Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Different Ryzen gens tested in this video here.

Near as I can tell, the game isn't just CPU limited but also very bandwidth limited. Switching between CCDs on 7950x3D often shows 30-40% difference while Vtune reports bandwidth bottlenecking my older 9900k. This might also factor into Xbox outperforming PS5 in this game.

hFmSZKI.png
If I understand this correctly, the cpu is bandwidth starved?

0:00:00 Overview
0:01:20 How is Sony marketing the PS5 Pro?
0:09:43 Big three features: larger GPU, machine learning and ray tracing enhancements
0:25:10 The missing disc drive
0:33:12 $700 USD sticker shock: does it make sense?
0:44:23 What do we want to see out of PS5 Pro?
0:49:43 Supporter Q1: Was Microsoft right to skip an enhanced console this generation?
0:54:06 Supporter Q2: Is GT7’s 8K mode as stupid as it sounds?
0:57:26 Supporter Q3: What PC GPU is the best match for PS5 Pro?
1:00:27 Supporter Q4: Will Sony encourage developers to stick to a single PS5 Pro mode, or have multiple?
1:02:58 Supporter Q5: Why doesn’t the PS5 Pro have a larger CPU upgrade?
@Dictator didn't you notice how much better the PSSR versions looked at 60fps vs 30fps quality on PS5? Sharper textures and more defined assets overall including in motion? This is the moment were you complain Sony didn't show PSSR comparisons, but they actually did, and you even showcased them in your own video! The improvements are so noticeable everybody could notice them in the shitty 1080p feed, but you couldn't?

Space Marine 2 also doesn't like E-Core on Intel, with OC3D showing benchmarks where the fastest results are with the E-cores on a 13900K disabled.

So I imagine the cross CCD latency is also killing performance on older Zen CPUs, just like it did on Spiderman with RT enabled.

0:00:00 Overview
0:01:20 How is Sony marketing the PS5 Pro?
0:09:43 Big three features: larger GPU, machine learning and ray tracing enhancements
0:25:10 The missing disc drive
0:33:12 $700 USD sticker shock: does it make sense?
0:44:23 What do we want to see out of PS5 Pro?
0:49:43 Supporter Q1: Was Microsoft right to skip an enhanced console this generation?
0:54:06 Supporter Q2: Is GT7’s 8K mode as stupid as it sounds?
0:57:26 Supporter Q3: What PC GPU is the best match for PS5 Pro?
1:00:27 Supporter Q4: Will Sony encourage developers to stick to a single PS5 Pro mode, or have multiple?
1:02:58 Supporter Q5: Why doesn’t the PS5 Pro have a larger CPU upgrade?
Man, not really feeling a lot of agreement here with many of the thoughts.

I know DF dont like to be overly negative, but there is no world in where the general mediocre level of improvement here can justify the costs. And if this is truly where 'things are going' in terms of pricing and whatnot, will they be ok with a $1000 PS6? Cuz that's absolutely not viable.

I know DF dont like to be overly negative, but there is no world in where the general mediocre level of improvement here can justify the costs. And if this is truly where 'things are going' in terms of pricing and whatnot, will they be ok with a $1000 PS6? Cuz that's absolutely not viable.
They don't think it's viable. But the justification here is that this is a niche machine, I just think it's going to be even more niche at it's price point.
The next generation of consoles may not come for a while, for the price to come down, so must the costs of making that hardware. We could be in for a very long generation.

Reactions: snc

Didn't Richard say the price went down "like a cup of cold sick"? I enjoyed that. :D

Didn't Richard say the price went down "like a cup of cold sick"? I enjoyed that. :D
He did, and that was pretty funny and accurate, but they(particularly John) were still doing some handwaving about how things are getting more expensive and trying to justify it somewhat. John said the $699 US pricetag was 'borderline ok', but I just cant get onboard, especially when there's no disc drive and not even a freaking stand. So it's really more like $799+ for many people. That's utterly ludicrous.

They don't think it's viable. But the justification here is that this is a niche machine, I just think it's going to be even more niche at it's price point.
The next generation of consoles may not come for a while, for the price to come down, so must the costs of making that hardware. We could be in for a very long generation.
I'm 100% cool with a very long generation. I've been advocating for that for a while now, in fact.

But thing is - I dont think there's any reason for PS5 Pro to be niche. I think at the right price, it'd actually have quite a lot of appeal. And at some point, if something is too niche, doing an expensive project like this just isn't worth it. I already suspect Sony regrets doing PSVR2, for instance.

I have noticed that my 5800X is heavily bottlenecking RTX 4080 in Space Marine 2. Start of the first Ultramarines mission, 70fps both on 1080p low DLLS quality and 4K Ultra dlss quality.

More cache on 5800 X3D part would probably do wonders.

I observed an interesting behavior: on my 7950X3D, it uses all 16 cores instead of locking into the 8 V3D cache cores. I don't know if it's deliberate but I doubt it's just an oversight.
It also keep all cores somewhat busy at around 30% ~ 40% usage. I can see it uses even more CPU resources on an 8-core CPU.

These PRO consoles were never meant to be niche for specific people... they were meant to replace the base consoles at the standard price while they were simultaneously able to price reduce the base consoles to reach more gamers.

Since that's not happening anymore, it will be interesting to see how the later half of this gen pans out for them. They're lucky because MS is essentially no competition at this point, but perhaps the Series S could gain some ground since the base consoles aren't dropping price.

These PRO consoles were never meant to be niche for specific people... they were meant to replace the base consoles at the standard price while they were simultaneously able to price reduce the base consoles to reach more gamers.

Since that's not happening anymore, it will be interesting to see how the later half of this gen pans out for them. They're lucky because MS is essentially no competition at this point, but perhaps the Series S could gain some ground since the base consoles aren't dropping price.
Project Scorpio aka Xbox One X was sold at a higher price point compared to Xbox One and Xbox One S

But Playstation was the one that had the same price point and a lower price point for the other console (which was discounted earlier before the release of the pro, even before the release of the slim if I am not mistaken)

Back