Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Funny console, when did it release?
I asked about example when lower amd gpu outperform higher model on same architecture but with lower clocks, I have never seen such a case edit: In apparently old engine cyberpunk 6800xt wider but lower clocks demolish 6700xt

We've been seeing it since November 2020 with PS5.
Hehe thats only theory that tried to explain performance difference and I show you is not very good one as we can compare using pc gpus on same arch. with higher cores number and lower clocks that beat lower cores higher clocks (as surprise surpise tflops were good performance indicator on same arch.)

It's not an 6700XT it is an RX6700. I can't find any comparison between the RX6700 and the RX6800 it is usually the RX6700XT vs the RX6800.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 190036.jpg

Hehe thats only theory that tried to explain performance difference and I show you is not very good one as we can compare using pc gpus on same arch. with higher cores number and lower clocks that beat lower cores higher clocks (as surprise surpise tflops were good performance indicator on same arch.)

It's the width of the shader arrays on the Series X that stand out as being unusually large. There's no real analogue on the PC side.

You'd have to test this basically by manually overclocking/underclocking with desktop GPUs as it doesn't really make sense to actually configure desktop end products that way, certainly not the extent of the PS4/XSX, on the PC side. Even then it wouldn't capture the same scenario.

The 6700xt and 6800 comparisons don't work because the 6800XT still scales roughly proportionally higher in all aspects (ROPs and other units aside from shaders, memory bandwidth without caveats, proportionally higher power budget, etc.) with no drawbacks/limitations and is running with the same driver/api/os stack and is actually architecture identical. This isn't the case with the PS5 and XSX.

Thinking about the best example on the PC side that might highlight why it's not just theoretical TFLOPs and GPU "width" is looking at AMD's APUs in final products particularly with the Steam Deck also thrown in there. The Steam Deck's APUs is just much weaker on paper than the now newer alternatives and while generally slower it's not always the case and the gap is smaller than the TFLOPs numbers would often indicate. Even just the Z1 vs. Z1 Extreme numbers don't show anywhere near the gap the tflops indicates, and that is much larger proportionally than the PS5 vs XSX.

is it a Benchmark though?

Richard stated there is DRS going on and "Series S running with a reduced resolution is able to out-perform Series X" does it mean Series S is a better console?

and "perhaps the dynamic resolution formula is different between consoles and PC"

more academic research using the PC benchmark pass than Actual Benchmark pass

if we rely on Dynamic Res Scaling we'll get results (PS5/XSX delivering 3080 performance again .. 3090 next time it's only 10-15% higher than 3080 afterall) so we're getting there

Mesh shader support on PlayStation is very close to pc. I am shocked. SHOCKED. 🤣

I think the reality is the Xbox and PlayStation architectures are probably almost identical when it comes to cpu and gpu families.

I'd be willing to bet the sampler feedback logic is also inside PS5's GPU.

I'd be willing to bet the sampler feedback logic is also inside PS5's GPU.
Why would you bet that? If it was, Sony almost assuredly would have said so since MS was making a big point of using it as a selling point.

There's been more than enough evidence by now to support the claim that the PS5 processor simply isn't properly DX12U compliant and was probably a big reason that they could get an early headstart for dev kits and mass production.

Why would you bet that? If it was, Sony almost assuredly would have said so since MS was making a big point of using it as a selling point.

There's been more than enough evidence by now to support the claim that the PS5 processor simply isn't properly DX12U compliant and was probably a big reason that they could get an early headstart for dev kits and mass production.
I don't think this is the reason they don't use all DX12 functionalities. They wanted an APU around 300 mm2 and they decided to choose the RDNA 2 functionalities they think useful for PS5 within this APU size. They choose this size because they were thinking about cost reduction during the lifecycle of the PS5.

EDIT: 308 mm2 to be precise.

There were a bunch of people on this forum that said ps5 didn’t support Mesh Shaders because they didn’t explicitly say so. But here we are with Remedy saying support is basically the same as pc.

As PS5 doesn't use DX, it's not anything DX compliant.

But have Sony ever said mesh shades work on PS5?

There were a bunch of people on this forum that said ps5 didn’t support Mesh Shaders because they didn’t explicitly say so. But here we are with Remedy saying support is basically the same as pc.
We said they didn’t support amplification shaders.

The thought process was that if PS5 is missing per primitive output; it’s on the older RDNA1 geometry front end. The rdna2 support per primitive output on mesh shader. And latter also support amplification shaders which don’t exist on rdna1.

We’ve cited several times that only difference between Mesh Shader support on DX12U requires per primitive output. If PS5 is almost PC, then this would be accurate. I think technically people are correct. Nvidias standard won out on dx12 and not AMDs.

Last edited:
Back