levels weren't much to look at as a result, but it was co-op!

Areas were shortened (probably more to do with the limited RAM), and levels cut out. It's like trimming the fat I guess. The game was a lot shorter as a result, less walking/running. :p The co-op levels were not bad for gameplay - widened corridors and rooms, more enemies. The levels weren't much to look at as a result, but it was co-op!

Yes but the fat that defines and gives form, a nice form not flubber fat. Like for example the beginning of DOOM 3 where the vessel lands. Totally missing from the xbox version, yet it added depth to the PC version. It also felt a bit more repetitive on the xbox version (shorter, but more of the same?). Otherwise it looked quite good but a far cry from the PC version at high.... and with high AF and high-res... game over!

Well, they turned into a video rather than eliminating it. ;)

It also felt a bit more repetitive on the xbox version (shorter, but more of the same?).
I'm not sure how this makes sense... From a long repetitive game to a shorter version of the game and the shorter version is considered more repetitive :?:

Otherwise it looked quite good but a far cry from the PC version at high.... and with high AF and high-res... game over!

Indeed. :LOL:

Well, they turned into a video rather than eliminating it. ;)

Really, fuzzy memory. I owned both games and most have forgotten the video! :oops:

I'm not sure how this makes sense... :???: From a long repetitive game to a shorter version of the game and the shorter version is more repetitive?

But there where some more scenes to break the repetitive gamming/level layout if only for a moment (you know like in movies when they take out some scenes).

there also need to be much less story telling and more action, if it has a story you should be able to play while ignoring it as in e.g. Far Cry. I don't want to spend half the time listening to audio logs.
I don't mind mood-setters in a game that is supposed to be atmospheric. If they go horror/fear they have to build tension in some way.
On the other hand, they could opt to go the relentless shooter path a la original Doom, or Serious Sam.

More enemies even if it means less realism, the original engine allowed you to fight a horde of 100 imps or some other assortment of baddies.
Pouring tons of enemies onto the player, done right, is a game mechanic that can push the player towards panic. Depending on genre, this could indeed be useful.
Faster running speed. Staying corpses! Quake 1 had those features (and you ran at something like 100mph which was a bit too fast but you didn't spend time crawling through the map)
Speed! Yes! I hate the modern shooters where you move like a slug on Valium. I believe it's a trick to even out player skill levels, and make online gaming less ping dependant. But having my hero character shuffling about like an escapee from a geriatric ward really breaks the mood. (Rendering his point of view from the perspective of a midget doesn't help either.)

Can't wait for this - ooooooh!!

Love the doom3 single player game, completed it too many times to say (takes around 3 and half hrs ;) ), and hope I get as much enjoyment from their next offering. Multiplayer sucked donkey balls, but hey :D

Speed! Yes! I hate the modern shooters where you move like a slug on Valium. I believe it's a trick to even out player skill levels, and make online gaming less ping dependant. But having my hero character shuffling about like an escapee from a geriatric ward really breaks the mood. (Rendering his point of view from the perspective of a midget doesn't help either.)

That cracked me up.

I in no way think they are to slow, in fact they are probably to fast considering all the crap the character is carrying supposedly, but that said a faster movement speed still translates to more fun for me.

So, based on the fact that RAGE is taking 4 years do produce, we can deduce from Carmack's statement that Doom 4 should ship sometime before 2014? :sleep:

Id Software has confirmed that the highly anticipated DOOM 4 is in full production, as production for id’s latest game, RAGE, wraps up. DOOM 4 was first announced in 2008 but has been notably absent from the QuakeCons of recent years. However, ID Software may finally reveal some details at next week’s QuakeCon.

The only details known at this time is that the game will be “the best looking game id has ever made” and will be a reboot of sorts. We will have to wait until next week, although I have a feeling that DOOM 4 won’t be due for a release for some time. Stay tuned to GameBlurb for information from Quakecon 2011 and more.

:D

great, I'm sure they'll have very good art, judging from the work with Rage. perhaps some great music and shotgun sound.
I'm figuring it's beginning when the space marine comes back on earth and finds out his beloved little bunny has been savagely beheaded :D

lots of testosterone flled shootings, punching and sawing ensue.
it helps that we'll be fighting hell demons, this allows the game to remain fantasy violence. I would feel more troubled by a game where you kill humans for poltical reasons those days.

Back