Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the opposite of my experience with a good interpolator and encoder. There's far more detail in motion without the annoying stutter/judder. The only drawback was that a good quality interpolated encode would take multiple hours. But I'd just set it to do its thing overnight and watch it at some later date.

I haven't done this in a while, so I can only imagine it must be even better now that there are AI trained interpolators that I didn't have access to when I was still watching films frequently enough to bother.

Regards,
SB

What were you using for the interpolating and encoding? I have a powerful server with a bunch of video files and would love to try that out.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...initive-edition-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition - the good, the bad and the ugly
Massive disappointment.

We had concerns about Rockstar's remastering of the PS2-era Grand Theft Auto Trilogy - worries that didn't abate when it was discovered that all three games would be drawing upon the flawed mobile ports, remasters shoehorned into Unreal Engine 4. We'll be looking at all three games in the pack, but we wanted to start with Grand Theft Auto 3. It's the oldest title in the line-up and we imagined that it would be the one with most to gain in the remastering process. Taking a step back from the controversy, it's fair to say that Grove Street Games' work is not without merit, but there are a lot of problems here - issues that are so blatant and jarring and ridiculous, it's hard to understand how the game made its way through quality control.

Let's start by talking about how the remaster compares to the original PlayStation 2 release - which we would imagine is the way that most console players coming to the Definitive Edition would have first experienced the game. In its original form, GTA3 on PlayStation 2 was built using RenderWare - a popular middleware solution from Criterion that was used in a huge range of games during that era, including all three GTA titles. Let's be clear here: GTA3 wasn't a visual masterpiece. Compared to contemporaries such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3, it fares badly. However, it was ambitious, with a full time of day system, weather simulation and of course, 'open world'-style free-form exploration of Liberty City. Many of these concepts had existed in the original GTA games but this was the first time it could be experienced in full 3D and the resulting sense of freedom is precisely what made it unique and special in 2001.

What a mess of a game...
Well it was a good game in the past, but in that state. It really seems that publishers today don't test their games anymore. One year ago it was cyberpunk and now GTA. A series that created billions in revenue. Take2 & rockstar should have the cash to develop such a game to the end so it is mostly bug-free but not like this. After seeing this, WarCraft III Reforged is a well remastered game ;)

What were you using for the interpolating and encoding? I have a powerful server with a bunch of video files and would love to try that out.

I originally started with SVP, which was decent. SVP now has a real time plug-in that can be used with various media players. It offers OK quality with the benefit of real time playback on most systems.

I experimented with other interpolators and encorders and at the end I was using Hybrid (Welcome to the home of Hybrid | Hybrid (selur.de) ). You'll definitely want to look up guides, etc. as there are a LOT of things you can tweak (and you need to tweak for best quality) depending on the type of video you are encoding. Hybrid is pretty advanced and is basically like a wrapper around a large variety of interpolators and video and audio encoders.

You can get excellent quality with Hybrid, but you'll need to do a lot of tweaking in order to find the best settings. Generic settings from guides can provide decent to good quality depending on the video you are interpolating.

There are simpler interpolator and encoder packages, some of which include AI trained interpolators, many of which are more optimized for Anime, but some are also good with real life video. Many of these also integrate AI trained video upscalers. I haven't really messed around with these so I don't have any particular recommendations here. You can start to go down the rabbit hole by looking up Waifu2X (AI upscaler, but links to that will include branches to AI interpolators as well) which many of them are based on. Keep in mind Waifu2X isn't the best, it's just the only one coming to mind right now and can be a jumping off point to start looking up AI trained upscalers/interpolaters.

Just be aware that upscaler/interpolaters that use AI trained algorithms will take a LONG time depending on quality, length of video and whether you are upscaling or not.

Regards,
SB

But it’s Unreal 4, surely it’s should be sorted just by using that?

You would think so but in the hands of inexperienced developers (or time/budget constrained) who knows what decisions they could make in regard to CPU threading.

EDIT: It appears that forcing the game to use DX12 on PC fixes nearly all performance problems, isn't the a lot of the advantage of DX12 over DX11 all on the CPU side of things?

Community modders do a 100 times better job at remastering/remaking these games. Unbelievable, or say almost comical how this even was possible but ok. I'd rather play the PS2 version on the actual ps2 lol. In many regards it looks better there.

GTA series has always been technically shite IMO.

My review of GTA games: You have the freedom to do anything you want ... badly.
That's what made 5 so special. It was much more technically solid compared to the previous releases without much of the jank the series was famous for. Strange that The Elder Scrolls also reached that point at the 5th numerical game in the series as well with Skyrim.

I guess the whole thing is just made with blueprints in unreal engine hence the bad performance
they would of been better served just keeping the old code, and just upgrading the assets

technically the later GTA's were always near the top of their game when they came out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back