Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they don't assume you have the necessary hardware. It's a given that you should get the PC version if you can run the higher res: "no contest"

Yeah, I guess there's hardware target to consider, which shouldn't be most-baddass-PC-possible but something more normal, like a Steam median PC.

I guess, but even a $99 6670 can run ME3 at >30fps at 1920x1080, it's not like the bar is high anymore. If you can afford a $60 game, presumably a $99 gpu is in reach? Testing at 720p is like car mags testing a new ferarri with all winter tires just in case someone has to drive it in the snow, I dunno it makes little sense to me.

The benefits of higher resolution aren't discounted, but that's an obvious "it goes without saying" sort of deal. What they want to find out is whether the port actually does have anything significantly better, and keeping the same res, you can more easily see the actual differences made via the tweakable options instead of just relying on framebuffer resolution to fix everything.

Framerate obviously can be significantly higher, being kept at the same resolution too. ;)

Ok, but in some cases post buffers, shadow buffers, transparency, etc may also get set to a lower res if target output framebuffer is lower as well. So dropping the res could have other unintended consequences on final image quality. Dunno if that's the case on ME3 of course...

I'd argue, with Mass Effect 3, the textures are so horrible that going up from 720P to 1080P doesn't net an advantage at all. Yes sure, you'd get less aliasing and the rest that goes with it, but the assets don't scale at all. Hence, raising AA and such makes just as much sense (as long as your display/gpu upscales well).

I haven't played the game yet, but the demo, on 1080P, was quite the disappointment for such a highly awaited sequel. And yeah, my older PC with a 6870 and a Phenom II X4 does run this game easily at 60Hz (some dips here and there, but overall pretty well), and that's a CPU/GPU combo that was less than 250€, a year ago.

not so horrible at all,but no gamepad support for PC hurts much more

Agreed... it's quite sad that they essentially cut gamepad support (Bioware argued that they didn't have the time to include it, but most others can easily do that... isn't that telling us something?). I really like playing my PC games on my big screen tv and can't with this game.

But that you don't think the textures are horrible? I mean, basically all character art is notably low res and overcompressed. The enviroments come along much better, but that's probably the case, because they are much further away than cutscene character models.

Well, I am a bit ... well, I love sharp textures. Those aren't in my opinion.

The game is made for a seven years old console with 512 MB of memory.

I think it looks very good, BTW.

The game is made for a seven years old console with 512 MB of memory.

I think it looks very good, BTW.

Sure... I am not saying it looks bad. The rest is quite nice, especially the environments look quite good for a game targeting this old hardware. The only thing that I can complain about are the textures. It's just sad to see this. Bioware surely has better resolution textures as the ones provided and didn't think about using them instead of the "ugly ones" downsampled for console use.

They could as well go the Skyrim or Dragon Age 2 way and release some high res textures down the line. I would be pretty happy about that, though I pretty much doubt that.

Well... we can't have everything, can we?

Well...I think that it often looks bad! Despite playing it in 1080p, the texture resolution and resolution of some effects (and e.g. the galaxy map in normandy) is so low that it...looks bad overall!
I got a new armor helmet which had glowing eyes...they glowing eyes texture was so low res that I could see all the pixels during all the conversations...had to get rid of this armor.

Is it so much effort to offer increased texture resolution for PC gamers? Where is the problem from a production side?

PS: And yeah...no gamepad support is ultra lame!! Sitting 25 hours on a chair in front of my PC...baaaaaaaa, so old school and...lame! Gimme gamepad + couch...

I notice PS3 version has no install, but there is actually a DD version so you can run it from harddrive. Would be interesting to see a comparison.

To me the textures are OKish nothing to brag about, but the biggest offender I've seen so far was the lightning/aura alpha on the top of that tower before
Mordin died RIP
. Man when the camera zoomed in it's so low res and pixelated you can literally count the amount of tiny squares on screen. Again, nextgen consoles are long overdue as things are getting worse as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back