Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not sure in which direction compression is altering the comparison though having watched the video @ 720P I still see a significant difference between both versions.

Now I don't think that it is reasonable or actually doable to use percentages on the matter to quantify the difference.

50% more pixels, 1% better graphics?

I missed DF's six-platform comparison, so thanks! Out of interest, how did you conclude 1% ? DF seems to disagree with you, though. Their summary is:
Digital Foundry - Next-Gen Face-Off: Assassin's Creed 4 said:
With the next generation consoles we have the level of stability required to let the gameplay breathe without hardware limitations getting in the way. This is perfectly demonstrated on the PS4 after the release day patch has been installed: 1080p visuals allow the intricate artwork to shine, while the rock solid 30fps update means that control is never disrupted outside of the game's somewhat erratic animation blending system and automated climbing mechanics. The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look.

Lower resolution, sharpening filter, frame drops. 1%? :???: What would have to give for the PS4 version to be 2% better?

Definitely 1%, even though I think the metric is not relevant, implies a difference in the range of "epsilon" imho the difference is noticeable so it can't qualify as an epsilon, no matter the metrics.

I watched the WiiU vs PC comparison (worst vs best) adn it really gets to the point where I can see the difference but couldnt care less about it.
Hope some exclusives will sway me around, but I definitely would prefer a stable and higher frame-rate than the IQ differences.

Watching videos is going to give you very little real world difference. I played the PS4 version pre and post patch and it was big. We spent many years and many pages discussing difference that were much smaller.

I agree it's actually a significant difference. Native res is really noticeable, and the AA solution is also much better.

That's what I thought. They did say they would but maybe in the last minute they changed their mind when framerate drops would occur.

But I am impressed with the AA on the PS4. Really similar to the 4xMSAA on the PC, surely a derivative of MLAA or SMAA (morphological). And the PS4 has even a sharper look than the PC. Maybe they added some blur on PC.

Here some comparison of the ropes of one ship.

ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG

The PC has at least 10 different AA modes, which is the above shot comparing too? You can choose pretty much any image quality settings you want on the PC from below the PS4 (FXAA) to way above the PS4 (CSAA 32x). TXAA 4x which in my opinion is the best looking option does soften the image a little but it's less of a blur and more of a CGI effect.

I've done extensive testing on the different AA modes available on the PC and from the DF video of the PC version I can safely say the PS4 version equates very closely to SMAA (number 2 on the 10 rung PC scale). It's certainly not as effective as 4x MSAA which presents a much less aliased image and gives no blurring effect whatsoever. You can take that even further with 8x MSAA or the CSAA modes.

However I expect the screenshot above is using TXAA which would explain the softer look but I can assure you results in a far superior image (especially in motion) to the PS4 IQ. For example, check out the DF video on the previous page at time stamp 6:15. See the ship in the top left? See the horrible aliasing on it's rigging? That would be completely gone with 4xTXAA, as would the shimmering on the rigging in the scene about 20 seconds later.

Both Ryse and KZSF still have a ton of specular aliasing. It seems to be one of the most difficult things for graphics programmers to find a good solution to.

It's also the bane of PC games, so not limited to consoles.

I'm just glad to see at least edge AA getting decent attention in some games this generation. There were a few that had it last generation, but they weren't generally in graphically demanding games.

Regards,
SB

Yeah it's very tough problem to solve completely without resorting to extreme levels of supersampling. I'm sure what we do (adjusting the specular term based on the normal map) will be very common, IIRC Killzone already does something similar but with a different formulation than what we use. However doing this won't fix everything, since there's other causes for specular aliasing (like undersampling geometry, or generating normals procedurally).

The PC has at least 10 different AA modes, which is the above shot comparing too? You can choose pretty much any image quality settings you want on the PC from below the PS4 (FXAA) to way above the PS4 (CSAA 32x). TXAA 4x which in my opinion is the best looking option does soften the image a little but it's less of a blur and more of a CGI effect.

I've done extensive testing on the different AA modes available on the PC and from the DF video of the PC version I can safely say the PS4 version equates very closely to SMAA (number 2 on the 10 rung PC scale). It's certainly not as effective as 4x MSAA which presents a much less aliased image and gives no blurring effect whatsoever. You can take that even further with 8x MSAA or the CSAA modes.

However I expect the screenshot above is using TXAA which would explain the softer look but I can assure you results in a far superior image (especially in motion) to the PS4 IQ. For example, check out the DF video on the previous page at time stamp 6:15. See the ship in the top left? See the horrible aliasing on it's rigging? That would be completely gone with 4xTXAA, as would the shimmering on the rigging in the scene about 20 seconds later.

Yes I am happy that someone, at last, confirms that PS4 AA is some kind of SMAA. :D

PS4 AA is fairly similar to the 4xMSAA in my opinion. PC and PS4 pics general quality are, for most people, really on the same level compared to X1 and Wii U you can't deny it.

In fact I read somewhere that the PC version, has indeed some blur applied by default (FXAA, yes it belongs technically to the blur algorithm family, no joke or prove me it doesn't!) which is why on some pics PS4 version seems a tad sharper. PS4 has no FXAA applied for once (at last!).
I am not sure if it is possible to deactivate the FXAA on the PC...

The compressed video comparisons are not helpful to fairly judge games in motion:I don't watch them anymore since the X1 sharpen effect fallacy early videos.

Purchased AC4 an hour ago for the PS4... it looks damn good after the patch. I can't say it's totally next generation, more of a nice step in the right direction. The XB1 version seems very muddy at times, flooded with aliasing issues everywhere... even the draw-distance seems smeared. Honestly, putting the XB1 in standard 720p mode (the hardware) and running on a 42in LCD does produce a better picture with AC4, even Ryse. My brother-in-law uses this setup in his bedroom TV, because the larger 60in in the living room just makes things look slightly worst, especially the aliasing issue.

Anyhow, his bedroom setup does tighten things up graphically with his XB1, reducing some of aliasing, not all, but enough to enjoy it more.

FYI: In the weeks to come, probably starting next week... I will start posting pictures of both PS4 and XB1 off my 70in Sony and 55in Samsung LEDs.

PS4 AA is fairly similar to the 4xMSAA in my opinion. PC and PS4 pics general quality are, for most people, really on the same level compared to X1 and Wii U you can't deny it.

I can't deny it? Have you actually played the PC version with 4x MSAA applied? I have. And I've done a direct comparison with all the other AA modes of which the closest match based on the DF video's to the PS4 image is SMAA. 4x MSAA delivers superior AA full stop. And it's no4 on the list of 10 modes on the PC (going up in quality).

In fact I read somewhere that the PC version, has indeed some blur applied by default (FXAA, yes it belongs technically to the blur algorithm family, no joke or prove me it doesn't!)

I don't need to prove that it doesn't, it's patently wrong. The PC version has an AA options menu, FXAA is one of those options and can be turned on or off at will. If you continue to argue the contrary I will post a screenshot from my own copy of the game but I'd rather not waste my time. Perhaps you should just go check out one of the many YouTube videos that show the PC settings being selected.

which is why on some pics PS4 version seems a tad sharper. PS4 has no FXAA applied for once (at last!).

No. Because the PC version doesn't have forced FXAA. What you are most likely looking at is TXAA which is a FAR superior AA solution to whatever the PS4 is using.

I am not sure if it is possible to deactivate the FXAA on the PC...

Well now you can be because I'm telling you that it is. It's a fact.

The compressed video comparisons are not helpful to fairly judge games in motion:I don't watch them anymore since the X1 sharpen effect fallacy early videos.

They're more than adequate to see both aliasing and shimmering. The considerably worse aliasing and shimmering of the XBO version (compared to the PS4) is also apparent in the same video I'm referring too. Or are you saying that's not real either?

I am not sure if I can agree which TXAA being far superior, not interms of IQ, every game I play that support it looks so much blurrier than every other AA. I actually use SMAA right now for AC4 on PC, best performance, sharpness and quality overall IMO. But I only have a 670 OC, it can only do so much.

Yeah that's just my opinion, I know a lot of people feel the same way as you because of the image softening that's inherent to TXAA. NV claims they were trying to implement a more cinematic image, i.e. more film like than computer graphics like with TXAA and I personally think they hit the nail on the head, graphics seem more hand drawn than computer rendered to me. However I can see how some people would just see the reduction is sharpness as blur.

One thing that's not in doubt though is in terns of aliasing reduction, TXAA 4x is right up there with MSAA 8x, i.e. well above SMAA. I do agree with you though that SMAA offers the best image quality/performance, that's probably why PS4's using it or something very similar.

PS4 AA is fairly similar to the 4xMSAA in my opinion.
Power cables are all broken on PS4. It lacks subsample detail which makes a huge difference on fine objects, and was extremely obvious in the DF comparison pictures. Edge quality may be comparable (haven't seen it in motion) but PS4's AA isn't really similar to 4xMSAA in overall quality where the AA matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back