Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

Sony do want generations dead. Having to support PS4 means a) extra work to support 2013 hardware, b) having to charge less for PS4 games vs PS5 games. This is a lose-lose scenario. Sony would much rather have sold 2x to 3x as many PS5s.

If you think otherwise, you do not know how greedy profit-focussed Sony are.

The majority of games releasing now on the ps4/ps5 are games that were in development since the 2017-2019 time frame so I am sure Sony is thankful the ps4 existed.

Perhaps more cold water on the hope that we'll see a mid-gen refresh anytime soon.
We will have to see what the supply chains look like. Who knows a refresh could drive prices down. I wonder what a 8 or 12 core 5nm zen 5 with 3d cache and rdna 3 with infinity cache would actually end up costing them vs the current systems

The majority of games releasing now on the ps4/ps5 are games that were in development since the 2017-2019 time frame so I am sure Sony is thankful the ps4 existed.
That's an entirely different position. I concur that Sony are happy PS4 sold so well last generation that they could leverage the ability to get some titles on that older hardware.. There is clearly a line between what does get a PS4 port and what does not. Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West weren't originally announced for PS4 but those announcements came later, some with a little surprise - although being originally PS4 titles it makes sense. The same for God of War Ragnorak. Titles like Demon Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal and The Last of US Part I did not come to PS4. It feels like Sony have gone to teams can asked if titles can work on PS4, and released those they can, and skipped those that were viable.

This doesn't change that Sony would have much rather sold more PS5 consoles and been able to drop PS4 support earlier because that would have been more profitable in the round.

Stronger case for a slim model then

Slim model makes way more sense than any "Pro" thing for the next 2+ years. 5nm and chiplets == lower cost, less power. Add the new hardware encoder and a "boost" overclock mode, and you've got a system update that makes sense.

As for 8k, it's probably a big meh for most.

The only close upcoming tech I can see that's really "transformative" in a way most people would care about is lightfields, basically a practical hologram window. The ones a company is putting up for public art displays look rad as hell, and multiple people that have tried Google's "Project Starline" where a lightfield display looks like a window into another room have said it's straight up better than today's best VR.

No headset, no battery life, no nausea, no walls you can punch through, etc. Playing Forza Horizon through a holographic windows sounds rad as hell, and with say a stereo virtual camera setup and some interpolation magic an updated PS5/Series X with double the power might just be able to produce those holograms in realtime.

That's an entirely different position. I concur that Sony are happy PS4 sold so well last generation that they could leverage the ability to get some titles on that older hardware.. There is clearly a line between what does get a PS4 port and what does not. Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West weren't originally announced for PS4 but those announcements came later, some with a little surprise - although being originally PS4 titles it makes sense. The same for God of War Ragnorak. Titles like Demon Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal and The Last of US Part I did not come to PS4. It feels like Sony have gone to teams can asked if titles can work on PS4, and released those they can, and skipped those that were viable.

This doesn't change that Sony would have much rather sold more PS5 consoles and been able to drop PS4 support earlier because that would have been more profitable in the round.
Your assuming its that way. I believe the ps5 is the port of miles moralas and horizon. These games were made for the ps4 and enhanced for the ps5. The ps4 was also over a 100m units at thier launch while the ps5 was starting at 0

I think the games where design to be possible to run on PS4 with some downgrades. PS5 was most likely not a port, but I have no hard evidence.

I think the games where design to be possible to run on PS4 with some downgrades. PS5 was most likely not a port, but I have no hard evidence.
I'd imagine that Spiderman MM started dev right after Spiderman which released in 2018 and it uses the same engine that was built for the ps4 and at that point the ps5 would have been just development kits. Same with horizon as that came out in 2017

I'd imagine that Spiderman MM started dev right after Spiderman which released in 2018 and it uses the same engine that was built for the ps4 and at that point the ps5 would have been just development kits. Same with horizon as that came out in 2017
I am not sure what point your trying to make here, PS5 dev kits where available so the game was made for PS4? You said that the games was made for PS4 then ported to PS5. I said that the games was most likely designed to work on PS4, but where not PS5 ports.

At this point you're arguing over what 'port' means. The real question is whether or not Sony originally intended these games to be PS5 exclusive and then pivoted when they realised PS5 hardware sales would be constrained, regardless if that's called a port or cross-gen or progressive gen or whatever. What is Sony's deciding factor when the produce a PS4 version of a title, do they prefer that, would they prefer to not have to support last gen, etc.?

I am not sure what point your trying to make here, PS5 dev kits where available so the game was made for PS4? You said that the games was made for PS4 then ported to PS5. I said that the games was most likely designed to work on PS4, but where not PS5 ports.

Both games for instance had their engines designed for ps4 and assets made for ps4. The ps5 versions were just ports. They were always meant to be on both systems. The only game we only ever heard anything different about was Gran Turismo
At this point you're arguing over what 'port' means. The real question is whether or not Sony originally intended these games to be PS5 exclusive and then pivoted when they realised PS5 hardware sales would be constrained, regardless if that's called a port or cross-gen or progressive gen or whatever. What is Sony's deciding factor when the produce a PS4 version of a title, do they prefer that, would they prefer to not have to support last gen, etc.?
I think sony could always do math and new 100m+ would have been more than the install base of a new console launch

I think sony could always do math and new 100m+ would have been more than the install base of a new console launch
That's true of every generation ever. That didn't stop Sony and others making platform exclusives for limited next-gen install bases though. Why wasn't Killzone 2 or R:FoM also PS2 games? Why didn't MS produce XB1 versions of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, or cross-gen release Ryse or Killer Instinct for XB360?

That's true of every generation ever. That didn't stop Sony and others making platform exclusives for limited next-gen install bases though. Why wasn't Killzone 2 or R:FoM also PS2 games? Why didn't MS produce XB1 versions of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, or cross-gen release Ryse or Killer Instinct for XB360?

Well Killzone 2 launched 4 years into the ps3's life span. MM launched what months after the ps5 and horizon launch 18 months ? Resistance would have been a better example it launched a year into the playstation 3s life. But I would wager its because it was a new ip not a sequel and also because back then the ps2 and ps3 are different than the ps 4 and ps5.

As we are all well aware the ps3 wasn't just newer versions of the EE and GS. With ps4 and ps5 you are going from a x86-64 cpu and radeon gcn gpu to a x86-64 cpu and a radeon rdna 2 gpu. The ability to reuse the engine is greater . You also get longer dev cycles now than you did then.

Previous generations aren't useful here as an example because times change. It's just like asking why there wasn't a ps2 pro

I don't think there will be a PS5 pro or Xbox series XL.

I think Sony and MS will focus on availability and lowering cost(to themselves) of the machines they already launched. My personal hope is Sony comes out with a slimmer less clunky and unwieldy ps5 at some point.

With the component shortages, they can't keep the consoles they do have even in store shelves, and devs have not even tapped what the current machines are capable of outside of a few Sony launch titles.

It's harder to justify bigger and more expensive upgrades especially running into a recession, but more importantly, Xbox series x and ps5 feel like they were built to last.

And outside of a minority of cases with developer issues(Gotham knights) or intentionally pushing CPU power to the breaking point(a plague tale) it seems like the main obstacle for software is down to the artists and creators resources and not the machines hardware.

It's always been true, but it's the most true it's ever been with the consoles we have today.

Leaked "Mid gen refresh" looks like "Slim" versions, at least for the PS5. Less cost for Sony and MS, lower power usage/smaller for consumers. Maybe it'll have upgraded wifi or a bigger SSD.

Leaked "Mid gen refresh" looks like "Slim" versions, at least for the PS5. Less cost for Sony and MS, lower power usage/smaller for consumers. Maybe it'll have upgraded wifi or a bigger SSD.
There’s nothing that says they aren’t doing both like last generation with the pro coming later. I’m expecting late 2023 for the slim and late 2024 for pro

RDNA3 seems to have lackluster RT and AI improvements, only by shader optimizations (and a lot more CU’s on RX 7900XTX)? Does that not make gen 9.5 console(s) even more unlikely? By the time RDNA4 or whatever its called is out its more likely gen. 10 or maybe they will wait even longer to release new consoles.

I would not call rdna3s improvements lackluster. But yes at the features level it's more of an iteration of rdna 2 than anything with more efficient hardware due to the chiplet design.

I wonder if chiplet design could work for PS5 and Xbox series slim consoles?

i hope there isn't a mid gen refresh, that's going to backfire and teach people to only buy the mid gen refresh because it's taking forever to transition to this generation already.
The benefit isn't nearly as pronounced anymore, the big, pronounced benefit will come at mid-gen refresh.

i hope there isn't a mid gen refresh, that's going to backfire and teach people to only buy the mid gen refresh because it's taking forever to transition to this generation already.
The benefit isn't nearly as pronounced anymore, the big, pronounced benefit will come at mid-gen refresh.

I feel that the biggest selling point for a refresh would be increased RT performance but AMD aren't exactly selling their RDNA3 GPU's to Sony or Microsoft.

And next generation upscaling has killed the need to upgrade to get a resolution bump.

Back