Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some motion blur is present there, so I think this pic best demonstrates the difference of the water in that area:

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/4/4/6/2/9/1/Resi_PS3_035.jpg.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/4/4/6/2/9/1/Resi_360_035.jpg.jpg

Everything remained identical in the Gold edition, including the glitchy QAA implementation. Though the two new episodes did run smoother.

The water is almost completely covered in those. :smile: The biggest difference I noticed in the PS3 version is the lack of reflections and that the water doesn’t look transparent.

Can anyone here give me a rundown of the technical discussion on RE5 in Japanese? I tried using google to translate but it still isn't clear enough for me pickup on everything being said.

I'm curious as to why the MT Framework engine the way it does on the PS3. Even with the mammoth installs it still has some shoddy performance that has been discussed here, not mention there's seems to no PS3 performance boost even with Capcom tweaking the engine.

I know (Super) Street Fighter IV didn't use it, and makes me wonder how MT will perform when it comes to future games (Marvel vs Capcom 3 for ex.)

There really isn't much there about the engine or platform specific stuff, just discussion of what they did with the game. Bear in mind that the installs really don't do anything for these types of games other than reducing loading times. Also, Capcom had the engine running on the 360 nearly a year earlier than the PS3, so they definitely have had more experience with the system.

Make no mistake though, the new version is a notable step up from the RE5 version. Sure, it may be dropping more frames than the 360 game, but it's still improved in that regards as well as other areas. It's hardly shoddy, but for a publisher whose games sell better globally on the PS3, it's puzzling why there isn't 100% platform parity at this point. I suppose that goes both ways since it's also puzzling why they can't get the 360 game triple buffered.. that memory excuse didn't make much sense.

MVC3 should be just fine considering that's a mere fighter. Like DMC4, it'll likely have a lot of the engine features turned off to run at 60Hz. Incidentally, DMC4 was practically identical on both systems, and had its perks on the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I have gathered.. they were at least experimenting with real-time Global Illumination (ala CryEngine 3, single bounce). Don't know if it really made it into Lost Planet 2. But the fixed 2xAA on 360 (or none on PS3) does certainly mark a change from the dynamic MSAA in prior games.

Really helpful thanks for your efforts Nebula. Sorry I was one of those asking for this kind of comparison and I'm pretty late to party.
Dunno how I missed that but sure that could be done. Maybe HL2 CM, UT3 or FC2. Though I remember I did something similar with FC2 some time ago and lower res with upscaling + higher settings came of better than higher res + medium settings. Though my monitor only allows captures to 1680x1050.

EDIT: Well used FC2 but the texture settings dont scale linearly. Anyway done is done. ~1680x1050 (game limits my res options), uscaling method bilinear. All DX9, max but different texture settings, MSAA and AF (min 2xAF as game dont allow me to turn it of nor ATI CCC).

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8762/rtst.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2156/bvc.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2884/iuye.jpg
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2609/klm.jpg

bvc DX9 1680x1050, 0xMSAA, 2xAF, low textures

klm DX9 1280x720, 0xMSAA, 2xAF, medium textures

rts DX9 1152x648 2xMSAA, 4xAF, high textures

iuy DX9 848x480 ,4xMSAA, 8xAF, ultra high textures

wws (below) DX10 1680x1050, 4xMSAA, 16xAF, ultra high textures

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2338/wwsn.jpg
Well "wws" aside the one I like the less is the klm shot (jaggies and low texture quality is really distracting to me.

This might be better comparision.

1680x1050, DX9, all medium, textures low, 2xAF, 4xMSAA.
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4920/fc2a.jpg

1280x720 upscaled, DX9 all high, textures medium, 4xAF, 4xMSAA.
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9994/fc2b.jpg

1158x648 upscaled, DX9 all high, textures high, 4xAF, 4xMSAA.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8038/fc2c.jpg

848x480 upscaled, DX10, ultra high (max everything), 8xAF, 4xMSAA.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2285/fc2d.jpg
In this set I'm more iffy. I can discard the 840*480 as it really too blurry vs the other shots. I see actually few difference between the 1280 and the 1158 shots. I'm attract by the sharpness of the 1680 shot but it's not like I find the 2 others shots despicable and my opinion may differ by watching the same scene in motion.
So it's interesting that in the first set I was ok on the super blurry 840*480 and not on the second set. It's about trade off. Actually only devs can do the proper comparisons depending on how the game looks. You did a good job imo at showing that the difference between 1280p and 1158p are pretty minimal.
Alstrong posted a link to the new Ms gamefest presentation in this presentation they speak about the pro/con about playing with resolution (now they no longer enforce 720p on studios).
They also have interesting shots in the pres I advice people to have a look too.

Just read the Crackdown 2 tech interview at DigitalFoundry! Great stuff as always, but this really surprises me:

Janq said:
Tiling can really hurt performance though because it can often nearly double vertex overhead - this hurts most during the depth pre-pass where vertex processing can actually become a bottleneck. There isn't really any good way to split the tiles either - in CD2 the worst case is when you point the camera up around 30 degrees because then lots of stuff in the distance starts to straddle the two tiles. There are many tricks you can play such as drawing the bottom tile first, or splitting the tiles vertically instead of horizontally, but in the end you can always find situations where lots of things straddle the tiles and you pay twice the cost for the vertex processing and associated overhead such as state traffic, etc.

So the argument that AA is free on Xbox360 due to EDRAM, at least for Crackdown 2, is not entirely true!!

Just read the Crackdown 2 tech interview at DigitalFoundry! Great stuff as always, but this really surprises me:

So the argument that AA is free on Xbox360 due to EDRAM, at least for Crackdown 2, is not entirely true!!

That's old hat, it never was and we have known for ages. It's only free if you use sub HD resolutions like COD does.

That's old hat, it never was and we have known for ages. It's only free if you use sub HD resolutions like COD does.

huh? there are some (prominent) opinions around this forum that even with tilling, AA is basically free! Although some stated that this is not entirely true, we did not get any numbers!

So, this is the first time we actually hear numbers of the vertex load overhead of tiling for a specific game - so for me this is not old hat!

If the vertex load doubles(!), I wonder if the Xbox360 still has the edge over the PS3 in vertex processing in such situations, for instance!?

If the vertex load doubles(!), I wonder if the Xbox360 still has the edge over the PS3 in vertex processing in such situations, for instance!?

Um... just have a look at the list for simultaneous releases at least.

So, this is the first time we actually hear numbers of the vertex load overhead of tiling for a specific game - so for me this is not old hat!

Should probably consider the sort of geometry covering the screen and where the tile boundaries are. If it takes a very small number of geometry to represent the sides of a skyscraper... (as mentioned in the interview) guess how many triangles have to go back for processing?

Um... just have a look at the list.

Sorry, but which list?
You mean the resolution list and the comparison of multiplatform games on PS3/Xbox360?
What does this have to do with my question? O do you assume that all inferior PS3 MP games are vertex processing bound?
The only game I can remember which had brutal vertex processing advantage on Xbox360 is Ninja Gaiden 2, but this game is subHD...so please enlighten me Mr Mod!

BTW, talking about vertex processing:

The SPUs help out the RSX in vertex processing to keep the pace. But if I understand it correctly, culling only reduces the load in finding non-visible vertices...this sounds like a passive help! So what do you do when even after culling, the vertex load is too high? Is it unrealistic to assume that there are situations where culling does not even help so much?

Simultaneous releases. Check my edited post.

Point is that the 360 can still have enough geometry processing leeway left even with tiling. Really depends on the game.

Of course, you don't always see 2x or 4xAA; geometry overhead is not the sole reason to avoid tiling. Perhaps they don't want to deal with issues with certain effects due to how render targets are handled. Or sometimes devs are trying to shoot for 60fps and any *unnecessary* overheads should be avoided. Simple examples... Call of Duty, Ninja Gaiden 2, Bayonetta.

As far as we know the answer is yes, particularly since MSAA seems to have the same kind of percentage wise performance penalty for every increased level (e.g. 30% worse for MSAAx2, 60% for x4). But on the other hand it is definitely possible that the combination of GWAA and SPU culling in native 720p or higher situations, the situation could well be reverse, and maybe even considerably so? Perhaps this is part of the reason of Sony's 1st party exclusives appear to outperform the 360s by such an extent.

Anyway, the Crackdown 2 DF article is a very interesting article, very open and candid look inside - I just got round to reading it yesterday evening.

We have far too few details on most games on consoles to claim one game technically superior to another. Games like GTA4 are likely more demanding than most games people claim technically superior.
People tend to think that since they think Game A looks better, it must be superior.
This forum is just as guilty as any other. Enough people think a game looks great so it automatically becomes an incredible technical achievement beyond all others in the genre.
People did the same with PS2 games last gen. People had all of these crazy poly count figures for games that they threw around as fact, and it was considered fact until Sony released performance analyzer results showing most games doing far less than previously believed.
With some incredibly talented artists working in the industry today, it's simply not possible to know for sure.

We have far too few details on most games on consoles to claim one game technically superior to another. Games like GTA4 are likely more demanding than most games people claim technically superior.
People tend to think that since they think Game A looks better, it must be superior.
This forum is just as guilty as any other. Enough people think a game looks great so it automatically becomes an incredible technical achievement beyond all others in the genre.
People did the same with PS2 games last gen. People had all of these crazy poly count figures for games that they threw around as fact, and it was considered fact until Sony released performance analyzer results showing most games doing far less than previously believed.
With some incredibly talented artists working in the industry today, it's simply not possible to know for sure.

Very nicely said.

This forum is just as guilty as any other.

I disagree ... I think this forum is at least slightly less guilty than most others. ;) It is just as easy to forget that multi-platform games are inherently limited in extracting the most out of a machine, or that open-world games reflect the state of development of today versus several years ago when all the important technical decisions have been made and have then become locked in by the art assets produced.

But all of that aside, this forum as well as the likes of Digital Foundry have managed to uncover a lot of technical details on the two platforms and if you add them all up, I think we know quite a lot ...

I disagree ... I think this forum is at least slightly less guilty than most others. ;) It is just as easy to forget that multi-platform games are inherently limited in extracting the most out of a machine, or that open-world games reflect the state of development of today versus several years ago when all the important technical decisions have been made and have then become locked in by the art assets produced.

But all of that aside, this forum as well as the likes of Digital Foundry have managed to uncover a lot of technical details on the two platforms and if you add them all up, I think we know quite a lot ...
Even better said. ;)

However you can also take it to mean that it's far more of a technical achievement to achieve graphics and performance parity in some of the better multiplatform games. COD:MW2 for example in being able to achieve not only 60 fps gameplay but also very nice visuals that are virtually identical on two very disparate systems.

In some ways that's a higher technical challenge and achievement than pushing one console (KZ2 for example). In other words, multiplatform would have a lower absolute bar of graphics quality. But achieving top graphics quality on two very different systems is a huge technical achievement in itself.

Just a different point of view. And I wouldn't say anyone claiming either title as higher technical achievement is wrong. They would be both correct depending on point of view.

Regards,
SB

I think he has an interesting underlying point that games like GTA just don't receive as much love as perhaps they should when talking overall platform achievement. Even DF has played with the Uncharted series being the most advanced on PS3 at times. I have a soft spot for GoW myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back