Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only likely added to PS5 to ensure there were no issues when running PS4 Pro games that require it via BC.
If that were true, why is it available for PS5 games? The inclusion is clearly beneficial, and ID buffers are a logical addition which brings improvements. I can't see why a GPU wouldn't want them as standard. Only downside for AMD including them is no-one using them for code that's supposed to run on nVidia and Intel without.

If that were true, why is it available for PS5 games? The inclusion is clearly beneficial, and ID buffers are a logical addition which brings improvements. I can't see why a GPU wouldn't want them as standard. Only downside for AMD including them is no-one using them for code that's supposed to run on nVidia and Intel without.

It is probably the reason, on PS5 there is only the exclusive games which will use it.

It is available for PS5 games.

Again Id buffer is not only useful for checkerboard rendering but it can help reduce temporal ghosting of TAA or temporal upscale and it can be used to generate a Visibility buffer like GG would have done if the title was exclusive to PS5.

I never said it didn't have more uses, it use was extremely limited likely owning to not being available on all platforms and that isn't likely to change.

Consoles will still have advantages versus PC, as they are closed boxes. I came accross a guy who compared Warzone 2 on PS5 vs his high end PC and he says the PS5 version was much better as the game had an unstable framerate on his PC. We could say the same for many others games released this year.

Do these people not understand how to apply frame rate caps? It's perfectly possible to get a completely flat frame time graph on virtually any PC game with a sufficiently powerful GPU and the correct settings except where shader compilation stutter comes into play. And Warzone 2 comes with a pre-compile menu option so that won't be the case there unless users are trying to run the game before the shaders have finished compiling.

Consoles will still have advantages versus PC, as they are closed boxes. I came accross a guy who compared Warzone 2 on PS5 vs his high end PC and he says the PS5 version was much better as the game had an unstable framerate on his PC. We could say the same for many others games released this year.
on fixed hardware of course, you have a point there. CoD Modern Warfare 2 is a good game to show the benefits of closed hardware. A colleague of mine who has a much more powerful GPU than mine, told me that when he gets to Amsterdam, during the mission where you gotta dive in the water, his RTX 3080 goes from 120-140fps to 80fps. My GPU doesn't fare any better, in fact it's the only place in the entire game iirc where my GPU had a steep decrease in the framerate. That being said, if you create something to do only one thing well and it doesn't do that well...., then what's the point?

In one of the most incredible stages of the game, in the ship and the oil rig, the water is much more spectacular and fierce there but the framerate doesn't suffer. Shrug. That stage is jaw-dropping.

Guerrilla need to modernize their engine the way Insomniac did for PS5 hardware (for instance by using RT hardware for the PS5 versions of Spider-man).

I wouldn't be surprised if Insomniac used others PS5 specific tricks like the ID Buffer by seen how competent the TAAU is on that console.
First other sony studios have to jump to guerilla standards as it delivered for now best looking game even tough still crossgen (especialy santa monica disappointed in terms of graphics tough game is briliant)

First other sony studios have to jump to guerilla standards as it delivered for now best looking game even tough still crossgen (especialy santa monica disappointed in terms of graphics tough game is briliant)
I don't think they disappointed. The game is still impressive and beautiful as a final showcase for the PS4. But they didn't go beyond PS4 level in any sense. Horizon is straddling the line a lot more finely

PS5 performs between 50-100% faster than my 1080ti in MW 2 depending on what game mode I'm playing.
the optimisation is almost perfect, as expected from a CoD game. I wonder what the console settings are. I've got a mid-tier GPU although nowadays most GPUs on that category run like 95%+ of games at 4K 60fps, so you "need no optimisation". During the benchmark I got 60fps average with xess quality enabled.

The game has complex settings, I just leave the default ones, increase VRAM memory usage, and a touch of shadows quality. There are many optimised settings guides out there though, and I've seen the game running at 60fps on a Steam Deck -at Minimum though, which is a setting that doesn't make you puke, surprisingly so-.

@Remij is that The Callisto Protocol?

the optimisation is almost perfect, as expected from a CoD game. I wonder what the console settings are. I've got a mid-tier GPU although nowadays most GPUs on that category run like 95%+ of games at 4K 60fps, so you "need no optimisation". During the benchmark I got 60fps average with xess quality enabled.

The game has complex settings, I just leave the default ones, increase VRAM memory usage, and a touch of shadows quality. There are many optimised settings guides out there though, and I've seen the game running at 60fps on a Steam Deck -at Minimum though, which is a setting that doesn't make you puke, surprisingly so-.

@Remij is that The Callisto Protocol?
60 fps at what seems like 360-480p looking quite a bit worse than a base Xbox One.

This is sad, I was really looking forward to playing this on PC. I didn't pre-order specifically because it's UE, dodged a bullet from the looks of it.
this is going to be a tough generation then, 'cos most games are going to run on UE.

Just now when I started to like UE..., sigh. :cautious:I never liked Unreal Engine before tbh, 'cos I had a thing against it from the PS3/X360 era. Dull grey looking games, loads of muscular fat marines everywhere and what looked to me like cheap bump mapping, plus it wasn't very AA friendly.

The Callisto Protocol's thread is a "poem" right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back