Dirt 2

Tap In

Legend
with the crashing and burning of FUEL, this is now the next off road racer with potential

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dirt-2-hd-video-analysis-article
In short, we're confident that this is going to be a technically excellent game. Codemasters produced often stunning visuals in its last racing game, GRID, and this new title uses an even more advanced iteration of the same EGO engine, featuring improved multi-threading for superior performance and an enhanced streaming system allowing for higher quality textures. We are clearly seeing a generational leap over the first DiRT, and in terms of raw detail levels, the firm has already confirmed that just the cars are seeing a 50 per cent polygon count increase from the debut DiRT offering.
In terms of differences we might expect from the video showcased here, we know that GRID on Xbox 360 ran at 720p with 4x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (literally the best the machine is capable of), so we're going to go out on a limb here and suggest the same level of visual fidelity in the 360 code. Codemasters is also promising a considerable improvement in SPU usage on PS3, so fingers crossed that the disappointing v-sync tearing and reduced AA on GRID will be sorted for this new game.

Who needs to render 720p with that amount of blur. :p ;) Looks great. Spiritual successor to Rallisport Challenge series? : D

haha Ouch! Dirt 1 was crap. Ridiculous amount of blur and about the worst handling in a video game in a long time, along with instant braking. We'll see how much they say and how much they actually change in Dirt 2.

To each their own. . .Dirt is arguably my favourite racing game for the PS3 so far. I think it nails the same fun factor of the WRC game for the PS2 and I find the long rally races especially a blast. And considering its an early PS3 game, it looks pretty decent (especially with my LCD projector).

I'm still desperately waiting for a TDU clone for the PS3 though. . .

Cheers

I played DiRT 2 PC in a D-Box motion seat with a G25 wheel. I can't say how it controls with a regular controller, but it wasn't all central-pivoty in this setup. It was an absolute blast!

haha Ouch! Dirt 1 was crap. Ridiculous amount of blur and about the worst handling in a video game in a long time, along with instant braking. We'll see how much they say and how much they actually change in Dirt 2.

:cry: I like Dirt a lot. Though I'm admittedly not much of a connoisseur of racing games... i.e. I suck horribly at them. Dirt made me feel special because I could beat it on the hardest difficulty :smile:

I thought it was a great looking game too at 1440x900 with 16xCSAA :D. The blur must've been toned way down in the PC version because I hardly noticed it and when I did I thought it actually looked fitting...

I hope Dirt 2 is good. Dirt 1 was badly optimised on PC and it looked crappy with that hazy bloomish blur look. Grid was another story, amazing looking with clean edges in high res and super silky at some insane beyond 60fps framerate.

I agree with you completely (which doesn't happen that often :D).

Oops ...

I figured Microsoft was using a d-box motion sim (everybody else seemed to be using it), so when SimRacing's E3 interview with FANATEC rep Thomas Jackermeier moved from their steering wheel to an upcoming RennSport Cockpit, a setup that is to be built upon the motion sim at Microsoft's booth, I figured d-box was price-gouger, since FANATEC's cockpit merely adds cosmetic touches, like an authentic racing seat.

But as it turns out, Force Dynamics had the honors. :cool:

Say what, DiRT 2 to have DX11 support!? :oops:

read more at link.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64000

“...While the console editions of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will retain their September ship date, we believe that the DirectX 11 feature set is too compelling to ignore, especially considering how much more it can add to the visual experience for PC gamers,” said Bryan Marshall, chief technical officer, Codemasters. “As a leader in digital racing entertainment, we are staying ahead of the pack by immediately taking advantage of key new technologies such as hardware tessellation, multi-threading and Shader Model 5.0 to deliver the most realistic, immersive and exhilarating racing experiences in the business. The fusion of DirectX 11 with Codemasters’ EGO™ Engine will raise the technical bar considerably in the racing genre."

...Codemasters intends to immediately take advantage of DirectX 11 features that add to the realism of the racing environment. Hardware tessellation will further improve the appearance of water and other surfaces as well as crowd animations...

...The shader performance of Shader Model 5.0 (SM 5.0) will aid in creating an even richer 3D experience, enhancing key image quality parameters such as depth of field, ambient occlusion and shadows...

It's a shame MS couldn't have gotten tesselation into Dx10/10.1 that would certainly have made it visually distinguishable from Dx9.0 other than proper AA support in deferred renderers.

Regards,
SB

Any talk of DX11 features needs to be made in relation to the console implementations of this game. Otherwise that talk belongs in a Dirt 2 thread in the PC Forum.

In particular, one hopes there'll be use of Xenos' tessellator to do the same on XB360. And one wonders why a SPU can't be given that role also.

Back