Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the real reason why Sigma 2 didn't have blood splatter and limbs flying around was because of the PEGI 16/CERO D rating which was in contrast to PEGI 18/CERO Z rating that NG 2 had. Cause I remember someone here mentioning that the Blue haze replacing the blood and limbs were just as bandwidth heavy, if not more.

The blue haze was pretty sparse compared to all the shit flying around, plus Sigma was rendering at a higher res anyway. The lower res buffers for all the alpha would help though.

The blue haze was pretty sparse compared to all the shit flying around, plus Sigma was rendering at a higher res anyway. The lower res buffers for all the alpha would help though.

Thought MazingerDUDE said Sigma 2 used full res alpha.

Don't recall that. Just going by what the new article said though.

edit:
hm... looking at the old comparison galleries, it does look like there are no edge artefacts.

Blood spatter on the ground and everywhere does count as extra vertex cost too mind you (decals). Reducing the number of enemies as drastically as they did was the main trade-off/concern, but we're re-treading old arguments. ಠ_ಠ

Thought MazingerDUDE said Sigma 2 used full res alpha.

I can to confirm, I have the game. Low buffer is used more for the water reflection & distortion but for the instant fire/special effects seem pretty clear high buffer.

Looks great on the 360 and I'm sure these updates will look amazing on PC.

A bit disappointed he didn't comment on the resolution :???:

Saw the game yesterday on a friend (the game has been leaked here since last week) and the game looks and runs great - really good job from CDP considering this is their first work on the system, the development time and the 360's hardware.

But yeah it was weird seeing the DF article not mentioning the resolution...is the 672p res confirmed and if yes what's the horizontal resolution of the game? I think I'll wait for Al to shed some light into this. ;)

The only weird thing about the article was the comparison to Ubisoft's Anvil Engine. Last time I checked, TW2 wasn't exactly an enormous open-world game in which you could run and climb around at breakneck speed.

Saw the game yesterday on a friend (the game has been leaked here since last week) and the game looks and runs great - really good job from CDP considering this is their first work on the system, the development time and the 360's hardware.

But yeah it was weird seeing the DF article not mentioning the resolution...is the 672p res confirmed and if yes what's the horizontal resolution of the game? I think I'll wait for Al to shed some light into this. ;)

Cool, one of my main concerns was the frame rate after watching earlier footage.

Regardless of the resolution, the game still looks sharp thanks to the PPAA. I only wonder how aggressive it is and how much it's effecting texture clarity. I guess since there isn't another version with FXAA off, we'll never know.

The only weird thing about the article was the comparison to Ubisoft's Anvil Engine. Last time I checked, TW2 wasn't exactly an enormous open-world game in which you could run and climb around at breakneck speed.

Yeah, I didn't really get this comparison either. Maybe he thought they were comparable since both load in separate areas? Haven't played much of AC since AC2 and I'm not sure how large TW2's areas are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, one of my main concerns was the frame rate from earlier footage.

Regardless of the resolution, the game still looks sharp thanks to the PPAA. I only wonder how aggressive it is and how much it's effecting texture clarity. I guess since there isn't another version with FXAA off, we'll never know.

Besides some tearing here and there (which was surprisingly not distracting) the game's frame-rate was smooth and perfectly playable, even in some battles with a lot of characters on screen the game was running really stable...to get a better idea about me and frame-rates in games I think LoS & Crysis 2 on 360 run like crap. :p

About the IQ, the game was definitely a bit blurry and I thought that maybe an aggressive form of FXAA was the reason for this but if the sub-HD res is true that explains the not so sharp IQ I guess.

Yeah, I didn't really get this comparison either. Maybe he thought they were comparable since both load in separate areas? Haven't played much of AC since AC2 and I'm not sure how large TW2's areas are.

Not anywhere near that large is what they are. In terms of layout, TW2 is more like Kingdoms of Amalur, i.e. lots of winding and generally walled-off (either literally or by the invisible kind) pathways with frequent intersections. In terms of sheer size it's no bigger than, let's say, an Uncharted game, and just like an Uncharted game, every nook and cranny in TW2 feels meticulously hand-crafted and polished to the highest possible shine.

Don't get me wrong: it's an impressive looking game, and it isn't even particularly small. It's just nowhere near as big as AC or Skyrim.

Not anywhere near that large is what they are. In terms of layout, TW2 is more like Kingdoms of Amalur, i.e. lots of winding and generally walled-off (either literally or by the invisible kind) pathways with frequent intersections. In terms of sheer size it's no bigger than, let's say, an Uncharted game, and just like an Uncharted game, every nook and cranny in TW2 feels meticulously hand-crafted and polished to the highest possible shine.

Don't get me wrong: it's an impressive looking game, and it isn't even particularly small. It's just nowhere near as big as AC or Skyrim.

So the game is incredibly linear and closed off then? :cry:

I was simply talking about size here. Uncharted plays out a in a straght line (albeit a rather wide one from time to time), TW2's shape is more akin to a Pretzel. You can always free roam in the environments of TW2, at least on a per-chapter basis. Advancing a chapter on the other hand also means advancing the area, and there's no going when that happens.
In case you've played Jade Empire, TW2 is pretty much structured like that.

Will be interesting to see what the updated PC version will look like - should have the same lighting improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back