Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

"A trusted insider has stated that “mid-life upgrades” versions of the PS5 devkits have been making their way to AAA studios."

Already been discussed the past few days in this thread. It's the same rumor circling around the echo chambers.

I think there is room for a higher priced tier that aims at upscaled 4k at 60fps with good raytracing around 700~750. A mid range gaming PC will cost you 2k these days.. a lot of people don't bat an eye at 1k phones either so I don't think there is a lack of people that are willing to spend more.
Not really. My son wants a new computer and priced a Ryzen 5 5600X with 16 GBs, 500 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD and a 3060 for $1150 at Best Buy. $2K will get u a 3080 based PC. Hardly what I would consider mid range. But I consider 3090 and the new 4000 series in the ultra premium range.

Personally I would prefer for a slim rather than a pro.

Or both, so I can grab the slim one.

1440p upscaled to 4k already looks good enough from TV viewing distance

Generations are dead. Sony's words said otherwise, but their actions proved it. Rolling hardware is where it's at now.

A few things need to happen for new hardware to emerge:

1. At least 75% of new shipping titles need to exploit XSX and PS5 fully and drop X1 and PS4 support.
2. Transistors have to shrink and line up with whatever ZenX and RDNAx make sense for the next consoles (ie. features and IPC advantages) and new units can't be more than $599 (maybe $699).
3. Existing XSX and PS5 have to shrink and sell for $399 or less.
4. Supply constraints must be ameliorated.

All four of these won't happen until at least 2025 at the earliest, likely not until 2026.

Not really. My son wants a new computer and priced a Ryzen 5 5600X with 16 GBs, 500 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD and a 3060 for $1150 at Best Buy. $2K will get u a 3080 based PC. Hardly what I would consider mid range. But I consider 3090 and the new 4000 series in the ultra premium range.
If you have a microcenter by you , check it out they do really good combo deals

Generations are dead. Sony's words said otherwise, but their actions proved it. Rolling hardware is where it's at now.

1. At least 75% of new shipping titles need to exploit XSX and PS5 fully and drop X1 and PS4 support.
2. Transistors have to shrink and line up with whatever ZenX and RDNAx make sense for the next consoles (ie. features and IPC advantages) and new units can't be more than $599 (maybe $699).

All four of these won't happen until at least 2025 at the earliest, likely not until 2026.
Do we know the real causes of chip unavailability? Is it shortage on raw materials?

Do we know the real causes of chip unavailability? Is it shortage on raw materials?
From my pov*, ie what effects me the most. Production capacity, every time a factory in China closes down due to their zero covid policy, the backlog gets bigger. This is across the board for everything. This is not good in a JIT based logistics world. Then add that the price for production has gone up. And people have increased their order volume.

Example, Broadcom one of the largest (the largest) network chipset vendors in the world, can not get enough chips to supply big accounts like DT in EU.
All contracts, maybe except for US ones, have been delayed, by 12-24 months. If you want deliveries in that timespan, then you pay a markup of maybe 100% or even more to get you Broadcom chips. Broadcom has to pay extra to the chip factories, so they just claimed force majour and do not deliver instead.
Also Broadcom has prioritised the US market, but the "nice" move was that they willing dropped like 2/3 of their clients, since they could not supply them. But they expect the same revenue as before with just 1/3 of their customers active, jupp, price increase. At tradeshows last year they just cancelled their boots and the VP of sales stopped answering calls :) They knew what everybody was going to complain about anyway.

Many of the hardware integration vendors have had to jump from Broadcom to other chip vendors, but it's not that anybody is in position to cover the hole that Broadcom made by dropping customers. Other vendors have the same manufacturing issues.
Interesting part, to me, is which vendors can pickup slack, it looks like a couple of Taiwan chip companies, might be able to gain some marketshare, against the traditional brands like Broadcom and Qualcomm etc.

*This might me bact or pure fiction, its up to the reader to decide, what they belive and what facts they want to subscribe to. But gossip in the telecom world is always fun.

From my pov*, ie what effects me the most. Production capacity, every time a factory in China closes down due to their zero covid policy, the backlog gets bigger. This is across the board for everything. This is not good in a JIT based logistics world. Then add that the price for production has gone up. And people have increased their order volume.

Example, Broadcom one of the largest (the largest) network chipset vendors in the world, can not get enough chips to supply big accounts like DT in EU.
All contracts, maybe except for US ones, have been delayed, by 12-24 months. If you want deliveries in that timespan, then you pay a markup of maybe 100% or even more to get you Broadcom chips. Broadcom has to pay extra to the chip factories, so they just claimed force majour and do not deliver instead.
Also Broadcom has prioritised the US market, but the "nice" move was that they willing dropped like 2/3 of their clients, since they could not supply them. But they expect the same revenue as before with just 1/3 of their customers active, jupp, price increase. At tradeshows last year they just cancelled their boots and the VP of sales stopped answering calls :) They knew what everybody was going to complain about anyway.

Many of the hardware integration vendors have had to jump from Broadcom to other chip vendors, but it's not that anybody is in position to cover the hole that Broadcom made by dropping customers. Other vendors have the same manufacturing issues.
Interesting part, to me, is which vendors can pickup slack, it looks like a couple of Taiwan chip companies, might be able to gain some marketshare, against the traditional brands like Broadcom and Qualcomm etc.

*This might me bact or pure fiction, its up to the reader to decide, what they belive and what facts they want to subscribe to. But gossip in the telecom world is always fun.
Is it really due to Covid? Cause the markets know the high demand. The production should have increased significantly by now by starting production on other factories. The production doesnt look like it has recovered enough

Is it really due to Covid? Cause the markets know the high demand. The production should have increased significantly by now by starting production on other factories. The production doesnt look like it has recovered enough
Covid was the kickstarter, it caused the ripple effects that we are harvesting now. But increasing capacity is not done over night and with lockdowns capacity per year drops. Factories open close open close etc.

Add shipping issues, and not enough Containers, China builds more containers, which needs steel, price of steel goes up. We used to pay maybe 5 usd for shipping an item, now its 12-15, thats by plane, if we could ship by boat it would have been 1-2 usd. But products are already delayed, so plane it is. And Airlines strands your pallets if somebody pays more for their. We had 100 pallets delayed by 3 weeks, since the airlines got paid more from other companies. It has and is the wild west currently, everybody is doing the force majeour dance. :D
Taiwan did well against covid, until omicron, that put a big break on them.
Order books are filled up, factories kick out less profitable products and manufacture those they can profit more from.
Also Apple prepay for their manufacturing time, I bet TSMC wont break that contract, so that production capacity is looked down far in advance.
Maybe with the Iphone 14 not selling great, could free some capacity, but who wants 3 or 5 nm or what they use? Retooling the production line takes time and cost money.
Maintenance is down prioritised, when the factories are open, they do production not maintenance ie stuff breaks.

They can also just not drop the price and place the pro at 599

Sony do want generations dead. Having to support PS4 means a) extra work to support 2013 hardware, b) having to charge less for PS4 games vs PS5 games. This is a lose-lose scenario. Sony would much rather have sold 2x to 3x as many PS5s.

If you think otherwise, you do not know how greedy profit-focussed Sony are.

Back