Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to the first batch of games which take these same constraints -- low tri count, low res texture, csg levels -- but author everything with path traced rendering in mind.
Why such low expectations? Why not modern materials with good shading and smooth looking object edges (see spoiler), POM, modern post processing etc. but relatively small environments with few objects and not too many different materials? That shouldn't require significantly more computing power either. In Alien: Isolation you can currently get several hundred fps in UHD. Especially when you add DLSS to the game.

Face-Weighted Normals

Last edited:
Why such low expectations?
Path tracing performance scales by triangle count more than instance count, and image quality (noise) basically scales light count, you aren't going to resolve super crisp raster friendly details at the native resolution and you shouldn't spend your perf on a ton of close together thin tris chamfering edges. I would guess decal performance would also scale poorly, more arbitrary info to look up for a given ray hit sounds expensive, but I'm not really educated enough to say with confidence.
I'm sure you can do much better than hl1 era content in a path traced renderer with a sufficiently skilled team, but it's a proven quantity that it works and you can make a game that looks a lot better than these hobbyist upgrades by just working within those constriants in the first place.

(I'm also a tech artist and I'm a big fan of geometry heavy face weighted normals workflows, which have become a lot more standard thanks in part to posts like that!)

The thing I love most about PC gaming is that for the most part games are eternal. If I wanted to play a game from 2005 I still can. Console gaming has always felt generational to me.
It's not always straight forward to play games for the Windows 95/98/2000 era on modern Windows, e.g.f. Fallout 3 and New Vegas can be quite hit of miss outside of a full virtualised environment - and I keep an old Windows 98 VM for such cases - but I do wonder how well some of the more aggressive DRM implementations will work on Windows 14. These are often predicated on access to some kernel functions that are gradually being eroded with each new version of Windows as technical threat vectors are removed.

I wouldn't bank on this always being the case, nor indeed any part of the front-end that relies on connecting to some server. Hello OG Mass Effect trilogy on PC, I'm looking at you!

but I do wonder how well some of the more aggressive DRM implementations will work on Windows 14. These are often predicated on access to some kernel functions that are gradually being eroded with each new version of Windows as technical threat vectors are removed.
Multiplayer games will be updated to handle this, and Singlepayer games are either cracked to remove their protection or have mods for that, or would be intergrated into a service like GOG to off them with no protection.

I personally replace all the original exes from my singleplayer games (once they are done recieving updates) to get rid of any pisky annoying DRM or launchers.

Multiplayer games will be updated to handle this, and Singlepayer games are either cracked to remove their protection or have mods for that, or would be intergrated into a service like GOG to off them with no protection.
For the games that make it GoG, assuming you don't mind buying things twice, or hoping a crack doesn't contain malware, those are options.

I’m sure publishers consider that to be a bug, not a feature.
Not really. That's a good thing for them, as their games can continue to bring in some level of revenue even later on, as they still remain playable, as otherwise they'd get nothing.

If you're talking about remasters/remakes, having the old games still around doesn't make a remaster/remake less appealing if they're making the games a better modern experience, and so are still worth buying.

It was quite clear DX12 was developed in haste though, without giving many of it's features the proper think through, and while the initial wave of DX12 games were satisfactory to AMD and achieved their Mantle goals, AMD quickly got entangled into the barrage of DX12 problems, like everyone else, and in many many cases, the results were not satisfactory anymore.
Summing up:
OpenGL: Not designed in a haste, but over many years. It's crap.
DX12: Made in a haste following proposal of a single IHV. Much better, but still crap.
DXR: Give the same right to the other vendor this time. Pile of crap done over night.

I admit i'm not really fair with my rant. Complexity without being crappy seems impossible, and simplicity isn't enough.
We can't have diversity either. It would be nice to have many OSes and APIs to see what works best. But we can't develop for all of those variants without adding bias and redundant costs.
Overall the situation isn't bad. But it's pointless to discuss the stuff which actually works, so i focus on the 5% which doesn't. : )

I'd say it isn't that straight forward.

Games as a service really originated in the PC space and that particular characteristic has likely contributed to some very persistent GAAS of varying scope.
Oh GaaS is definitely where they want to go. Or a game-buffet (Gamepass). Every corp wants predictable revenue streams, and a subscription model enables that consistency far better than product sales that could hit or miss.

But both GaaS and the buffet model are diametrically opposed to the classic perpetual license model that we old-timers cherish. You are at the mercy of the service -- they get to decide when and for how long you get to play the game. And while I do get the business rationale for service games, the awful DRM and *grits teeth* LAUNCHERS that even perpetual-license games are being infected with conveys a sentiment that publishers are going out of their way to actively punish PC-gamers.

But both GaaS and the buffet model are diametrically opposed to the classic perpetual license model that we old-timers cherish.
Not all of us old timers cherish it. Honestly, I'm at the point in my life that I'm totally fine being 90% digital and plenty of that on subscriptions. Partly because I'm getting old and already have too much crap in my house. But mostly because of the ease of access combined with the total lack of actual archival quality games released on disc. I mean, it's cool if you have your favorite game on disc, but if you have to download an update that's larger than the initial install, what good does it do you.

Not all of us old timers cherish it. Honestly, I'm at the point in my life that I'm totally fine being 90% digital and plenty of that on subscriptions. Partly because I'm getting old and already have too much crap in my house. But mostly because of the ease of access combined with the total lack of actual archival quality games released on disc. I mean, it's cool if you have your favorite game on disc, but if you have to download an update that's larger than the initial install, what good does it do you.
There is a difference between revering discs and not liking games as a service always online stuff. Discs are not neccesary for games to be single player dedicated experiences that are not designed in the most board room monetization happy way live service games are designed

There is a difference between revering discs and not liking games as a service always online stuff. Discs are not neccesary for games to be single player dedicated experiences that are not designed in the most board room monetization happy way live service games are designed
I was mostly talking about the buffet model. Gaas, though? I actually don't care about that either. I'm not going to play most of them, but there are enough compelling experiences available without them that I don't see their existence as a problem.

I was mostly talking about the buffet model. Gaas, though? I actually don't care about that either. I'm not going to play most of them, but there are enough compelling experiences available without them that I don't see their existence as a problem.
It seems like they have already hit a point of market saturation though

I'll basically never pay a subscription for a single game unless it's some kind of Sci-fi like VR based other universe with essentially endless possibilities.

"Buffet" models like XBOX Live are great and I can see me forking out for something like that one day, but not as a replacement for permanently owned digital games. There are tons of games that I want to keep in perpetuity, usually because they offer some unique experience that I at least want the option to dip into whenever I feel like it. But also in the case of those really good games essentially as a momento of the experience, and also in case I want to show or play the game to/with anyone else.

I'll basically never pay a subscription for a single game unless it's some kind of Sci-fi like VR based other universe with essentially endless possibilities.

"Buffet" models like XBOX Live are great and I can see me forking out for something like that one day, but not as a replacement for permanently owned digital games. There are tons of games that I want to keep in perpetuity, usually because they offer some unique experience that I at least want the option to dip into whenever I feel like it. But also in the case of those really good games essentially as a momento of the experience, and also in case I want to show or play the game to/with anyone else.
The issue with gamepass and subscription like services imo is that all your money invested goes down the drain once you stop paying. I don't think that is a very good deal for those of us who don't play every single game on the service once and move on. I pick up games in interested in and generally keep them for as long as I wish for a flat rate without having to worry about whether or not I can keep up payments to keep the privilege of gaming as a hobby

Subscription model may not be for everyone but i am not looking forward to going back and collecting cds, dvds, brs and games anymore. I have tons of those and dont know what to do with it, too sentimental to throw it away and too cheap/problematic to sell. And problem with getting older is i get bored with games pretty quickly, before i could play for hours crap like Battle Arena Toshninden 3 on psx now i am getting bored after 1 hour playing games that are 8s or 9s. I was hyped as hell for RE4 remake as this was one of my favorite games on ps4 and i couldn't even finish demo. Now i know, if it was on gamepass maybe i would give it a second chance to play but i am not gonna buy it. Thats a huge value for me.

Subscription model may not be for everyone but i am not looking forward to going back and collecting cds, dvds, brs and games anymore. I have tons of those and dont know what to do with it, too sentimental to throw it away and too cheap/problematic to sell. And problem with getting older is i get bored with games pretty quickly, before i could play for hours crap like Battle Arena Toshninden 3 on psx now i am getting bored after 1 hour playing games that are 8s or 9s. I was hyped as hell for RE4 remake as this was one of my favorite games on ps4 and i couldn't even finish demo. Now i know, if it was on gamepass maybe i would give it a second chance to play but i am not gonna buy it. Thats a huge value for me.

I think the choice here though is more between permanently owned digital games (e.g. through Steam) and a subscription service which gives you temporary access to games while they are hosted on the service. I doubt anyone is advocating for a return back to physical media.

Granted there is always the risk that your game store might fold, but that's very remote with the big ones, and even then they tend to allow you some way to keep playing the game regardless, e.g. transfer it to another platform like the Rockstar Games Launcher did with Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back