Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work @Dictator

It's a funny game. It can look pretty average at times IMO, but in some places it can look spectacular with the Ray Tracing.

This a is cross gen games. character are average for example. We need to wait probably end of 2023 and forward to see games made from scratch with next generation features in mind. This is the game which begins to be developed in 2019/2020 who will shine later.

Rt reflection are good.

Agreed. And you know what? I had to think again of an exposition of a famous Belgian painter again, which showed in great detail what kind of innovations in paint materials combined with amazing skill and even taking lights from the windows of the room it would be shown in into account to allow him to achieve new heights in realism some 500 years ago.

Such amazing strides are being made in computer graphics today and in 500 years (less) they will be studied as something quaint as stuff like environment scanning, full raytracing and photogrammetry et al have taken over, and this will be like the pixel art of the future, and much of it forgotten.

Agreed. And you know what? I had to think again of an exposition of a famous Belgian painter again, which showed in great detail what kind of innovations in paint materials combined with amazing skill and even taking lights from the windows of the room it would be shown in into account to allow him to achieve new heights in realism some 500 years ago.

Such amazing strides are being made in computer graphics today and in 500 years (less) they will be studied as something quaint as stuff like environment scanning, full raytracing and photogrammetry et al have taken over, and this will be like the pixel art of the future, and much of it forgotten.

You assume the human race will be around in 500 years? [emoji6]

Can we change @Dictator custom title to "Terrified"? :) Great job on the video BTW. Even this dummy could follow along. ;)

Tommy McClain
giphy.gif

More-realistic impressions about performance and problems on PC:

DLSS is "under-utilising" the GPU and he prefers to run with 90% (or 85%?) temporal upscaling which is smoother.

More-realistic impressions about performance and problems on PC:

DLSS is "under-utilising" the GPU and he prefers to run with 90% (or 85%?) temporal upscaling which is smoother.
He may be storage i/o limited, or maybe the fact that he's using a 10GB graphics card on a game that says it needs 11GB for 4k max settings is holding him back. He's sort of picked up on the trend of games lately that have dumb max settings, where there's almost no visual uplift for the extra "quality' being rendered. But he doesn't want to have to tweak down to playable settings because he doesn't feel like he should have to. Crysis was one of the first games like this that I can remember, where the max settings turned off all texture compression, which gave you a minor uplift in quality but used more memory than was available on any graphics card of it's era.

Also, Joker says he was running the game without ray tracing... That game looks pretty great without it.

he's using a 10GB graphics card on a game that says it needs 11GB for 4k max settings is holding him back.
He did tweak his settings down. Including not using ray tracing, as you noticed, which consumes a few hundred MB.

But yes, 10GB on a 4K card is just dumb.

He did tweak his settings down. Including not using ray tracing, as you noticed, which consumes a few hundred MB.

But yes, 10GB on a 4K card is just dumb.
He mentions specifically that he doesn't fell like he should have to tweak down, so he didn't, except for not running with ray tracing, and moving the resolution slider down to 85 or 90. I've seen some other early impressions say that the game doesn't look as good as it should for how bad it runs, and that may be true, but if you are having performance issues and don't want to change some settings to see if they will help, well that tells me nothing about how well the game scales. And at that point, it's less a review of the game's performance and more a thin slice of information showing how all settings max except resolution scaling and RT off perform on his specific rig.

I wouldn't say that's a new trend!
Ubisoft have perfected it, though. It's been the story with most of their games since the start of this generation. I will say, though, max quality clouds look great, but I'm glad the performance can be reclaimed by ticking that back a notch or two, with little impact on image quality.

Has there been any solid confirmation on usable ram (for developers/games) on XBSX/S and PS5? The only thing that I vaguely remember was 8GB for S, 13GB for X, and nothing on PS5.

Yes, 13.5 GB for X.

No.
Rumored to be 8GB for Series S, but not confirmed.
No information at all for PS5.

Good for X!

I still can't understand why Nvidia only provided 10GB of VRAM for the 3080 (technically I do know why, just to introduce a 3080ti edition with more memory later). I knew back in September that card would start running into frame-buffer limitations when dealing with 4K and higher quality settings.

He mentions specifically that he doesn't fell like he should have to tweak down, so he didn't
He talked about other settings such as "environment" that he tweaked, too.

Anyway, I posted his video because I think DF's video was very poor in its performance analysis. Also, he, and others, have noted that the built-in benchmark is not representative of gameplay.

Good for X!

I still can't understand why Nvidia only provided 10GB of VRAM for the 3080 (technically I do know why, just to introduce a 3080ti edition with more memory later). I knew back in September that card would start running into frame-buffer limitations when dealing with 4K and higher quality settings.
from this 13.5gb only 10 has capable bandwidth for gpu on xsx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back