Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youtube Disclaimer:

Once again, this video was mastered at 4K quality - but we have no idea when YouTube's encoders will deliver a full 4K encode. Or indeed the higher quality 1080p version that usually comes with it. We have logged support requests with YouTube last week and have still received no positive feedback - and can only apologise for the problems with the platform.​
I must say, not sure what's happening with YT but the quality has been abysmal for a while now. Watching this at 1080p on my laptop and the quality here is Sony Livestream kind of low quality. and you know how I love that.

Per Uzupedro @era,
  • PS5 and XSX uses the exact same configurations. RT resolution, geometry, shadows etc
  • XSS uses lower configurations, like lower resolution on shadows, lower LOD with pop-in being more noticeable and lower anisotropic filtering, making textures blurrier.
  • And the same applies to RT LOD, more distant buildings doesn't appear on reflections
  • For some reason the XSX uses a slightly lower AF than PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as PS5's.
  • For some reason puddles don't reflects on RT on the PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as XSX's.
  • PS5 has a faster loading time(PS5 18:26s +- and XSX/XSS 26s +-), but Alex doesn't find it much impressive overall
  • Resolution and resolution scaling is basically identical between XSX and PS5 versions, dips more likely to happen in night sections and with high vegetation, with the lower being 1440P, but unlikely to happen.
  • XSS has a lowest of 900P but it is very stable on 1080P, but even so Alex thinks it looks worse than 1080P due RT resolutions, which worsens the overall image quality, the same effect happens on the XSX/PS5, but at a lower degree.
  • Locked 30FPS on all consoles.
  • Hidden 60FPS mode on the configurations.

I must say, not sure what's happening with YT but the quality has been abysmal for a while now. Watching this at 1080p on my laptop and the quality here is Sony Livestream kind of low quality. and you know how I love that.

Yeah, for the past week or so I've given up on seeing any actual quality from YouTube videos, even on 1080p displays. Its been so bad. At least the videos still had audio to explain whats going on.

This must be a move by Google to prevent showing how great these games look on Microsoft and Sony consoles to artificially keep their Stadia offering looking viable...

/s

This is the first big 30fps game that is compared between both consoles. At 30fps + RT I was actually expecting a higher resolution on XSX particularly with DRS.

With the different architectures of those machines I was expecting a higher resolution at 30fps on XSX and a higher framerate on PS5 in the >60fps games. Cerny has done a really great job with PS5. The focus on efficiency + fast and narrow design seem to work.

Is it a summary, of the verges round up, of digital foundry findings?

They mention the DF analysis, and that MS is working on fixes, seemingly. These two boxes are close already now, i think it doesnt really matter which you get for multiplat games.

This is the first big 30fps game that is compared between both consoles. At 30fps + RT I was actually expecting a higher resolution on XSX particularly with DRS.

With the different architectures of those machines I was expecting a higher resolution at 30fps on XSX and a higher framerate on PS5 in the >60fps games. Cerny has done a really great job with PS5. The focus on efficiency + fast and narrow design seem to work.

Not to sound like a broken record, but developers and trusted media folks have been telling us this for almost a year now, that these systems are more Hans and Franz than Julius and Vincent.

Not to sound like a broken record, but developers and trusted media folks have been telling us this for almost a year now, that these systems are more Hans and Franz than Julius and Vincent.

In addition to that, you have to take into account that these games had hard target timelines and releasing on so many platforms Xbox One, One X, PS4, 4Pro, PS5, Series X, Series S, PC, Stadia and Luna. This is an extremely fine showing by the devs and publisher for Watch Dogs Legion.

I'm expecting most cross-gen multi-platform or even multi-platform games to use what's most common between all the systems. Maybe in due time the games will be finely tuned or tweaked to show the strengths of both without negatively impacting the others.

Seems to be about the Verge article with some links to existing DF Analysis Videos.
Ok, isn't eurogamer sister site to digital foundry.

Warren's tweet that was posted here somewhere made it sound like he had some recent dev feedback. Which I didn't really see in the article.

Ok, isn't eurogamer sister site to digital foundry.

Warren's tweet that was posted here somewhere made it sound like he had some recent dev feedback. Which I didn't really see in the article.

Oh, I wasn't saying what was in Tom Warren's article, just commenting on what the EuroGamer link that was posted today was about. I still haven't given Warren's article a look.

TLDR: The new EG link mentioned the existing DF Analysis Videos and then went on to talk about Warren's article

In days of dynamic resolution, DLSS and checkerboarding performance lead of 10-20% is now pretty much dick measuring. Almost can't spot the difference in stills, let alone in real time.

Oh, I wasn't saying what was in Tom Warren's article, just commenting on what the EuroGamer link that was posted today was about. I still haven't given Warren's article a look.

TLDR: The new EG link mentioned the existing DF Analysis Videos and then went on to talk about Warren's article
Yea sorry, should've been clearer. We're all on the same page.

I just happened to spin of on my disappointment of the verges article after reading the tweet.

I feel like DF's work is more important for identifying bugs than actually comparing consoles. I'm positive that most people I know can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K when they're sitting 10 feet from my 75" TV. Nor can they even tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps. Some can tell that 60 fps is "more smooth" than 30 fps though. That's the real world outside of these forums. With that said I'm glad they're pushing the games as far as they can for people like us. :)

I feel like DF's work is more important for identifying bugs than actually comparing consoles. I'm positive that most people I know can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K when they're sitting 10 feet from my 75" TV. Nor can they even tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps. Some can tell that 60 fps is "more smooth" than 30 fps though. That's the real world outside of these forums. With that said I'm glad they're pushing the games as far as they can for people like us. :)

DF in year 2023: "Our 2 hour long Starfield Quality Assurance Analysis video has now been posted"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back