Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean sub-1080p, right? I think it still looks pretty sharp. 720p is still HD, and it doesn't look 720p. But, yeah, post-processing tends to be lower res, as do a lot of other effects that will affect image quality.

Yes I meant sub-1080p. Though in the case of CA It's not that the effect is done in lower res,rather it's intended to blur the screen (and mess up the colors).

Shame it took so long to get out there, but still interesting. Nice comment that relates to Mantle, too:

" OpenGL ARB don't update these standards, developers will be limited to what they have. We see that OpenGL is gaining traction, but DX11 has received very little update and traction on PC. I think DX11's use has been boosted only by the appearance of next-gen consoles. So we all want, essentially, is a unified architecture for PC and console gaming, coupled with unified development tools, or, even better, access below abstraction layers in a unified way."

Cevat Yerli: ...."So 30fps was our choice, and we believe that most developers will go for richer worlds at 30 frames per second rather than 60fps - which would call for compromises, as 60fps demands twice the amount of compute rendering speed. 30fps is a standard that is above, for example, what most cinemas use for showing films. Early demos with higher frame-rate experiences have shown that gamers and viewers have a mixed opinion about its perceived quality - for example, how 48fps cinema experiences were received. So it's both a production design choice as well as user research."

Maybe they should limit the frame rate on PCs as well? This has to be one of the most idiotic comparisons ever.

How's that a stupid comparison. Considering the cinematic angle that Ryse has (and most games nowadays) it's perfectly logical to use cinema as an example.

It'd also be logical to go with 24 FPS. Why mention cinema goers not liking 48 FPS and then say you're rendering higher than most films? That's failing to pick either target.

In truth, Ryse is 30 fps because games have always been locked to the TV refresh and that's 60 or 30, and 60 was too much for this game, as it is many. So they went with 30, like most games do. Nothing fancy about it. No need to make dubious connections with movies and the like when they clearly haven't influenced the decision.

Long story short, I guess he's saying devs will choose resolutions that allow them to hit performance targets (no duh) and this doesn't have anything to do with how powerful a system is (wrong).

Your wrong is wrong imo.

Because, dev tools seem not to be fully developed atm. Furtermore, devs have to learn the new architecture. Furthermore, devs have to adjust their game design (not only engines) to the available specs to use full potential. Furthermore, launch means extreme time pressure. Furthermore, no finally hardware until February. And so on...

All this means. Time is needed until the dust is settled. After this, we can look at the games and investigate their tec (or compare) to find out the real life difference in power.

Same also applied to this gen...just remember the first PS3 multiplats...

The key part in that statement is that they have similar capabilities. Not performance, but capabilities. I read that as Carmack acknowledging that the differences in power between the two are negligible when considering cross-platform development.
So, logically...
The consoles have similar A. A != B. So the consoles effectively have similar B.

o_O?

Long story short, I guess he's saying devs will choose resolutions that allow them to hit performance targets (no duh) and this doesn't have anything to do with how powerful a system is (wrong).
You know resolution is not the only variable right?

Cevat Yerli: ...."So 30fps was our choice, and we believe that most developers will go for richer worlds at 30 frames per second rather than 60fps - which would call for compromises, as 60fps demands twice the amount of compute rendering speed. 30fps is a standard that is above, for example, what most cinemas use for showing films. Early demos with higher frame-rate experiences have shown that gamers and viewers have a mixed opinion about its perceived quality - for example, how 48fps cinema experiences were received. So it's both a production design choice as well as user research."

Maybe they should limit the frame rate on PCs as well? This has to be one of the most idiotic comparisons ever.

I think what he means is if he had unlimited hardware power he'd still choose 30fps and add a bunch more fidelity due to the nature of the game. In film there really is no hardware limit and the jury is still out on 48fps movies.

I think what he means is if he had unlimited hardware power he'd still choose 30fps and add a bunch more fidelity due to the nature of the game. In film there really is no hardware limit and the jury is still out on 48fps movies.

Movies aren't interactive. All else being equal - which in the case of games, of course, it won't be due to the fact that there are hardware limitations - a higher framerate is always better.

It's one of those articles that everyone should read even though it really does just state stuff that you'd think would be common sense by now. Heck I've been posting much of that since 2005, mostly to little effect though. That's because unfortunately people for whatever reason can't understand the concept of the whole being bigger than the sum of the parts and instead will fixate on one spec and run with that, no matter how irrelevant it may be to the bigger picture. They can understand it with cars where they realize that a big horsepower car from the 60's will get out lapped by a modern lower horsepower car because the former can't turn or stop, but when it comes to game consoles they just can't make the leap past individual specs. Alas it means that articles like the above will have little to no effect on anyone's thoughts or opinions on the matter, even though you'd think by now that most people would have figured it out. It's a noble attempt by the dude writing the article, but most likely a wasted effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back