Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have liked to see more comparisons between the PS5's TAA injection vs it's implementation on PC, as the few examples they showed indicate the PC's implementation of Insomniac's reconstruction may not be quite up to how it works on the PS5. This scene in particular has massively more breakup on the PC with IGTI, especially in modes that more closely reflect the base res of the PS5's RT performance which doesn't exhibit these artifacts at all (FSR 2.0, even in quality also exhibits these to a lesser degree).

Bear in mind Analista's video was was done without the latest patch which is why the RT reflections are so noisy on PC, this apparently has been fixed. Perhaps the problems with the reconstruction flickering (outside of DLSS) are also fixed, who knows. As usual, best to wait for DF.

Also apparently dsr2 is better and there was opinion consoles doesn't need much dsr2 as they already use similar reconstruction techniques ;)
It's better that Insomniac's implementation on the PC going by that video - in most cases FSR 2.0 shows more artifacting than the PS5 does, especially when you go below quality where it really breaks down (and where the native res is closer to the PS5's RT Performance mode).

Edit: As per @Dictator, this is likely a result of the pre-patch footage, so ignore.

Last edited:
Would have liked to see more comparisons between the PS5's TAA injection vs it's implementation on PC, as the few examples they showed indicate the PC's implementation of Insomniac's reconstruction may not be quite up to how it works on the PS5. This scene in particular has massively more breakup on the PC with IGTI, especially in modes that more closely reflect the base res of the PS5's RT performance which doesn't exhibit these artifacts at all (FSR 2.0, even in quality also exhibits these to a lesser degree).

Bear in mind Analista's video was was done without the latest patch which is why the RT reflections are so noisy on PC, this apparently has been fixed. Perhaps the problems with the reconstruction flickering (outside of DLSS) are also fixed, who knows. As usual, best to wait for DF.
Yea, just looking at the video the PC implementation of IGTI clearly isn't the same as the PS5 version and is inferior.

Good question.. maybe it has been addressed now.

Kind of a messy situation for reviews and reviewers... but this just goes to show how dev doesn't stop and these things can change right up to the last minute..

Now though we get to see another aspect of Alex's tech review, and that's the comparison between the reviewed version, and the patched version. :)

If what's shown here in this video is representative (posted by @snc in the other tech thread), then it looks like there are still types of detail where DLSS rules supreme over other reconstruction techs. Insomniac's technique appears to come in last, but I guess I should know more about what "balanced" means for each of them before I say that with any high degree of confidence.

DLSS continues to offer the most optimistic view of future reconstruction technology, IMO.
Most of this footage is not using the proper Patch which fixes Things Like RT, DLSS or other aspects of the visuals. This Video is Not showing the Game as it is really

Yea, just looking at the video the PC implementation of IGTI clearly isn't the same as the PS5 version and is inferior.

Good question.. maybe it has been addressed now.

Kind of a messy situation for reviews and reviewers... but this just goes to show how dev doesn't stop and these things can change right up to the last minute..

Now though we get to see another aspect of Alex's tech review, and that's the comparison between the reviewed version, and the patched version.
IGTI in PC is the same as PS5 IGTI - source, Nixxes in an Interview with us.

The El Analista de Bits Video Looks to be Made of a surprising amount of footage Made before monday's patch, let alone yesterday's patch. Moday's Patch fixed things like DLSS, RT and even IGTI...

Last edited:

The El Analista de Bits Video Looks to be Made of a surprising amount of footage Made before monday's patch, let alone yesterday's patch. Moday's Patch fixed things like DLSS, RT and even IGTI...
Good to see it was a bug and has been since fixed.

Looking forward to your analysis!

Hey @Dictator have the patches fixed some of the texture related issues I'm seeing in some vidoes? In some instances the texture quality it noticeably worse on PC than PS5.

compa1.png

Reactions: snc
Most of this footage is not using the proper Patch which fixes Things Like RT, DLSS or other aspects of the visuals. This Video is Not showing the Game as it is really

Is the interview going to be published or was it just internally for DF staff?

Btw this game is good ocasion to compare uncapped modes as they exist (40fps uncapped and performance ucapped).

I wonder why the game is coming in so hot on PC, like why it's so close to the wire with multiple patches.

Surprised link hadn't actually been posted.
Explains delay, but also actually decent read in general.

To be fair to other comparisons you have to bite the bullet and put out your comparison at some point.
Nixis could be dropping a patch almost every day by the looks of it. Once you have the day one patch all bets are off

Surprised link hadn't actually been posted.
Explains delay, but also actually decent read in general.

To be fair to other comparisons you have to bite the bullet and put out your comparison at some point.
Nixis could be dropping a patch almost every day by the looks of it. Once you have the day one patch all bets are off

DF are using the day one patch as the basis I believe. It'll take time to get all the footage ready off the back off that though - especially to the level of quality Alex produces. I guess a lot of other vendors have used unpatched footage which isn't really that useful.

DF are using the day one patch as the basis I believe. It'll take time to get all the footage ready off the back off that though - especially to the level of quality Alex produces. I guess a lot of other vendors have used unpatched footage which isn't really that useful.
DF heads up article probably better than must full reviews.

Oh release date is the 12 Aug.
Sounds like they've been dropping patches like crazy, but since it's not released yet that's fine, unless they said a particular patch is the day one patch.
It just makes reviewers work harder, as then you may as well wait until after release.

Hey @Dictator have the patches fixed some of the texture related issues I'm seeing in some vidoes? In some instances the texture quality it noticeably worse on PC than PS5.

compa1.png

Yeah noticed that in some videos as well. In the above the PC has higher res hand textures, but the radio is far blurrier. Guessing this is LOD/texture streaming bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back