Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Performances are atrocious in this mode on XB1. It's more a gimmick than a real gameplay bonus...

2. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

I thought so based on DF article but I had the occasion of watching some different Gears 5 footage recently (VG tech video) and I am not sure about that anymore.

First Gears 5 has a very aggressive dynamic res from 1080p to 1800p (never reaching native 4K). Yes in small corridors highest res (1800p reconstructed to 4K) is achieved but otherwise it looks more like this at 1080p without proper taa coverage (and a blocky low res explosion). Secondly the game does not sustain 60fps at all, there are plenty of moments running in the mid 50fps range once shooting occurs.

Compared to God of war assets are much lower quality with low res assets everywhere like here:

Apparently the game is using base Xbox textures (and effects) which explain the low res assets everywhere and low quality of effects.

I say God of War is much more impressive, yes it's running only at 1080p on Pro using the performance mode, but at least it's consistent. I am sure if they had used a very aggressive dynamic resolution the game would have reached much higher res in linear corridors where the game is already easily locked at 60fps.

Yes in the main hub the game runs at 40-50 but this level is incredibly huge, much bigger than the biggest level in Gears 5. And the game in most moments run at solid 60fps on Pro. Notably in the snowy mountain, a beautiful level with snow deformation, weather effects, volumetric effects and such, all that with higher quality assets and high level of AF everywhere. I don't think there is much AF in Gears 5 from what I saw. I thought Xbox hardware was proficient at displaying high level of AF ?

They had others priorities in Gears 5, clearly. the aim was first to target 4K and target 60fps, whatever the costs (low resolution of assets, low resolution of effects).

#462 Globalisateur, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. chris1515

Veteran Regular

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...dget-for-remedys-control-between-20m-and-30m/

The CEO of Remedy talk about peak development at 100 and that it was very difficult to do a AAA with this budget...

Naughty dog including the ICE Team they are 520 people, Guerrilla Games want to reach 400 people, Coalition they are 400, 343 Industry more than 500..

And I don't even talk about Rockstar with more than 3000 peoples in the credit of the game...

4. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Running a game at twice the framerate is extremely expensive and i have no doubt that the Pro would have performed notably worse, unless there's a major CPU bottleneck. The Pro would still perform worse whatever is the bottleneck though : it has virtually no advantage over the X.

Actually, it can be worse than that :

#464 Recop, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Looking at the frame time stats, god of war does run noticeably worse on ps4 pro than gears5 does on one x. Gears 5 stays at 60Hz 95% of the time, where god of war only stays at 60hz 85% of the time. At the same time, they both have different designs, different visual goals etc etc, and I'm not sure how anyone can make a fair comparison. PS4 Pro is also a less powerful console, so you wouldn't expect the same performance profile for the same game anyway.

Recop likes this.
  6. chris1515

Veteran Regular

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-teraflop-face-off-current-gen-vs-next-gen

pharma likes this.
  7. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

As simple as that.

And since Sony and MS seem to have very similar hardware now, i think it will be easy to find out which console is the most powerful the next gen pretty quickly.

The secret sauce argument ended with the 360/PS3 era.

pharma and Dictator like this.
  8. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

secret sauce are exclusives now
    (and samuraï sauce with french fries)

BRiT likes this.
  9. Johnglen

Newcomer

This is one of the funniest posts ever in this forum. Here’s a tip Gears 5 runs at double the frame rate of all these «more technically advanced» games while looking substantially better and , at least compared to PS4 pro games, at much higher resolutions too. Comparing Gears 5 with something like....far cry 5 and control is ridiculous anyway you see it. Whatever, bringing down Xbox games has been a thing since the xbox360 and will continue in the foreseeable future.

10. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Less game comparison on subjective qualities and more discussion of DF Technical articles, please.

11. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Calm down, It's an opinion piece. So no need for the console warrior defending antics.

12. Svensk Viking

Regular

I miss back when Digitalfoundry tried to match the base console settings on a PC with similar specs. Now that it's late-gen games, I'd like to see if a HD 7950 or GTX 680/750Ti still unquestionably outperform the consoles.

13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Love this game...

14. techuse

Newcomer

A 750ti does not compete with Ps4 in the vast majority of cases but it can probably deliver results comparable to Xbox One. A 680/770 is more of a match for Ps4 these days. The 7950 performs a bit better.

15. PSman1700

Newcomer

More like 7850 or 7870, a GTX670 or higher is asking too much in most cases.

16. techuse

Newcomer

A 670 falls behind a Ps4 in lots of titles these days. It has not aged well.

17. PSman1700

Newcomer

When that 670 pc is running at higher preset settings yes.

18. techuse

Newcomer

You should check some recent benchmarks. A 670 more often than not gets beaten handily by a 7870.

19. PSman1700

Newcomer

A 7870 also more often then not outperforms the base PS4. Looking at benchmarks, a 760, or anything in the 670 range seems to perform better then a base PS4, without having to go around with dynamic resolutions, at somewhat higher settings too. A 670 was a 7970 class GPU from early 2012. GTX 780 can't in life be compared to the base PS4 at all, its probably closer to the pro then.

20. pharma

Veteran Regular