Dirt 2

In particular, one hopes there'll be use of Xenos' tessellator to do the same on XB360. And one wonders why a SPU can't be given that role also.

Tesselation could have different detail level implementations or scope.A more liimited use on PS3 Cell. 360/PS3 could use it for say only road or water and perhaps Xenon some on mountains/sidetrack as Cell is probably going to do other graphic related tasks to compensate for RSX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not getting my hopes up too high for tessellation in the early days. That's something you need to build your art pipeline around and who's going to do that for practically non-existent DX11 hardware. In the short term I'm hoping for an option for much higher resolution textures - that should be an easy win.

Any talk of DX11 features needs to be made in relation to the console implementations of this game. Otherwise that talk belongs in a Dirt 2 thread in the PC Forum.

In particular, one hopes there'll be use of Xenos' tessellator to do the same on XB360. And one wonders why a SPU can't be given that role also.

IIRC DX11 specs out 3 versions or "flavors" of tessellation, which would the 360 be most like or would it use its own version? I'd assume Microsoft would have one that was similar to its own product.

As to a spu tessellator, it would seem you could still run into BW problems but you might run it in conjunction with a spu occluder/culler. As I've heard nothing on this subject it'd make an interesting discussion.

IIRC DX11 specs out 3 versions or "flavors" of tessellation, which would the 360 be most like or would it use its own version? I'd assume Microsoft would have one that was similar to its own product.

As to a spu tessellator, it would seem you could still run into BW problems but you might run it in conjunction with a spu occluder/culler. As I've heard nothing on this subject it'd make an interesting discussion.
Actually it would be interesting to have Joker454's return on the matter. He stated in "I don't remember which" thread that he implemented it pretty succefully on ps3. On the other hand he was the reason why the "FKATCT" thread existed. I'm not sure that the problem (if any) would be bandwidth but instead the problem he was pointing out back in time. Waiting for his return :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirt 1 was ridiculous, it had pretty graphics but was total rubbish.

The fastest way to take a corner was holding down the brake while giving full throttle.

Dirt 1 was ridiculous, it had pretty graphics but was total rubbish.

The fastest way to take a corner was holding down the brake while giving full throttle.

In dirt 1 you don't need to made a "left foot" just stop accelerating and turn, no need of brake, handbrake, or "left food" so no fun! ;)
And "left food" got a really bad realisation in Dirt 1…

Impressive. Although I'm not sure why they think that must be from a PC version? There was some horrendous aliasing. As well the shadows/reflections on the back of that white rally car were off. Something was horribly wrong with it.

Regards,
SB

Meh. If I look at the driving physics, it seems below even Gran Turismo 3. :rolleyes: And the graphics don't even look that much better either. All the detail has been put in some pretty meaningless environmental detail rather than the cars, which must have a very limited amount of polys.

Looks like this is going to be another pass for me. Considering how good the physics are, comparatively speaking, in Motorstorm, I'd actually like those guys to do a WRC game again, using the Motorstorm engine. That would probably end up being spectacularly good!

Meh. If I look at the driving physics, it seems below even Gran Turismo 3. :rolleyes: And the graphics don't even look that much better either. All the detail has been put in some pretty meaningless environmental detail rather than the cars, which must have a very limited amount of polys.

I think you need to replay GT3, looks like DIRT1 on lowest settings..

Otherwise I think the cars "polygon strength" is mostly in the deformation and DX11 version should probably sport large amounts.

http://www.psu.com/DiRT-2-E3-09-Interview--a007513-p1.php0
Horsman: This is our third racing title on the current consoles, because we did DiRT 1, then we did Grid, and now we're doing DiRT 2, so basically the whole engine has been evolving and improving. For example, in DiRT 2 we have a deferred lighting system, which means on the tracks that are set in night we're going to have up to 100 light sources of all different colors. On Grid, we had just one -- the sun, and that was it. We've got visual enhancements everywhere now, really; we've got reflection maps on the bonnet, the fidelity of the tracks is double what we had in Grid, the cars models have twice as many poly[gon]s now, so when you accidentally have a crash the damage deformation is even more accurate....

The dirt, gravel and water effects as they are thrown up are pretty darn nice. The dust and dirt thrown up are particularly realistic compared to other games I've seen.

Impressive.

Nice to hear they are working on the actual physical drag standing pools of water have on a car as they run through it. Granted it's been years since I've played a racing game, but that was one of the things that used to bother me back in the day.

[Edit] Just watched the Utal Trailblazers one. Ok, the dirt thrown up looks far less realistic from a distance. The world environment is quite detailed and impressive though. And mud on the windshield, love it. :D

Regards,
SB

I think you need to replay GT3, looks like DIRT1 on lowest settings..

Well that Utah video gives me a little bit more hope - the driving physics look better in that at least and it looks closer to GT4 than GT3, which is good, because for me, GT4 remains reference material. The graphics I feel are still a little sparse, but let's assume we have long rally tracks and there just isn't that much detail in there.

Still (and this is old video, the game actually has full widescreen support, making it look even more recent), this is what a game needs to match or beat for me (particularly this track and car combination I've loved to play for hours upon hours):

Otherwise I think the cars "polygon strength" is mostly in the deformation and DX11 version should probably sport large amounts.

http://www.psu.com/DiRT-2-E3-09-Interview--a007513-p1.php0

DX11 isn't going to help me though - it's unlikely I'll play anything other than 360 or PS3 version in the near future.

Anyway, I read that they've moved to a fully deffered rendering system so that they can support hundreds of lights in the night stages. Would be great to hear more about that, as apparently this should benefit the PS3 version a lot more than the 360 version? (if it's still the case that it's harder to do deferred on 360).

Back