Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
than me getting to use DLSS once or twice a year (with current game release cadence for games with DLSS support).

If The Ascent has DLSS now, it's only recently been added. It didn't have it at launch. It had RT support but no DLSS support.

No, Ascent had it right at launch. First couple of months of the year, biggest games were Hitman 3, Medium and Nioh 2. Nioh 2 and Medium sport DLSS. Hitman 3 runs in excess of 60 frames on a 1060 at max, so it doesnt need it. Next couple of months, Outriders and maybe Nier Replicant were the 2 more major titles. Outriders sports DLSS, and a fantastic implementation at that, it looks better than the native taa image, with all the grass and foliage being rendered better. Next, going into may, we have Days Gone, RE Village and Metro Enhanced. Metro has DLSS. We also get around this time Doom Eternal and RDR2 with DLSS. Entering into summer we have Necromunda, Cenobylite, The Ascent, Edge of Eternity, all with DLSS.
Then we get to now - Naraka, Myst, Chivalry 2 - all dlss. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Dying Light 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Myth, and so on are on the horizon with DLSS.

As i've said, you have to actively force yourself to say you're not interested in dlss games because there's not a single month without multiple games with it. nvidia claims towards 80 games using dlss, in excess of 70 anyway. The cadence of games with this is excelent and there have gotten to be so many titles that you cant keep up with them anymore like you could a year ago. I get your frustration with price and availability, but this tech is absolutely a highlight and major aspect in choosing a gpu.

I'm currently looking for a new gaming system, in the market for a Playstation 5 but availability is scarce. A gaming laptop like the one reviewed seems the only option as desktop GPU's are hard to get or very high priced. Looking at the Asus Strix G513 5800h RTX3070 115w which is still pricey at 1500euro, but its availabe, cheaper than a similar desktop build, better performance vs the consoles and it's a portable total package pc.

Looking forward to more digital foundry laptop reviews, the UE5 demo ran very well on the used 95w laptop gpu, the engine that will see use in the future.

No, Ascent had it right at launch. First couple of months of the year, biggest games were Hitman 3, Medium and Nioh 2. Nioh 2 and Medium sport DLSS. Hitman 3 runs in excess of 60 frames on a 1060 at max, so it doesnt need it. Next couple of months, Outriders and maybe Nier Replicant were the 2 more major titles. Outriders sports DLSS, and a fantastic implementation at that, it looks better than the native taa image, with all the grass and foliage being rendered better. Next, going into may, we have Days Gone, RE Village and Metro Enhanced. Metro has DLSS. We also get around this time Doom Eternal and RDR2 with DLSS. Entering into summer we have Necromunda, Cenobylite, The Ascent, Edge of Eternity, all with DLSS.
Then we get to now - Naraka, Myst, Chivalry 2 - all dlss. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Dying Light 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Myth, and so on are on the horizon with DLSS.

As i've said, you have to actively force yourself to say you're not interested in dlss games because there's not a single month without multiple games with it. nvidia claims towards 80 games using dlss, in excess of 70 anyway. The cadence of games with this is excelent and there have gotten to be so many titles that you cant keep up with them anymore like you could a year ago. I get your frustration with price and availability, but this tech is absolutely a highlight and major aspect in choosing a gpu.

The absolute last thing I'll be saying on this topic since it appears that you have reading comprehension issues.

I'm guessing you just aren't listening or are in denial. Games with DLSS that I'm not interested in playing mean absolutely nothing to me. They don't make hardware that supports DLSS any more attractive because the games I play don't have DLSS. Does it matter to me if COD has DLSS if I don't play COD? Guardians of the Galaxy? Etc? No.

As for The Ascent it looks like it was an issue with the Game Pass version not having it (it didn't have even have RT at launch), which is the version I played.

Also, I don't know what version of Days Gone you are playing... but...

Users on Steam in June asking developers to implement DLSS
DLSS :: Days Gone General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

The developers saying that the game won't have DLSS.
Days Gone PC won’t have DLSS or ray tracing | PCGamesN

Sorry Brit, but that's the absolute last I'm going to say about it here.

Regards,
SB

Nice mod, but not really a fair comparison. It is like Quake 2 RTX. On the one side of the video you have the unmodded game, on the other side you have a modded game where textures etc have been replaced by newer higher res stuff. It would be a fair comparison to use the new graphic look with and without RT (or Pathtracing). But than we still have all those mods and possibilities that other newer techs (newer than the game) could enhance the game, even without RT it could look much, much better with some newer tricks.

On the other side the video also shows that the denoiser can be real trouble for the RT implementation. Or it is just the wanted look of the pumpgun in this game like some modern stuff looks nowadays
c9c084cf-27ab-451d-9298-a7c40d78f511_1.46741d8e53a66f3324d0961f02c934c5.jpeg
It is not a bug, it is a feature ;) :rolleyes:

Fair comparison? Huh? That is Not the purpose of the Video or the engine Release at All.
It exists to exist and be intellectuslly intriging. it does not have to justify its existence or utility based on some arbitrary metric of comparing itself to other things that do not even exist. There is no rasterised Version of Serious Sam that Has Real time bounce lighting or anything.

Do you want that for the Sole purpose of saying "actually you Do not need RT to make a good looking game"? What purpose?

Fair comparison? Huh? That is Not the purpose of the Video or the engine Release at All.
It exists to exist and be intellectuslly intriging. it does not have to justify its existence or utility based on some arbitrary metric of comparing itself to other things that do not even exist. There is no rasterised Version of Serious Sam that Has Real time bounce lighting or anything.

Do you want that for the Sole purpose of saying "actually you Do not need RT to make a good looking game"? What purpose?
Yes I know. But those comparisons don't show just the enhancements through RT but artificially enhance picture quality also through other stuff. Technically this is impressive (especially for just a mod) but the video seems to show "hey look this is the original game and this is how it looks with RT". Just like the Quake 2 RTX Demo video from nvidia. I know you didn't have that intention, but this is how this would look for someone who does not understand how this really works. ;)

Last edited:
Technically this is impressive (especially for just a mod) but the video seems to show "hey look this is the original game and this is how it looks with RT".
I do not understand - what is wrong with that at all? I am showing 2 different renderers of a game and talking about performance. Completely objective take more or less with some sprinklings of "this is cool".
The only non ray traced related difference between Serious Sam and its Path Traced renderer is the inclusion of bloom and textures with material properties. The rest is due to path tracing.
Just like the Quake 2 RTX Demo video from nvidia.
Did you watch my original Q2RTX video? I compare Q2 RTX to the original in OpenGL, to a heavily modded source with stencil shadows, bloom, and normal maps, to Quake 2 RTX. You must be thinking of some other content creator.

Did you watch my original Q2RTX video? I compare Q2 RTX to the original in OpenGL, to a heavily modded source with stencil shadows, bloom, and normal maps, to Quake 2 RTX. You must be thinking of some other content creator.

I think he meant the Q2 RTX video that NV produced, not the one that you produced, at least that's how I read that part of his comment.

Regards,
SB

This new video portrais what we are seeing everywhere. I think expectations have been too high, not just the last showcase from playstation, but the generation in general. Like they mentioned, all of a sudden Horizon 2 wasn't all that bad looking, it should have got more credit for it's graphics. Basically they are dailing back expectations, and to be honest that was bound to happen.
I myself blamed Jim Ryan and supposedly cross-gen, but as someone on this forum pointed out, it's likely more due to the smalles increase in hardware ever for a console launch, and thus a smaller increase in graphical fidelity overall.

It is all about the gameplay anyway, i'm sure Insomniac etc got that covered. Perhaps, like they mention in the video too much Marvel and superhero games. Not so much diversity anymore which is a bummer.
Another point, dark1x seems very offensive to critique when his co-workers comment flaws regarding certain games. Perhaps something that could be improved upon. Otherwise stellar analysis.

Quote from John
It's interesting that seeing these cross gen games from both console manufactures honestly made me appreciate some of the earlier stuff we've seen already like you look at Demon Soul's at launch or like Ratchet and Clank an those really feel significantly beyond what you might have seen on PS4 and it feels like now the new games we are seeing in general feel less impressive the some of those games.
Glad that he said it. Hopefully we will see more games that graphically look to be of the same caliber as Demon's Soul and Ratchet and Clank at next year's E3 but I expected to see more real next gen looking games to start being advertised by now pandemic or not. Games for 2023 and 2024.

This is not to pick on the Sony presentation, I expected to see stuff that could be considered as impressive as Demon Soul's at this past E3 and Gamescom. I know TGS is right around the corner but...I'm just going to leave it at that.

Another point, dark1x seems very offensive to critique when his co-workers comment flaws regarding certain games. Perhaps something that could be improved upon. Otherwise stellar analysis.
That is just a part of discourse IMO. To be honest if you are referring to the GT7 part of the video, I think John might have helped rescue the whole thing. If what Audi said had gone unchecked I'm sure certain people would be up in arms about what he said.

Last edited:
Like they mentioned, all of a sudden Horizon 2 wasn't all that bad looking, it should have got more credit for it's graphics. Basically they are dailing back expectations, and to be honest that was bound to happen.
Why bound to happen?
Normally games start to look a lot better.
It's due to cross gen as you mentioned, Sony implied wasn't going to be such a big thing.
Another point, dark1x seems very offensive to critique when his co-workers comment flaws regarding certain games.
Have to admit I'm unsure when your talking about?
Any debate and differences in opinions is ok in my books and I don't remember seeing anything at all that even made me raise an eyebrow.

Why bound to happen?
Normally games start to look a lot better.
It's due to cross gen as you mentioned, Sony implied wasn't going to be such a big thing.
Have to admit I'm unsure when your talking about?
Any debate and differences in opinions is ok in my books and I don't remember seeing anything at all that even made me raise an eyebrow.

I think it was the comments about Gran Turismo looking flat. Linneman was right though. The different artistic design and low colour saturation is intentional compared to the bombastic Forza Horizon.

probably because saying that gt has not enough contrast was bizzare when many racing fans think gt sport its too colorful/contrasty and should have more realistic palette like for example acc ;d
all of a sudden Horizon 2 wasn't all that bad looking
who said h2 look bad ? most indluding me were amazed by gameplay trailer graphics even tough its crossgen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back