Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The initial presentation by the developers stated the decompression used 40% of a Ryzen 5900x, so nearly 5 cores just for decompression.

The final game loads just as fast as PS5 with no where near that level of CPU requirement needed as it loads fast on a quad core, so they've either turned in to programming wizards and reduced the decompression requirements to next to nothing or it's using GPU decompression.

They also updated the game to DS1.1 so it makes sense they would move it over to the GPU side.
Uh, no... They said 40% of the total load time recorded is due to decompression... not that it's utilizing 40% of the CPU..... cmon now..

DirectStorage4-scaled.jpg

Forspoken retail does not use the GPU for decompression.

This game loads for over a minute on a PC. There are over 20GBs of data in the system memory. This game needs alone 9.3GB VRAM in 1080p but ony 11.3GB in 4K. Obviously everything about this game is unoptimized and has nothing to with some kind of magic decompression.

The game can be buggy/unoptimized and use immense decompression at the same time. The developers are still at fault here. But don't mix two issues as one.

He provided a video that showed R&C level warping, I showed Titanfall 2 doing the same thing.

He failed to discuss the technical details as to how R&C was achieving it so in the context of his comment my response was correct.

The context of what he was referring to with ratchet is widely understood with the ssd loading in a new level into memory. At best, you didn't do your homework before responding, at worst you tried to pull a fast one. Either way you were wrong here.

Judging by the amount of backlash and Sonys initiative to keep porting ps exclusive games to pc, will we ever see a built from the ground up ps5 exclusive harnessing the full power of the ssd if the game is ultimately getting ported to the pc down the line?

I LOVE that pc gamers get to experience these great games but I just feel like due to this negativity that studios will start developing pc versions in tandem with the ps5 version of a game and that the whole 9gb/s on ps5 (if developers devise a way to make this happen without bottlenecking something else) will never become standard.
I think they will continue to do what they have been doing. But their PC priority won't go away. So they need to figure out how to port their PS5 content to PC more competently.

Which is why I say the devs doing porting effort from the PC should be different. PCs have different strengths and weaknesses from the console platform. take advantage of them. Cut off HDD if you need to. From what I know in most cases PS5 will run out of CPU long before the full power of the SSD bandwidth would ever be utilized so it's just future proofing and to erase it as a bottleneck completely.

Meaning maxing out PS5 in such a way is impossible to begin with and PC should with direct storage anyway should still be able to replicate what PS5 does even at the lower level

The best thing Sony can do for PC gamers is to develop amazing games that push the PS5 to the limit and as a result require SSDs / directstorage for maximum settings on PC. If they use PS5’s decompression and I/O grunt as a crutch to avoid doing proper asset streaming it would just lead to more mediocre ports that don’t justify the PC hardware requirements.

Does Rift Apart use virtual textures or is it powering through on raw I/O?
It's tricky proposition though. Cause the PS5 was created in a vacuum to make development easier for devs. So it would not matter if devs could cheat by using ps5s "secret sauce" if the game is only on PS5 and that's the result people see. But porting that to other platforms becomes more of an issue.

Essentially it's saying games would have to still be designed in a certain way to account for other platforms when that realistically shouldent be the goal as closed platform. Let the porting studio after the fact figure out how to best make the game work on PC. There are plenty of options

Like a seasoned pc developer already, releasing launch day garbage.

One interesting thing is that I tend to have far less technical problems with early access indie and AA developer releases on PC than I do with so called AAA quality releases. Granted there are also some really janky indie/AA releases, but I tend to have far less problems with them than AAA developer released games.

It is actually a bit shameful for some of the AAA devs releasing their titles in such a state on PC.

Regards,
SB

One interesting thing is that I tend to have far less technical problems with early access indie and AA developer releases on PC than I do with so called AAA quality releases. Granted there are also some really janky indie/AA releases, but I tend to have far less problems with them than AAA developer released games.

It is actually a bit shameful for some of the AAA devs releasing their titles in such a state on PC.

Regards,
SB
Not many preorders for Indie/AA games, but AAA games receive huge preorders.

@Silent_Buddha A lot of indie games do early access and extensive betas so by the time 1.0 rolls around they're pretty stable. But generally I agree. Rarely have issues with indie games. They also don't really stress computers to the same degree, so PCs can brute force performance.

It's tricky proposition though. Cause the PS5 was created in a vacuum to make development easier for devs. So it would not matter if devs could cheat by using ps5s "secret sauce" if the game is only on PS5 and that's the result people see. But porting that to other platforms becomes more of an issue.

Essentially it's saying games would have to still be designed in a certain way to account for other platforms when that realistically shouldent be the goal as closed platform. Let the porting studio after the fact figure out how to best make the game work on PC. There are plenty of options

Its more of a PC issue anyways not how Sony devs make games. Its not like PC isn't a clusterfuck right now. The PC has been seeing a ton of newly released high profile titles commonly displaying issues at release that PC gamers find unacceptable. If anything Sony' first party devs are the least prepared for the current realities of the PC development.

PC development has some issues to work out and once it does Sony devs will probably have no more issues than your average dev supporting the PC platform.

That's odd. It's definitely working on my end and in sync with the monitor OSD.

View attachment 8677
Hmmm, I want to query; do you have "windowed + fullscreen games" ticked in NVCP? Mine is only on "only fullscreen games." Maybe... that's the problem?

Yes... So res scaling needs "windowed mode" Gsync setting active. It works on my end now too. But I usually disable windowed Gsync because it can be problematic in certain apps...

@Remij Ticking Fullscreen+Windowed in Gsync settings made the VRR work with res. scaling.

You're still not getting it. Processing power is meaningless if the data is struggling to get where it needs to be. That is the core issue right now. That is the main factor that has changed this new generation. What has narrowed the relative performance gap between home consoles and PC. Do your best to stop thinking under outdate standards and understand why and how things will be different going forward.

Why would data be struggling to get to where it needs to be on a properly equipped PC and application? Like I'm seriously asking you to explain the bottleneck here in terms of interfaces, bandwidth and processing capability vs workload because all I'm hearing are wild claims about PS5 superiority without any technical details to back them up.

Obviously a PS5 is going to outperform an ill-equipped PC in this respect, (and as we've seen, if the application isn't properly utliising a correctly equipped PC, the result will be the same), but lets take an PCIe 4.0 NVMe equipped system utilising Direct Storage 1.1 with GPU decompression as a baseline along with a CPU and GPU that is at least a match for those in the console. And as a preview I will say that a little more CPU power on the PC side should be required for a similar result, but I'll leave you to explain the detail of why...

Thats not entirely true though. Because it comes down to the minimal PC Specs they would aim for.
And if Direct Storage realy is the savior of PC I/O ...
If Direct Storage cant keep up ( on PCs around PS5 Spec or below) with a fully utilized PS5 I/O then it becomes difficult.

Why would Direct Storage be unable to keep up? As with my above point, please explain this in terms of interfaces, bandwidth and processing capability vs workload. We already have benchmarks showing decompression throughput far in excess of the known limits of the hardware decompressor in the PS5, so what is it that you think will not be able to keep up, and why?

Perhaps it's the GPU's ability to keep up with the decompression workload at the same time as the rendering. Which begs the question of how much data are you expecting to be streamed in parallel to actual gameplay? Even a modest GPU of around PS5 capability can decompress enough data to fill the entire VRAM of a standard 8GB GPU in less than 1 second. And you're never going to completely refresh you're VRAM like that mid gameplay. If I recall the Matrix awakens demo was streaming less then 150MB/s and I think @HolySmoke presented some details for Rifts Apart here before which show even that has modest streaming requirements on average.

Of course there will be full scene changes which including load screens or animations (which includes ultra short loads animations like the rift transitions in Rifts Apart) where a relatively large amount of data will be loaded from disk in a very short period, but you aren't actually rendering much of anything on the GPU at those points and so the entire GPU resources can be dedicated to the decompression much in the same way that the hardware block on the PS5 is used.

For normal, much more modest streaming requirements, async compute is used targeting the spare compute resources on these GPU's as a GPU is very rarely 100% compute limited.

If for some reason that cobbled together Software solution is not quite on par with PS5s fixed funktion hardware array it could realy hurt PS5 Exclusives Development..

You realise that describing one as a "cobbled together Software solution" and the other "hardware array" (lol) isn't going to make anyone here think that one is faster than the other? For that we need, details, specifications, and ideally tests.

Sure but you also need to look at ressources used (vram, GPU) and latency. PC will need to brute force it if they want to stay competitive against PS5 I/O.

We know the VRAM used. As stated here, the default staging buffer size is 32MB, but the optimal size is 128MB. More can be added for larger VRAM pools. So it's very minimal compared with the available VRAM size on any modern GPU.

We can also draw some conclusions around GPU resources required given the link I posted above shows the 6600XT pushing in excess of 10GB/s. So if we were to assume a HUGE streaming speed of 1GB/s then that would take at most around 10% of the compute resources of a 6600XT - via async compute. Obviously faster loading speeds could be utilised during initial or fast travel loads which would use more GPU resources but at those times the GPU isn't needed for rendering meaning 100% of it is available for decompression.

As to latency. The latency of all the various busses and memory components (DDR, GDDR) in this solution are orders of magnitude lower than that of the NVMe drive in the PS5 (and PC) and so there's no reason to expect that to be adding any appreciable latency over the PS5's end to end transfer latency which will be almost entirely made up by the NVME drives latency itself.

So to address your final point, what's your definition of "brute forcing" here? 128MB more VRAM? 10% more GPU compute power in the corner cases where a GPU's compute limits are 100% maxed out? Doesn't sound like much to worry about to me.

Hmmm, I want to query; do you have "windowed + fullscreen games" ticked in NVCP? Mine is only on "only fullscreen games." Maybe... that's the problem?

Yes... So res scaling needs "windowed mode" Gsync setting active. It works on my end now too. But I usually disable windowed Gsync because it can be problematic in certain apps...

@Remij Ticking Fullscreen+Windowed in Gsync settings made the VRR work with res. scaling.
Oh jeez... that makes sense. Yea I just had fullscreen.. I installed new drivers and hadn't changed it back. LOL the game only runs in borderless window so naturally it will need Fullscreen+windowed checked off.

I feel dumb.

Glad we got that solved though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back