Dirt 2

The lighting is really good, but the colors are weird again like last time. It seems like its not HDR but a really great fake. It's like it's sepia or something.

Doubt it would lack HDR since GRID has HDR (atleast on PC). The color could be due to colorgrading system.

Well it has to be the result of some kind of shortcut - I'm sure they're not doing it just because they think it looks cool. Anyone care to speculate?

That kind of washed out/sepia effect looks cool as long as its sun set time..the problem is, I think it makes every time of day look like a sun set due to the colour.

I honestly could'nt differentiate much between a sun set & noon time in Grid.

Looks awsome but will the pivot point of the cars actually be at the front wheels this time?

Does anyone know if this will also have all the old group B cars?

Since Tap In has poor tatse :p, Dirt 2 demo will be out on Live tomorrow. EU PSN tomorrow also and NA PSN next week.

I like the Dirt 2 demo, but I still like Grid better. I guess I'm just really into American muscle cars :) Dirt 2 does look and run real nice though, but I think I'll wait for the next Forza to get more racing fill.

presentation and menus are by far the best I have seen.. Graphics are very pretty! The engine is getting better nad better in each iteration!

I tried the demo on the PS3, both with the controller and the DF Pro wheel. Short summary: it's only marginally better than the original Dirt when it comes to the driving model. I put everything on the hardest and most realistic levels. Yes, you can slide more, drift slightly better and spin out slightly more easily. But it's not a huge improvement - I would say that the driving model is back to what it was for CMR4 on PC.

Although the Presentation does plenty to distract you, the graphics haven't changed all that much either. The cars are still very low-poly. The colors still look weird. There are a few nice effects, but overall the tracks are very static. Meh. It's a far cry from a game like Motorstorm 2, and in some ways that's understandable (long stretches of road to cover) but in other ways just really weird when you think about it. The tracks are very lifeless, the cars don't feel too good, the physics are boring, it's just ... not quite it.

If I had expected more, I'd be more disappointed. But right now, it's just as I expected: disappointing. ;)

Just tried. Very funny but I don't understand why the engine have the same problems of the previous version: lot of details but not so smoothy and tearing too when under pression or the camera view rotate too much. At this point, is it really necessary an engine with these difficulty in the vsync? I find that fundamental for a racing game . imho

I'm extremely impressed with the demo (PS3). The graphics, the cars, the controls are absolutelly great.
Not the biggest racing games fan here, but i think i'm getting this one for either 360 or PS3 :)

Getting the demos now.

PS3:..6%...12%....23%............78%.........91%
360: 2%..8%..12%............68%.......83%............100%

The 360 pulled ahead after a slow start, who will win?

Edit: I guess DLing from UK account might not help?

Anyhow played the demos, they look and play the same. Feels as floaty as the first game and it doesn't look any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the demo on the PS3, both with the controller and the DF Pro wheel. Short summary: it's only marginally better than the original Dirt when it comes to the driving model. I put everything on the hardest and most realistic levels. Yes, you can slide more, drift slightly better and spin out slightly more easily. But it's not a huge improvement - I would say that the driving model is back to what it was for CMR4 on PC.

Although the Presentation does plenty to distract you, the graphics haven't changed all that much either. The cars are still very low-poly. The colors still look weird. There are a few nice effects, but overall the tracks are very static. Meh. It's a far cry from a game like Motorstorm 2, and in some ways that's understandable (long stretches of road to cover) but in other ways just really weird when you think about it. The tracks are very lifeless, the cars don't feel too good, the physics are boring, it's just ... not quite it.

If I had expected more, I'd be more disappointed. But right now, it's just as I expected: disappointing. ;)

well you HATED Dirt 1 so I'm not surprised. ;)

the car polys actually are said to have made a huge leap according to the dev video I saw.

Many on GAF who had similar complaints as you on the first one seem to feel this is improved in almost every way. Dl'ed (360) and about to check it out for myself. :D

well you HATED Dirt 1 so I'm not surprised. ;)

the car polys actually are said to have made a huge leap according to the dev video I saw.

Many on GAF who had similar complaints as you on the first one seem to feel this is improved in almost every way. Dl'ed (360) and about to check it out for myself. :D

I only tried the 360 version of Dirt 2, but it looked and played better than Motorstorm 2 to me. Maybe the PS3 demo of Dirt 2 is gimped, since even assurdum complains about tearing and framerate issues on it.

I only tried the 360 version of Dirt 2, but it looked and played better than Motorstorm 2 to me. Maybe the PS3 demo of Dirt 2 is gimped, since even assurdum complains about tearing and framerate issues on it.

The two versions look the same, but I'm sure someone will put them under the microscope, not that it will have anything to do with the enjoyment factor.

Played the demo its Lols...full of fun.
Car's floaty though while the Trucks are better to handle [seems odd]

The visuals though were hyped a lot than what they actually are, but it still looks nice.
HDR or fake HDR it still doesnt looks as good as Motorstorm 2's HDR but the textures are better. The reflections on Hood are high res & have a fast update rate & even reflect the cars in front of you clearly but the world is mostly static.

Overall its shaping up to be a good looking, Fun to play Racing game

The handling is slightly improved over Dirt 1 but nothing to be excited about.

The menu presentation is slick but I can see it getting more in the way after the novelty wears off. By the time you pick everything and go through the menu's, it takes some time to get a race going.

The HDR/Bloom is not as bad as the first game but still over done. Driving the car in the hood cam was very annoying due to the excessive bloom.

The handling still needs a lot of work. Cars feel floaty and not connected to the road. That's the biggest weakness of the game for me.

The damage/destruction is fun to see.

I can see the fans of Dirt 1 picking this up as it's certainly an improvement but I'm not sure how many new people they'll pick up. I'm out.

Well I posted my complaints, and neither the framerate nor the tearing were among those. None of that on my screen. I can try the 360 version, but I've done so before with GRID, and the original Dirt, and the games were basically a wash on both systems back then so I'm not expecting much difference this time.

EDIT: the PS3 does seem to have more tearing though. Framerate is about the same, but a fair bit more tearing. I didn't see any of that though, maybe it's my tv.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1324311&postcount=471

Back