Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

It could be a higher tier, higher margin.

Like how nintendo got lite, normal, oled.

Currently Sony only have digital, normal, - - - - - -.

If it can be made from a different supply line, allowing Sony to produce more PS5+PS5 pro, it'll bring better availability.

Rather than paying scalpers for a PS5, better to pay Sony for PS5 pro.

Rumor has it that some AAA studios have already received mid gen refresh dev kits.

I've seen that around several places but I don't believe there will be midgen consumer product upgrades at all. Sony hasn't even been able to get PS5 into a reasonable shape and size form factor. Microsoft is more likely to go with a rolling-generation approach than a midgen-upgrade.

Additional thoughts on "midgen upgrades":

A substantial amount of games are still targetting the last generation PS4 well into 2024, so the impact of a midgen upgrade would be limited and doesn't make much sense. The PS4 is really holding back the games. There's also the matter of costs. The PS5 is now $550. What would PS5Pro be, $750, $800, $900?

A substantial amount (maybe all of them now?) of Microsoft streaming servers are Xbox Series X blades, so the impact of nextgen upgrade would be limited and doesn't make much sense. There's also the matter of costs. The Series X is now $500. What would the Series X 2025 be, $700, $750, $850?

Overall, more convinced we have no midgen upgrades until costs drop drastically and they are ready to upgrade their entire server infrastructure too.

I think there is room for a higher priced tier that aims at upscaled 4k at 60fps with good raytracing around 700~750. A mid range gaming PC will cost you 2k these days.. a lot of people don't bat an eye at 1k phones either so I don't think there is a lack of people that are willing to spend more.

"captured on next-gen hardware"
Could merely be "next-gen hardware" meaning current-gen consoles PS5/SeriesX, no?
Could newer PC GPUs like RTX 4090 or AMD RDNA3, no?

Pretty (100%) sure that refers to the current gen consoles and PC. We still have people calling current gen "next gen".... and it's not helped by the fact that we're still waiting for cross-gen to be done with.

Also pretty sure that neither the 40 series nor RX7000 series GPUs would have been in their possession at this time this was recorded.

I've seen that around several places but I don't believe there will be midgen consumer product upgrades at all. Sony hasn't even been able to get PS5 into a reasonable shape and size form factor. Microsoft is more likely to go with a rolling-generation approach than a midgen-upgrade.
I agree with rolling gen especially for Xbox.

I think when MS come out with their new models they will be a direct replacement for XSX & XSS.
So it won't be $700.
The games will have long cross gen again with current gen running titles without RT, lower settings and resolution to fps.

I agree with rolling gen especially for Xbox.

I think when MS come out with their new models they will be a direct replacement for XSX & XSS.
So it won't be $700.
The games will have long cross gen again with current gen running titles without RT, lower settings and resolution to fps.

I'd say, comparing XSX and XSX desirability, that a big number of folks are willing to pay more for better specs.

Dual console approach at $399/699 price points could make sense. People are also lining to buy very expensive 4090's as we speak.

I'd say, comparing XSX and XSX desirability, that a big number of folks are willing to pay more for better specs.

Dual console approach at $399/699 price points could make sense. People are also lining to buy very expensive 4090's as we speak.
Economic climate for also making and selling isn't great either.
So they will probably be taking a bigger loss, for a minor amount of additional sales. In fact it probably wouldn't even be new sales it would be people upgrading from XS.

Obviously just imo, but I expect a rolling gen in between when a mid gen and full gen would've realeased.
Gives them time to recoup R&D and sales of consoles, short enough that people aren't desperate waiting for next gen because its gone on for longer than they want.
I don't think console gamers mindset is like PC with upgrading as often etc.
Also think their happy enough to let PC handle that side of things.

No they dont, not where i live atleast. Quite far from 2k actually. I can imagine australia maybe, but still, 2k should be above midrange.

Yeah a very rough price up just got me to $900 for an R7 5600 / 3060Ti / 16GB DDR4 / 1 TB NVMe with all the supporting components including a control pad an new copy of Windows. 2K would get you a very high end PC in the current market.

Yeah a very rough price up just got me to $900 for an R7 5600 / 3060Ti / 16GB DDR4 / 1 TB NVMe with all the supporting components including a control pad an new copy of Windows. 2K would get you a very high end PC in the current market.

I got my 3070m/5800H/32gb laptop for under 1500usd 1.5 years ago.

People also gotta realize that 'dev kits' and 'shipping product' can be separated by a long time.

It's possible that devs could be getting their hands on the first iteration of RDNA3/Zen3dev kits now or in the near future, I guess. It certainly would help to get their feet wet with optimizing for a potential new APU with a chiplet-based GPU architecture as early as possible.

It's also possible even if that were the case, with current process limitations & supply restrictions that there's really no intent to ship this until something like late 2024 regardless.

People are seeing this and saying "lol no way I'm buying a midgen in 2023" - I just don't think that's going to be an option if even a midgen refresh is true. Outside of the US, the rest of the world is still paying more for the PS5 than when it first launched. I mean they're got to get the PS5 down to its actual launch MSRP again first before introducing a new model, even at a higher price tier imo.

Looking at what you can actually deliver with TMSC and games still being made with last gen in mind right now, of course this looks ridiculous - and it would be to ship this in the next year. At the tail end of the next 2 years though? Eh, a lot could change by then.

Back