Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're in the position where you need to decide what platform to play it on because you have multiple, well the visual/performance differential isn't enough to justify one over the other on its own.Rather focus on the other areas which may add to the experience as DF pointed out. Controller preference, achievements vs trophies...or perhaps where you can simply get it cheapest!

Its on Game Pass, so if you have that its "free" or you can try it for $1 for a month.

nice comparison, on ps5 some settings lowered but thx to that higher resolution, good choices by bloober imo

Interesting it's basically a choice between prettier pixels or higher resolution. Want prettier pixels, play it on XBS-X. Want higher resolution, play it on PS5.

If I were to play this on PC, my settings would probably be closer to PS5 (probably even lower as I'd want to have 60 FPS). And I'd either disable SSAO (bleh) or enable RTAO (yay). Probably enable RTAO and then adjust other settings down if I have to.

Those frame pacing issues on PS5, though. Ouch, and at 30 FPS they'll be even more noticeable and distracting compared to if it was 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB

Loading on PS5 is poor, did they put that much effort in to the port?

Even without using the I/O complex it should at least be the same as XSX.

What GPU your on? Maybe you can go both settings wise.
not sure how is this game now on pc as should be much better than on premiere but watched on twitch when game was new and streamer had to disable ray tracing on rtx 3080 to have stable fps

They rewrote the game to use the PS5 Graphics APIs. So yes, they put a lot of effort into the port, but on the graphics side.
Wouldn't the Unreal engine be doing the heavy-lifting here?

not sure how is this game now on pc as should be much better than on premiere but watched on twitch when game was new and streamer had to disable ray tracing on rtx 3080 to have stable fps

Yeah, i dunno havent got this game myself yet. Not all that optimized of a port if a 3080 struggles there. I think it has dlss support, could help out alot and depending on the implementation look as good as native or even better in some cases.

Loading on PS5 is poor, did they put that much effort in to the port?

Even without using the I/O complex it should at least be the same as XSX.

Some of the CPU vector operations appear to be considerably slower on PS5 (up to -50%), though I have no idea if this would have any impact on loading in this game (or any other). Some zip compressors do use SSE and even AVX though iirc, so it's possible some part of this game or UE4 are configured to use CPU vector operations to speed up loading.

This is really just to say that things shouldn't necessarily be the same between the console in all instances.

Some of the CPU vector operations appear to be considerably slower on PS5 (up to -50%), though I have no idea if this would have any impact on loading in this game (or any other). Some zip compressors do use SSE and even AVX though iirc, so it's possible some part of this game or UE4 are configured to use CPU vector operations to speed up loading.

This is really just to say that things shouldn't necessarily be the same between the console in all instances.

That said it seems a bit unlikely that there should be many games on PS5 that cannot basically load in 2-5 seconds. It would require some really complex world generating or setup for it to be 10s or more imho. And it is certainly not going to be compression related in an optimized scenario, would have to be a weird port that works around the decompression chip etc.

Most situations we can probably safely assume that the work just hasn’t been done yet.

That said it seems a bit unlikely that there should be many games on PS5 that cannot basically load in 2-5 seconds. It would require some really complex world generating or setup for it to be 10s or more imho. And it is certainly not going to be compression related in an optimized scenario, would have to be a weird port that works around the decompression chip etc.

Most situations we can probably safely assume that the work just hasn’t been done yet.
Are there any Unreal engine games on PS5 that load that fast? UE4 games tend to have longer than normal load times on my PC, excluding maybe Gears 5, but that's fairly customized I think. It could just be inefficiencies of the engine.

Yeah, I think we're seeing games that haven't had the time and resources available to make the most of the various features in these new systems. It's more of a point of interest than anything anyone should worry about. The future is definitely bright.

surprised df covered it but its interesting subject for sure (1512p 60fps both on xsx and ps5 tough its not comparison video)

Last edited:
Even if it's not gonna quite live up to that video that's been spread around, I'm just really glad that Ride 4 is getting a bunch of attention. It's been the best bike racing game series around for a while now and deserves the love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back