Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played the game in 1920x1200 from 2 feet, and the cutscenes looked really bad (overcompressed and blurry). A clear step back from the first game.

Maybe the 360 has better decompression or something. I've never really seen macroblocking or other artifacts, there really was nothing to complain about.

Maybe the 360 has better decompression or something. I've never really seen macroblocking or other artifacts, there really was nothing to complain about.

It's just the natural difference of a 720p res video and playing game at native 1050-1200p. Quality will differ greatly and obviously playing game at 720p it will not look much sharper than videos with the bloom and grain filter...

It's not like the videos are of superb Blu-ray IQ either. 2.7GB over 167 video files excluding DLC videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I thought the cutscenes were pretty ugly. It's hard for me to get my monitor calibrated properly, but I'm not sure how to calibrate the 360 anyway. The cutscenes seemed much brighter and washed out all of the detail.

It's just the natural difference of a 720p res video and playing game at native 1050-1200p. Quality will differ greatly and obviously playing game at 720p it will not look much sharper than videos with the bloom and grain filter...

The pc demo of Mass Effect 2 has really high compression on the videos and they do look blocky, the actual game isn't as bad as the demo. But as you mention, on pc it's still really easy to see the difference because the pc realtime engine looks so good and runs 60fps, so the drop to 30fps blurry cutscene videos is kinda harsh. I wonder if the PS3 version videos were upgraded? Would be nice to have blu-ray quality cutscenes.

We'll find out in a few weeks. They've certainly took the time to rework some assets so it's reasonable to assume recompression for the PS3 version.
But 1080p is unlikely, it'd involve too much work to re-render everything from the still frames through the post effects work. Maybe they'll simply scale it up, we do this with our movies regularly as well; although they're all highly antialiased, whereas the ME2 cinematics are not.

(Ironically, the ME3 teaser was our first true 1080p project though)

Though I doubt the video quality would be worse than 360 version since both game versions ships on 2-discs.

You mean the PC and the 360, not the PS3 and the 360, right? :)

It's probably just a question of playing on a HDTV from the couch, or on a monitor at your desk sitting in front of it. The PC would make all kinds of IQ problems a lot more obvious.

It's probably just a question of playing on a HDTV from the couch, or on a monitor at your desk sitting in front of it. The PC would make all kinds of IQ problems a lot more obvious.

Well I play pc games from the couch, hence why I get pissed when pc games don't support the 360 pad :) Playing pc games at a desk is old school!

All I played on PC in the past years is Starcraft 2 and that kinda has problems with couches and controllers ;) But I don't wanna be old school, I'm still young!! :D

Well I play pc games from the couch, hence why I get pissed when pc games don't support the 360 pad :) Playing pc games at a desk is old school!

I prefer my Logitech Rumblepad 2. Much better D-Pad than the X360, though the analog sticks are a little odd(They don't sit in a circle, they sit in a square. Some emulators, which is what I primarily use controllers for, have trouble with this).

There's a wireless version, FWIW. I really recommend everyone look it up. I've used like 10 different PC controllers, and this one just blows the others out of the water.

There's a wireless version, FWIW. I really recommend everyone look it up. I've used like 10 different PC controllers, and this one just blows the others out of the water.

Really ?
Tried a falcon with that new mouse emulation tool ? I doubt thats going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back