Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

They dropped a patch for Alone in the Dark 2024 recently, which includes a 'Shader preload' option in the settings.

Welp, I'll let the video and the description explain the results.

Oh man.
that's horrible. I wonder why they bothered to begin with. Maybe Steam is taking the matter into their own hands?

From a @GhostofWar post:

Now it's all beginning to make sense why some devs have posted "we DO preload shaders!" and their games are stuttering messes.... they're probably just doing this exact same bs :LOL:

Next patch will automatically increase your Nvidia shader cache to 100GB and turn off Windows control flow guard.

As for other games doing it, I actually doubt that - this method is immediately recognizable as you get long, sustained CPU boost to 80-90% when it's encountering a new area, you would actually see a significant increase in traversal stutter if games routinely patched this method in. I think other games just either have inadequate playthroughs or run into the deficits of UE4's PSO gathering process where it just can't capture certain effects (like particles).

I think this is a first, it seems the devs literally did a reddit search for "stopping UE4 shader stutter". 😬

Last edited:
That RT proxy mesh in Avatar is super low fidelity. I guess it’s fine for probe based GI but how in the world is that working for reflections.
It really becomes noticable for me on anything that approaches mirror-like surface roughness. I would say it becomes noticable first on most shiney metals already, but for specular reflections on plants, rocks, and dull metals, it is not noticable. The issue is of course that such a thing only really works super well for Avatar given the materials in the game, in a game in city location, it would be pretty obvious very quickly. Or in a game that supported transparent reflections from glass (avatar does not).
They dropped a patch for Alone in the Dark 2024 recently, which includes a 'Shader preload' option in the settings.

Welp, I'll let the video and the description explain the results.

Oh man.
Man, that is so bad.

That RT proxy mesh in Avatar is super low fidelity. I guess it’s fine for probe based GI but how in the world is that working for reflections.
You are not wrong. Answer is they still heavily rely on screen space raymarching to produce most results in diffuse & specular gi passes. HWRT is more like one of the fallback solutions when the ss technique fails. In fact since there're no small vegetation and decoration props in the RT BVH, ss technique is crucial both in terms of performance saving and creating detailed indirect lighting.
If you look down a still water plane, the transition between screen space reflection and HWRT can be quite obvious -- though adding more ripples can easily mask most of the visual mismatches. Give it some distortion!

for certain companies this might be the future of gaming for the most part. Detachable controllers working as two controllers would really be cool, although not possible right now on Windows? Maybe too challenging. I mean, Lenovo Legion Go detachable controllers work like a single controller.

I'm waiting for the next-generation of Steam Deck for a more portable PC gaming experience. My ROG Strix laptop is becoming a pain to travel with for such needs.

I'm waiting for the next-generation of Steam Deck for a more portable PC gaming experience. My ROG Strix laptop is becoming a pain to travel with for such needs.
in that sense you've got a winner. Hope a future Steam Deck has VRR support though, that's the best feature of the RoG Ally.

On a different note, the sweet spot of these machines seems to be 25W of power consumption for AAA games. Also being able to set the amount of RAM for the CPU and for the GPU is also a great feature. It's kinda surprising how they perform compared to the PS5 even being vastly inferior for obvious reasons.

for certain companies this might be the future of gaming for the most part. Detachable controllers working as two controllers would really be cool, although not possible right now on Windows? Maybe too challenging. I mean, Lenovo Legion Go detachable controllers work like a single controller.

Interesting comparison. What I want to know is did DF pony up and pay for all these devices or did they receive these units for review?

Interesting comparison. What I want to know is did DF pony up and pay for all these devices or did they receive these units for review?

As I asked you in another thread (and which you didn't answer), just come out and say what you believe the implication is here. What's the relevance when it's a comparison between different systems? Do you believe certain models are being weighted unfairly? Their benchmarks are suspect? Spell it out.

I hope the advent of Ryzen 'c' cores means the next Steam Deck will at least provide six of them. It wont always be useful when you're more often GPU limited and perhaps not even aiming at 60fps, but when four cores does become the limit, it's not a small one.

I feel like going with just four cores again(as some early rumors suggest) will be highly stingy.

As I asked you in another thread (and which you didn't answer), just come out and say what you believe the implication is here. What's the relevance when it's a comparison between different systems? Do you believe certain models are being weighted unfairly? Their benchmarks are suspect? Spell it out.
Dude you have personal problems you need to sort out.

Most review channels state if they received a unit for review or if they purchased it. That information is pretty standard at the start of videos. Rtings just released a review on the Samsung S90D today. Go watch it and see how they disclose how they acquired the unit.

Back