Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I misread his post, my mistake; But I still think ISS unlocked framerate was a silly decision.

There's an option to lock the framerate at 30 and personally I kinda prefer it unlocked. The game runs above 30fps a lot of the time and I like the speed in those moments. It never affects combat.

There's an option to lock the framerate at 30 and personally I kinda prefer it unlocked. The game runs above 30fps a lot of the time and I like the speed in those moments. It never affects combat.

I don't know about ISS, but a lot of the "I'd have liked a locked 30fps" for tomb raider was unwarranted (granted, let them put that as an option) as the game seems to be well above 50fps majority of the time, it would have been a waste to discard those extra frames. Most analysis rightfully chooses the most demanding scenes to display performance dips, but that's not representative of the entire game.

I hope new hdmi specs include a interactively variable refresh rate tho, and that current consoles can be patched.

I am revisiting Watch_dogs DF article and found 2 small errors:

On the 1/8 image of the comparison tool: DF missed the difference of DOF precision between PS4 and XB1:

In this shot, you'll note that the PC version on ultra settings gets a more precise depth-of-field effect.

DF missed that in this screenshot we clearly see that PS4 too gets a better precise DOF than XB1. I suppose the DOF difference is consistent also during gameplay (when you aim to shoot the background is DOFed).

DOF precision: PC > PS4 > XB1

On the 5/8 image (the boat) they have clearly (judging by the more visible aliasing on XB1 pic) inverted PS4 and XB1 screenshots! It's funny because the XB1 is the only one of the 3 boats to be green and they still inverted the pictures! :LOL:

Will need new TVs all round though.

Indeed, and I'd be willing to buy them :) I don't know if this needs a two-way communication (maybe just sending the previous frame time inside the current frame could be enough) but TV's already have circuitry to "talk" through HDMI (for auto lip-sync, audio return channel etc.) and they can already have multiple refresh rates (24, 50, 60) which leads me to think the newer sets would not need much in the way of extra hardware (which should alleviate the extra cost problem). But of course this is another discussion.

Indeed, and I'd be willing to buy them :) I don't know if this needs a two-way communication (maybe just sending the previous frame time inside the current frame could be enough) but TV's already have circuitry to "talk" through HDMI (for auto lip-sync, audio return channel etc.) and they can already have multiple refresh rates (24, 50, 60) which leads me to think the newer sets would not need much in the way of extra hardware (which should alleviate the extra cost problem). But of course this is another discussion.

The way I understand it, newer monitors compatible with Nvidia's new-whatever-they-called-it just wait for the frame to come out and then display it whenever that might be; no two way communication is needed really. But of course I'm usually wrong with these things.

Tech Analysis: Sunset Overdrive at E3 2014

Digital Foundry on the Sunset Overdrive as was seen at E3.

They came away impressed despite:
  • there's some evidence to suggest that the 'live' demo is being mimed to canned footage - a trick often used at E3 to avoid embarrassing technical hiccups.
  • At its worst is a drop to 22fps during a combination of all these stress points
  • Sunset Overdrive also employs a very light adaptive v-sync, allowing the screen to very subtly tear within the top 10 per cent of the screen
Obviously it's in its final few months of development, much of which is polishing and optimisation. The words "technical issues" and "Insomniac Games" do not go together in the same sentence based on my experience of their PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 games.

Digital Foundry on the Sunset Overdrive as was seen at E3.

They came away impressed despite:
  • there's some evidence to suggest that the 'live' demo is being mimed to canned footage - a trick often used at E3 to avoid embarrassing technical hiccups.
  • At its worst is a drop to 22fps during a combination of all these stress points
  • Sunset Overdrive also employs a very light adaptive v-sync, allowing the screen to very subtly tear within the top 10 per cent of the screen
Obviously it's in its final few months of development, much of which is polishing and optimisation. The words "technical issues" and "Insomniac Games" do not go together in the same sentence based on my experience of their PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 games.

It definitely had some frame rate issues at e3, and they were doing the old Uncharted trick of blurring the whole screen during large pans to mask some performance issues. But they have enough time to to sort it out as overall it wasn't running too bad considering the utter chaos that ensues to make an e3 build.

It definitely had some frame rate issues at e3, and they were doing the old Uncharted trick of blurring the whole screen during large pans to mask some performance issues. But they have enough time to to sort it out as overall it wasn't running too bad considering the utter chaos that ensues to make an e3 build.
Yup. The interview also mentioned Insomniac won't be using the Kinect resource release to go 1080p so that'll help with zero effort. I expect a technically accomplished game at launch. Zero doubts.

Yup. The interview also mentioned Insomniac won't be using the Kinect resource release to go 1080p so that'll help with zero effort. I expect a technically accomplished game at launch. Zero doubts.

Thought Sunset Overdrive is running at 30fps, meaning that one can't possibly have smooth quick pans w/o heavy motion blur.

I really dont see the point of doing a technical analysis of an unfinished game.

Why not?

Gamer’s judge pictures and videos (days, weeks, months and years) before games are released. Having a technical view of early work is welcomed, IMHO.

Why not?

Gamer’s judge pictures and videos (days, weeks, months and years) before games are released. Having a technical view of early work is welcomed, IMHO.

Because its not a finished product and it might give the wrong impression, such as the game has a bad frame rate when it might not have when done.

I know I would be pissed if someone commented on my work before it was done.

Because its not a finished product and it might give the wrong impression, such as the game has a bad frame rate when it might not have when done.

I prefer to see these as a way to gain insight into what happens in the dev process over time. There have been several games that got the DF first look treatment that have come out with all or most of the issues fixed, there are some that showed no improvement but that's good info too.

It's not like DF are reviewing leaked or stolen code, these are assets put out there by the publisher to promote the game. If DF or any other site decides to analyse them then that's fair as the footage has been provided with the express purpose of building excitement and driving purchasing decisions (pre-orders in SSOD's case).

I'm sure it is frustrating for creative people to have defend uncompleted work but that's something everyone has to deal with including me in my (at times) profoundly uncreative job. I honestly don't think there's anything negative in the article anyway they note the framerate drops but then point out that Insomniac had yet to use the Kinect reserve which may sort the issue all on it's own.

Having someone comment on your work before it's done is pretty much the most common thing ever in creative lines of work. People judge movies by their trailers, and whoever does anything for the movie (or game) has his work reviewed pretty much 24/7 before it's being green-lit too.

They have a choice whether (and what) to show. If the chose to show, and let Digital Foundry actually capture footage for technical analysis,when they know they currently have framerate dips and some screen tearing, then they are OK with this.

They have a choice whether (and what) to show. If the chose to show, and let Digital Foundry actually capture footage for technical analysis,when they know they currently have framerate dips and some screen tearing, then they are OK with this.

Maybe Insomniac did a deeply flawed review/sales analysis and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if you have frame rate dips or tearing when it comes to review scores (and sales)?

Maybe Insomniac did a deeply flawed review/sales analysis and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if you have frame rate dips or tearing when it comes to review scores (and sales)?
I'd like to think that they took the view that haters will hate and that many gamers, the one who bother to read articles like DF, will understand that early reveals are are long way from final release and games go through a lot of optimisation in the last few months.

But I'm an optimist ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back