Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find the gap between open world and closed world graphics has narrowed a lot these years.
Gameplay vs Gameplay i mean.

I think a lot of that is because of all of the work companies have done to improve how they implement loading data in open-world games. The Elan Ruskin talk on Insomniac's Spiderman is pretty awesome.

but with the streaming tech of the PS5, the difference between open world games and linear should be gone ?
Sure...if money's no object. How much did it cost to create the assets for RDR2? How much would it cost to create the assets needed to fill the world only on a whole level of quality higher?

They don't have to explicitly say it, they simply implied it indirectly by saying "but the level of detail here is ridiculously high" as in direct comparison to RDR2.

I was just surprised that when after watching i nowhere heard them saying that it had more detail then RDR2. It was that you summed up here.

So if RDR2 is as high, they wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

No, it is what you wanted to hear. I think one can take it as whatever. Unless they explicitly say it, it isn't a claim made by DF. It probably is too early to make such a claim aswell.

. Also you don't need DF to spell it out for you, it's easy to spot the level of detail in the density of the trees, the quality of the trees, the shading on them and the level of incidental detail on the assets in general.

I don't think last of us 2 looks better in general, so far. I think both have their sides, but last of us 2 certainly doesn't look 'better' in total. It's the quality of the trees, lighting etc just that i do not really think are standing out. Could be because the more natural setting is harder to do.
That DF and others are even comparing a massive open world game versus a linear title, developed exclusive to one platform by one of the best studios says something anyway. Congrats to Rockstar, yes the cost of doing a game like that was sure not cheap.

There's nothing wrong with it, but once again you've cherry picked this comment.
If you're unsure of the definition of cherry picking:

Exactly, i read Ultragpu's post and took for granted that DF stated that. They didn't claim it in the video i watched, if they didn't re-upload it?

Sure...if money's no object. How much did it cost to create the assets for RDR2? How much would it cost to create the assets needed to fill the world only on a whole level of quality higher?

of course ! but i was just talking about the technical aspect of this. Money and time are also needed.

Exactly, i read Ultragpu's post and took for granted that DF stated that. They didn't claim it in the video i watched, if they didn't re-upload it?
Start at 3:47. It's not been altered. He just said that it reminds him of the RDR2 but the level of detail here is ridiculously high. It's an impression and I don't think people should take it out of context. I don't think John sleeps well at night with fanboys banging on his door whenever he loves or doesn't love the fanboys games of choice.

Start at 3:47. It's not been altered. He just said that it reminds him of the RDR2 but the level of detail here is ridiculously high. It's an impression and I don't think people should take it out of context. I don't think John sleeps well at night with fanboys banging on his door whenever he loves or doesn't love the fanboys games of choice.

Ok, but he doesn't really say it looks better. They did with other games though, RDR2 they thought was atleast on par with HZD and if anything, surpassing it. Don't think they are afraid of noting that one game looks better then the other.

What do you think the word but here implies? If you put as much effort into accusing me of fanboyism then you would deduce the meaning of that word long ago. It's obvious it hints how the level of detail is much higher in Tlou.

What do you think the word but here implies? If you put as much effort into accusing me of fanboyism then you would deduce the meaning of that word long ago. It's obvious it hints how the level of detail is much higher in Tlou.
John actually prefers how RDR2 looks there!
"Eh, I wouldn't read into it - this isn't a definitive statement. I just prefer the lighting and snow materials featured in RDR2 during the snowy sequences. It's literally just a first impression. There's just something about this area in Red Dead that really impresses me."
Digital Foundry's opinion is just an opinion like any other. They can talk about tech all they want, but if they're picking what looks better between horizon zero dawn and red dead redemption 2, it's just another opinion and no one has to agree with them..
Yeaaa!

I’m accusing you of cherry picking; not fanboyism.
When you write “what do you think the word ‘but’ here implies. You’re leading the discussion to ensure that there is only one possibility and interpretation; which is the side of the argument that you have chosen.

You have very little data to go on here; as does John. He was impressed by what he saw and those were the words he chooses. He was not asked to evaluate the game in the way in which you are implying. He brought his first impressions.

A real debate in one that acknowledges a wide berth of details, evidence, etc before we can make clear statements that you have made. Since that evidence is very weak; many posters and myself have been rejecting your claims of TLOU2 deviations if graphical superiority over RDR2.

I’m accusing you of cherry picking; not fanboyism.
When you write “what do you think the word ‘but’ here implies. You’re leading the discussion to ensure that there is only one possibility and interpretation; which is the side of the argument that you have chosen.

You have very little data to go on here; as does John. He was impressed by what he saw and those were the words he chooses. He was not asked to evaluate the game in the way in which you are implying. He brought his first impressions.

A real debate in one that acknowledges a wide berth of details, evidence, etc before we can make clear statements that you have made. Since that evidence is very weak; many posters and myself have been rejecting your claims of TLOU2 deviations if graphical superiority over RDR2.
It's ok if we have different interpretation of his wording, don't have to go in essay about it. We're all sharing our own opinions here, I didn't mean to set my own as fact and if I did make such an impression just ignore it :). We'll come back to it once a full analysis is published for the retail version yes?

It's ok if we have different interpretation of his wording, don't have to go in essay about it. We're all sharing our own opinions here, I didn't mean to set my own as fact and if I did make such an impression just ignore it :). We'll come back to it once a full analysis is published for the retail version yes?
lol that's fine, we're all waiting for a proper full analysis of the published version yes.

did i missunderstand or did he say that the facial demos on dreamcast are still superior in complexity to the shenmue 3 models ?

don't think so !

More that they are better looking (the face demos, not the actual game faces), and he is right.
One of the ugliest UE4 games ever made, and few times was seen such a massive waste of polygons.

What I disagree with him is about the light.
"More realistic"? Maybe, but not the best lighting for this poor art. Personally the original is more pleasing.

John actually prefers how RDR2 looks there!
"Eh, I wouldn't read into it - this isn't a definitive statement. I just prefer the lighting and snow materials featured in RDR2 during the snowy sequences. It's literally just a first impression. There's just something about this area in Red Dead that really impresses me."

Yeaaa!

And with that we have some real DF opinion :)

More that they are better looking (the face demos, not the actual game faces), and he is right.
One of the ugliest UE4 games ever made, and few times was seen such a massive waste of polygons.

What I disagree with him is about the light.
"More realistic"? Maybe, but not the best lighting for this poor art. Personally the original is more pleasing.
Is facial animation of Dreamcast high-end face better than that of SHENMUE 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back