Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering why the game runs at 900p on xbox one?
It'd fill the ESRAM with no room for anything else! ESRAM needs to be used as working space as well. 900p would use 22 MB, leaving 10 MB for other data if it's stored complete in ESRAM.

Any idea what kind of frame rate we're looking at there? The consoles are landing in at around 25, so it would be interesting to know what kind of fps is causing these kinds of results. Does seem to scale pretty well with no of cores, which is cool.

PC version could be using higher quality effects too, e.g. particles.

Edit: GTX 980, so probably 100fps or something ungodly like that!

Looks like it might actually be a 980SLI. Assuming the test is comparable to the CPU scaling test then you're looking at 69fps average on the the FX4300 and 81fps on the FX8350.

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/lords-of-the-fallen-test-gpu.html

I'd like to now if there's an input latency hit on the dynamic resolution. If they are scaling the res with no penalties, you have to wonder why not do that on every platform? But given resolution and framerate are locked in MP, I'm guessing there's an extra bit of lag in the single player to support dynamic res, which they didn't want to include in the MP experience (which would be ironic given net latencies!).

I'd like to now if there's an input latency hit on the dynamic resolution. If they are scaling the res with no penalties, you have to wonder why not do that on every platform? But given resolution and framerate are locked in MP, I'm guessing there's an extra bit of lag in the single player to support dynamic res, which they didn't want to include in the MP experience (which would be ironic given net latencies!).

There might be a small hit but that hit has got to be less than losing frames right?

I think the reason it exists in SP is because the dynamic resolution isn't fully dynamic they were able to pinpoint where and when frames were going to be loss. In multiplayer they don't have such control so maybe they removed it all together?

Or

Option 2
It was a choice made because they wanted to remove any possibility of variation in competitive multiplayer. Which I agree with. You don't want anything to change in that environment. Otherwise players are likely to blame the game than themselves for not being successful.

The only concession on Microsoft's platform, besides its variable resolution, is the use of adaptive v-sync. In practice, this causes frames to tear during spikes in concurrent alpha effects, or scenes involving multiple allies on-screen. While very rare, this helps the platform avoid any delay in getting the next frame on screen, in cases where the hardware's resources are unexpectedly pressed. By comparison, the PS4's approach is to engage v-sync permanently, waiting until the next frame is rendered in its entirety, causing a touch more stutter.

I think adaptive v-sync is allowing more breathing room than engaged v-sync. Why not allow PS4 users the option of which v-sync to choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really odd choices for PS4. Why wouldn't they put adaptive v-sync and dynamic resolution in it? Assuming it has headroom, it probably wouldn't drop resolution anyway, and v-sync would help it stay at pretty much 60Hz. Seems odd. The way it is, I'd probably want to play campaign on X1 and multiplayer on PS4. My guess is they'll have some kind of a patch to improve framerate on PS4, probably by changing v-sync.

Really odd choices for PS4. Why wouldn't they put adaptive v-sync and dynamic resolution in it?.

It's like they had different priorities for each platform, 60fps on Xbox One and 1080p on PlayStation 4. Weird.

I'm guessing there's an extra bit of lag in the single player to support dynamic res, which they didn't want to include in the MP experience (which would be ironic given net latencies!).

You are much more tech savvy then I am, but I need to add that fighting with local latency is a different ball game than net latency. The user can see instant reactions from his own input locally (aiming, shooting) which is just fine, and how latent or early those actions are met in the net-side is a different aspect. So fighting local latency has instant benefits whether you are online or not.

It's like they had different priorities for each platform, 60fps on Xbox One and 1080p on PlayStation 4. Weird.

I think the results are because they considered the performance on PS4 sufficient earlier on, and then spent more time solving the performance issues on the Xbox. They did a good job with that, and got that finished just in time, but not in time to then consider taking that back into the PS4 version. May still happen at some point though.

I've updated the results in techingames.net btw.

I'd almost ask instead: why not do that in every game ever that you're not 100% certain can keep 60fps? Who knows we'll find out. ;)

Advanced Warfare on Xbone feels like it has dynamic resolution so that it can go up to 1080P when there is nothing on screen rather than dropping from 1080P when there is a lot on screen so as to save framerate.

Advanced Warfare on Xbone feels like it has dynamic resolution so that it can go up to 1080P when there is nothing on screen rather than dropping from 1080P when there is a lot on screen so as to save framerate.

The article says that anytime you are in combat it basically appears drops down to the lowest dynamic resolution - but they want to do some additional measurements to rule-out if it doesn't use intermediate resolutions some or a lot of the time.

The more interesting question is whether they're going to add dynamic resolution to the PS4 version. User impressions didn't seem to mention frame rate issues so maybe it won't be necessary.

The more interesting question is whether they're going to add dynamic resolution to the PS4 version. User impressions didn't seem to mention frame rate issues so maybe it won't be necessary.

And risk accusations of p p p parity?

Actually, could some of the drops on ps4 could be cpu related? Latest Ubi slides showed X1 CPU being about 15% faster. Especially if you drop X1 res to fall back into esram and ease main memory contention, there could be a performance delta starting to open a little there.

XBOX WON(e)

XBOwNEd

(sorry, been waiting to use those, it was now or never)
Depends who you ask. Native 1080p with arguably small drops in sp and stable framerate in mp, vs variable res.in SP, sub 1080p mp with some tearing. Pick your poison.

I've yet to see anyone complain about fhe framerate on ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back